1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hybrid system malfunction" and "Pre-collision malfunction" all came on at once - please help!

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jackiejoey, Mar 27, 2021.

1. jackiejoey

jackiejoey New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Today, I was driving my 2018 Prius C, and simultaneously, the check engine light came on for the first time, as well as a light that says "Hybrid system malfunction. Stop in a safe place." and "Pre-collision system malfunction visit your dealer." I think it could possibly be that I have driven for a long time on a water damaged chip that was once inside the fob and it's finally giving up -- could this be it? But also, could it possibly be anything else that I can somehow try to take care of on my own? I am a grad student struggling very much with expenses as I try to get through school, just pulled myself out of homelessness in fact, and a smart key replacement is painfully expensive. But I need to get this fixed asap to do door dash and such. Please help!

2. topshot

topshot Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not likely anything to do with the fob, but a car that new should easily be under factory warranty anyway so I'd visit your local dealer. Some bizarre things can happen if the 12V battery gets low, but that isn't likely on a 2018 unless you've done something recently that drained it. Other bizarre behavior has happened when rodents chewed wiring, but think that was mostly on older model years (wiring insulation had soy in it???).