1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid SUV's on NBC Evening News at 5:30

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Aug 5, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The did a teaser at 5:15 about a story on the new hybrid SUVs being a big story on the NBC evening news tonight.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it was on our local news channel as well, yup a tease but no bad words about hybrids. I thought it was a pretty balance presentation. Showed a Prius and an Insight, and showed some assembley line video of the Escape. I wonder why the HCH is never mentioned or the Classic. If it weren't for them the rest probably would have never come to be.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I missed it. I need a major review of this or my knowledge base is to be inadequate. So fill me in with the details.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the session started off with a quick statement about hybrids in general and showed pix's of the Prius and the Honda Insight. The rest was essentially a Ford promo tape but was quite balanced the host did a bit of a blurb on hybrids and a bit of a blurb on SUV's including the Lexus and the Hylander and then they did a show and tell at the factory with assembly line video of the engine and inverter and the 2 battery modules one stacked on top of the other being installed in the rear of the body. Then they did some driving videos and an acceleration portion where they were side by side an the interviewer stated that when you stepped on it, it actually had the power of a V6. Then a mention of the fuel mileage and that was about it. OH ya they interviewed some customer he said that if he could be a bit greener he'd probably go hybrid as he figured that the more you could do for the planet the better.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was promotional/intro/press release type stuff for the most part. The NBC Evening News story tired to be a little 'controversial' and made some pretty lame comment to the effect of:

"But will these hybrid SUVs perform and have the power SUV drivers demand"....When they could have said "The real beauty of the hybrid SUV is that it delivers more power and better performance than current similar SUVs while saving gas and being better for the environment." But they want to leave something for folks to complain about I guess.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Ya know, it happens ALL the time in the media...here in South Dakota, after a local 'interview' with a hybrid car owner some months ago, the reporters asked the burning questions where do you plug it in and does it go faster than a golf cart? Even after the 'report' claryifed that no, you don't plug it in, and yes it goes 80 MPH just fine, the news team STILL questioned the usefulness of a hybrid car, etc. Amazed that they didn't outright say don't buy one, it's better to stay the course and stay with old technology, not evolve, continue with the polluting! Right after the story, a commercial came on for the Dodge Hemi in that ugly station wagon...nice...more power but not a SINGLE whisper of fuel-economy. Love my Prius more everyday...