1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Failure after cooling system repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bioguy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Bioguy

Bioguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two weeks ago a large, industrial truck dropped a piece of bent steel pipe on the interstate in front of my 2010, 50k miles, Prius and (sadly) I was forced to hit or swerve into rush hour traffic and cause an accident. It tore up a good part of the cooling system and did some body damage. Of course I didn't know this at the time, but it began to overheat, so I pulled off the freeway and had it towed to a body shop. After about ten days and $5,000 worth of parts and labor I got my Prius back. Fortunately, this was all covered by comprehensive insurance plan.

Six days after getting it back I'm driving on the freeway and the check engine light comes on. Then within seconds the display begins to read Hybrid System Failure and I am forced to coast to the nearest exit.

My question for this group is what are the chances that this Hybrid System Failure is NOT somehow related to the work performed on my car a week earlier? Today is Easter and everything is closed, but the State Farm insurance hotline is not entirely convinced (at least not yet), and won't subsidize the price of the rental I need to get to work tomorrow.

Per State Farm, the car will be towed back to the same body shop in the morning in an attempt to "get it right". My biggest fear is that they will somehow say it isn't the result of their work and that this is just a coincidental malfunction. Any thoughts on how the two are related (or not)?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking some wiring damage or mis diagnosis that still needs to be found and repaired. it's tricky, fixing a mangled pri.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Press hard on State Farm and your repair facility Monday morning. 10 days does not sound like a coincidence to me. The hot line folks have no real authority. If you have to rent, do it through the body shop and insurance partner so when/if the problem is determined related to the claim it will be handled faster. Good luck.

4. Bioguy

Bioguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to guess that there was damage to the inverter coolant radiator and or loop, and the body shop didn't fix it properly. Or perhaps they fixed the damage, but didn't fill the inverter coolant loop properly, and the inverter overheated.

6. Bioguy

Bioguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks xliderider. Shouldn't I have expected to see an overheating error light if that was the case? The display was loaded with warning lights, but I specifically remember the temperature gauge was not one of them.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Scan will show real fast.

8. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sounds like an inverter coolant slow leak or air was not completely purged when filled. Keep a close watch on the inverter coolant tank when you get it back.

9. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My understanding is "Hybrid System Failure" is the warning light for inverter cooling system overheat. The ICE has a separate cooling system, and I suppose a separate overheat light.

10. Bioguy

Bioguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the replies everyone.

The repair facility will be taking a look at it today; however, when I mentioned the inverter as the possible problem he immediately said they checked it when the car was originally assessed and it was fine, and that he sees "coincidental things all the time". Ugh, looks like this is going to get complicated between me, the repair facility and State Farm. I'm beginning to think I'll be on the losing end. :(

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no reason for a '10 with 50k to have an inverter coolant leak without damage. not sure anyone here has ever mentioned it.

12. Bioguy

Bioguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I'm being proactive about this. I've arranged to have an independent State Farm mechanic analyze it as well, in the event that the repair facility claims this is only coincidental.

bisco likes this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Knowing what codes were thrown from the accident would help tremendously.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Considering this is not bodywork anymore, squarely in mechanical territory, aren't you within your rights to have certified Toyota mechanics looking at it?