1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid SUVs are actually a bad thing.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Gurmail, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Real life mpg for hybrid SUVs will probably end up being around 20. It still is better than normal SUVs but, now the people will start thinking its alright or even good to needlessly buy an SUV since it's a Hybrid and supposedly green. 20-25 mpg is still far less than they could get in a Prius(45-55mpg). The Prius can seat 4 comfortably, haul a lot of stuff with the folding seats and can even carry 5 when needed. It is not worth buying an SUV for the couple of times a year that on e may have to carry more than 5 passengers. Somehow people have started believing that if they have children, they need an SUV whereas, cars do just fine and have been doing so for decades before the recent SUV craze. It is silly to label a vehicle as hybrid, equaling it to being green and fuel efficent, and only get 20-30 mpg which is exceeded by most mid size cars like the Civic. Now many people who thought they should buy a hybrid will start buying Suv hybrids and think they are doing something good while they could have done much better by buying a smaller hybrid. This, ofcourse doesn't apply to those few who really need an SUV(if there is any such person).

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm gonna have to slightly disagree there...I think that for the number of people who would consider hybrid cars but then buy the SUV hybrid instead, there would be at least 3-5 people who would buy the hybrid SUV but would have never previously considered a hybrid. At this stage of hybrid development, the number one goal should be creating broader appeal and a wider base of products.

There is also the fact that emissions are far far reduced...but for those that simply wish to curb oil usage, that's not very relevant.

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Having to deal with medical HMO's every day, it has occured to me that there could be a "prior authorization" requirement before one would be allowed to buy an SUV.... But then again, no chance for that after all this is America. :oops:

4. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They could ban SUVs like they did marijuana and machine guns in the 30s...create a tax that upon paying, gets you a stamp that you must show to posess the guns or marijuana. Don't actually make the stamp. Job done. :mrgreen:

5. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For many, development and acceptance of the hybrid technology is the main goal, but, why was the hybrid invented? It was to get higher mpg and lesser pollution, right? ICE is well developed and can be used in a Hummer to get 6-8 mpg ( real life) or over 45 mpg in some smaller cars, especialy outside of North America. Similarly the hybrid technology can be and should be used to improve mpg as much as realistically possible by having a small but functional vehicle that gets high mpg rather than a useless, huge monstrosity(SUVs) and making them a hybrid and getting a little better mileage, far less than say the Prius. I am concerned that as hybrids get popular, many people may just think hybrids are good and buy SUVs thinking that as they are hybrid, they are equaly good as the Prius or HCH etc.

6. Arvin

Arvin New Member

educated consumers should know that a hybrid SUV could never get the same mpg as a hybrid small economy car like Prius, Civic. If a full size SUV or truck can get 20-30 mpg thats already a huge improvement for now IMO. Like other said, Hybrid SUV helps to increase the size of the market for hybrid technique.

7. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Educated consumers", yes, but what about the rest( the majority). The hybrid technique will be hijacked by channeling it towards SUVs and will not realize its great potential. Look at GM with its so called hybris improving the mileage by 1(one) mile per gallon!! They say it is a 10% improvement and it doesn't sound bad if looked at that way. Thus, we will see hybrid SUVs(vehicles that should exist in the first place) claim they get a 30-40% improvement in mpg and the people will fall for it.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to strongly disagree with you. While I understand your point we just can not force the entire world into compact size vehicles. I'll almost certainly buy a Highlander Hybrid in '06. I have a number of reasons--note I didn't say a number of 'justifications'.

1)I like the size. Given your arguement that you can fit a family into a Prius size vehicle I'll tell you first hand that it's a tight squeeze getting 3 car seats for my twin 5 year olds and infant daughter in the back. Put me and my wife in front and that 'big cargo area' becomes very small...esp. if you have to get the stroller and a couple bags of luggage. I'm almost 6' tall, and despite the proclaimations that there's 'plenty of room' from some 6'4" folks I find the driver's side leg room pretty cramped compared to my Expedition. I like being really comfortable.

My family travels...it's much easier and more practical to have an SUV to haul luggage, camping gear, baby stuff, food, etc. Sure, you could rent one when you need it, but various times I need something like this... I bought a water softner last week. So much easier to just dump it in the back of the Expedition than to try to figure out how to get it home otherwise.

People in the US can learn to treat the environment better, and I hope they do...but it's gonna be baby steps, and it's gonna take a back seat to personal desires. If we can get more people who will drive an SUV regardless of the MPG or emissions to choose a hybrid then we've taken one of those baby steps.

I don't disagree with your utopic view, but it's just not realistic. The hybrid SUV/Minivan, etc. trend is a realistic step to achieve, eventually, the greater goal.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

I tend to side with Evan on this, but for my own personal requirements I'll never own an SUV - I can live without the extra cargo capacity, and won't have children to ever worry about, so for me personally, it would be wasteful ever to own one, unless of course it was necessitated by a new business (highly unlikely).

That being said, I think the key goal for hybrids shouldn't be fuel consumption - granted, that is a definate benefit where technology needs to be pushed - however I'd much rather see the push towards better emissions for all, especially SUVs, Semi trucks, and diesels.

I know Ford has "co-opted" the technology in their Escape with Toyota, but I'm greatly worried about their product succeeding. This could really be a big make-or-break for hybrids in the general public in the US. And Ford, with their less than reliable record comparitavely speaking, unveiling what is basically a first generation hybrid (with a 7 or 8 year old powertrain design which is sturdy) - I'm afraid that if this SUV fails to meet the needs in general, sure Toyota and others will continue to produce what they see fit, but I think it could possibly be a sign that the American auto manufacturers would avoid the technology at all costs then.

On the other hand, Ford should be proud, and I really hope the Escape is the biggest success they ever have - it would certainly help quell many of the pointless arguments against hybrids and could really push them into mainstream society in the US.

-m.

10. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of the benefits of the hybrid system is that it can make a smaller ICE feel like a larger one in terms of performance. If hybrid SUV sales can reduce the number of v8's on the road than that's a good thing.

The Prius and Civic hybrids make great little commuter cars and function nicely as light duty family cars but even with the generous cargo space you have to be careful hauling stuff due to the weight restrictions -- for the Prius it's 800 lbs total for people and cargo. Four healthy people in the car uses about 3/4 of the capacity and that's not allowing for the obesity of the average American. Plus there's the peace of mind of having 4WD or AWD and towing capacity.

I would drive an SUV as a primary car but I'm seriously considering a hybrid Highlander for a weekend/second vehicle. I also like the idea of being able to help out in the occasional snow emergency by offering rides to doctors and nurses to and from the local hospital.

11. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Think about it this way: what if all cars and trucks were hybrids? I expect that most readers here would agree that that would be a good thing. So with that in mind I would say that a hybrid SUV is a step in the right direction.

I believe that when the price of gas gets high enough then most consumers will pay serious attention to MPG and many will decide to drive smaller, more fuel efficient, cars.

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another benefit I see of Hybrid SUVs is the 'education' possibilities for the drivers.

The likely buyer was already in the market for an SUV. Few people are going to say "Oh Cool, now I don't have to buy that Camry, I can get a bigger vehicle".

Until now, SUV drivers have accepted that they are going to get crappy mileage. Thus, they really don't drive efficiently, because they EXPECT their mileage to suck.

When they get in a Hybrid, the little moving bars showing the effects of their driving habits will have the same Pavlovian Effect on them that they do on many Prius drivers :)

They will try to increase mileage, and in learning the secrets of "Easy Does It", they will experience the same calming 'Prizak' effect that many of us have found.

The end result is that they will be more relaxed and considerate drivers.

Then, once they have the bug, maybe they'll go for a Prius next, for the full strength does of 'Prizak' :)

13. cnetter

cnetter New Member

The Prius that I have on order is, in a sense, a compromise for me. I want an everyday vehicle that gets better mileage than the 21 MPG I get out of my minivan. And the environmentalist in me wants to reduce emissions as much as reasonably possible. BUT we still travel as a family and quite frankly the Prius isn't going to cut it for that. For that matter neither will the Ford Escape, since we would be able to fit everything in it either.

But since the ol' minivan ain't going to last forever, I'm getting a Prius for everyday use and will keep the minivan running as long as I can. (I shooting for a 1/4 million miles.)

What I was REALLY hoping would appear was a hybrid minivan. Hopefully someone will come out with one of those before mine dies of old age.

14. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I never thought I would drive an SUV, but that was before I owned a house. We've had hatchbacks before, and there is no comparison to the amount of stuff that fits in my Infiniti FX35 that will not fit in my partner's Mazda3 5-door. Now that I've made the switch from 2 seater convertibles to an SUV, there's no going back. I am seriously considering the Toyota Highlander Hybrid when it comes out. I am also going to look at the Escape as soon as it arrives at my dealer.

15. scotto

scotto New Member

I can't believe that no one has challenged this first statement yet. From everything I've read, the hybrid SUVs (at least the small ones like the Highlander) should get closer to 30 (EPA numbers). Even with real world driving, I still expect in the mid to high 20s. Granted, I'm relying on Toyota press, but with their sensitivity to public reaction to inflated claims, I tend to think that their numbers are in the right ballpark. According to Toyota's press, "...[the Highlander's] EPA estimated fuel economy ratings will be better than the 27.6 mpg average for compact sedans." How much better, they don't say, but one can guess it will be in the 30 +/- 2 ballpark. Given that real world driving for hybrids seems to run about 15% under EPA numbers (most people get in the mid-40s for the Prius), that still puts real world mileage closer to 25.

If you have a source for your 20 mpg number, I'd like to hear it. Keep in mind that it's also not just about the mileage, it's also about emissions. The Highlander will be one of the first SUVs to meet SULEV standards. That's a VERY GOOD THING in my book.

While I don't intend to get one, I understand that some people's needs might require one, and it's better than the alternative vehicles of this size. I agree that people who buy them just to commute back and forth to work are not acting responsibly, but if they truly NEED a larger vehicle (my sister-in-law has five kids), then I would support their purchase of a Highlander.

Like another poster suggested, they need to come out with a hybrid minivan to better meet some of these needs. A Toyota Sienna with HSD would be sweet!

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am also going to add my two cense. I want to see hybrids of all types. There are parts of this country where owing a pick up or a SUV is really a necessity. Look at Montana where my son lives now. Lots of dirt roads many inadequately graded, occasional small streams to ford. Ice and snow in the winter and people there work and hall stuff in their cars, and pull trailers. There are lots of places a compact can not go and things it can not do well. There hybrid SUVs and Pickups would be a good. Even places like Helena Montana are getting smog during inversions. What the use is the Big Sky when you can't see it.
    Having said that many if not most people get a SUV for the wrong reason. It gives them a sense of power, because of the size. You see that in their aggressive "I'm bigger than you" driving style. They also have a very false sense of safety. More often than not this cars are being bought for psychological and emotional reasons.

17. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The rEscape 4Cyl 2x4 Manual 24 City 29 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 2x4 Auto 22 City 25 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 4x4 Manual 22 City 26 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 4x4 Auto 19 City 22 Highway

Escape 6Cyl 2x4 Auto 19 City 25 Highway
    Escape 6Cyl 4x4 Auto 18 City 23 Highway
    Real life mpg figure of "around 20" was deduced from the other post about Escape's EPA rating of 23 hwy and 26 city. Most people outside of North America regularly drive cars so "small" that they would put the smallest of American cars to shame. These people also have families and children and need to haul things. However, because fuel is more expensive and, in some countries the incomes are lower for some, they strike a compromise between fuel efficency and their desires. It is like a house. You live in a studio as a student, then move to a one bedroom and then a house and a larger house and so on. After every move you think it is impossible to move back even though you had been managing for years. If someone like Dr Evan Fusco has to take a family of 5 on a long trip, it is pehaps more reasonable for them to drive an SUV. However, SUVs are often driven by single drivers. My concern is that by making hybrids SUVs and in some cases deceptively calling them as hybrids(GM, Chevy), the SUV culture will continue to thrive. Look at the first popular hybrid: The Prius. This car was so revolutionary, so well designed, with so many changes. It reflected an ideal balance between convienience, economy and emissions. Taking the same technology and putting it in an Escape, doing nothing else, no reduction in size or weight, no compromise in the interest of better economy cannot be called good. Something like a redesigned RAV 4 would be a better hybrid SUV. People need to remember how big families manged before mini vans and SUVs. More effort should be devoted, ofcourse, to public transportation. On weekends and holidays such transport should be made free or really cheap. Eg, a family of five wants to travel from San Francosco to Los Angeles by SUV. Fuel cost? around $ 150-250? If there were a high speed train that only took, say, 3 hours( even India and China have such trains), and on the weekend we had a family pass that allows the entire family to travel for say, $99 and allows them to use any other connecting bus or metro, more families may opt for thr train over driving. Eg, for the Tube(metro) in London you can buy a weekend pass for aroun 5 ponds and a weekday pass for as little as 4.50. These passes allow you to use any bus service in London, any metro train plus the British Rail( long distance) trians within London and certain other trains and ferries. In Birmingham(UK), there is a family pass valid from Friday night to Monday morning for around 3 pounds(!!) to reduce congestion in town. Most people in Europe have monthly passes for trains anyway as they take them to go go to work and find it free to use them for going out on the weekend or evenings. Everyone has a car there too, but, uses it only to go grocer shopping or going out with the family, not all the time.

18. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hybrids

In general, I agree with Evan.

A true active hybid system in a car, suv, pickup truck, heck anything, is a real world improvement. The new Ford Escape has a combined average MPG of about 32; thats a huge improvement from 20 or roughly 60%. Just think if ALL vehicles sold tomorrow had an improved MPG of 60%.

Most people dont need suvs, pickups or even all those mini-vans, but if we're going to have them, let them be hybrids. And yes, if I lived in MT, I'd buy a Tundra Hybrid, no question about it. Having lived in MN there is no way I would go back without 4 wheel drive; hybrid ofcourse.

Hybrids for everybody!

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Large Buick station wagons that seated 8, got lousy mileage and polluted a lot more than a Prius :).
    Can't disagree but the infrastructure isn't there in most places and would be horrendously expensive to retrofit. Look how long it is taking and how much it is costing to do the Big Dig in Boston. And that is just to shove the road underground. The problem is the public transportation needs to be there, and convenient for a majority of the population. Until it is, no one wants to fund it or suffer the years of construction. Chicken and egg. I, for instance, don't use the bus to get to work. I can drive it in 15 min AM and 20 PM, it would take close to an hour on the bus because of the route. And the bus service is limited. I get to work at 6 AM so I can leave at 2 and take my daughter to skating, ballet, whatever. The bus would not get me to work until 7 and NEVER get me to the school and back out to our destination (in fact doesn't even go near one of them) on time.

Back to the topic. I agree with your concern that those SUV drivers who now maybe feel a pang of guilt for driving mostly with only the driver will feel better about replacing their SUV with another that is hybrid. But if they have the energy consumption screen and learn to get the most out of it mpg wise, at least there will be a lot less pollution and a fair amount less oil used. I can replace my Odyssey with a Prius only because I am NOT in Evan's position any more. I no longer have to drag the portable crib and stroller everywhere. It is still a compromise and you can bet if they made a brand new '95 Odyssey with HSD that got 45 mpg avg, I'd jump right on it instead of a Prius.

20. bmisf

bmisf New Member

I believe if you recheck that, you'll see that those are all figures for the gasoline engine Escape models.

The Hybrid is supposed to get 35-37 city, no highway figure released yet.

Another reason for the SUVs, or more to the point, 4WD: they're better for extensive winter mountain driving. I go skiing and snowshoeing a lot, and sure enjoyed having a 4WD to get up into Yosemite and other places that otherwise require chains.

I'd love to see a hybrid 4WD, whether it's an SUV or not.