1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Problem- Brake Fix to Blame?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by natedemars, May 20, 2010.

1. natedemars

natedemars New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10 days ago I brought my '05 Prius to the dealership to get the Brake Recall fix along w/ an oil change and inspection. Since then I took a road trip and put about 1,000 miles on. Two days ago, when pulling up to my house, I got a beep and warning message, since I was home I parked and decided to worry about it later.

The next morning the car turned on but would not move (crawled a bit forward and reverse but was basically dead). I checked the meaning of the warning light and its the Hybrid Systems Warning Light. From the information screen it appears the battery is drained and therefore electric motor won't function.

Of course I'm worried its the expensive battery dying on me but would this happen all at once or slowly over time? Unfortunately I'm at 117,000 mi so the system is out of warranty. My next thought was that something they had with the brake recall may have caused the problem (though it would seem odd it'd take 10 days to happen).

Anyone have ideas of what may be wrong, want to learn what I can before towing to the dealer to fix. Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt that the problem is related to the accelerator pedal (not brake) recall since you've driven 1K miles since then. The problem might be the traction battery; but it also might be the inverter, transaxle or hybrid vehicle ECU.

You'll need to have the DTC retrieved to get a better idea about the problem. If you post the DTC we can comment.

I've experienced two traction battery failures, and they do happen overnight. However the vehicle can still be started and driven (although with poor driveability) so your problem may be elsewhere.

Good luck.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    had nearly EXACT same symptoms as u on my SPM. jump the 12 volt battery. u have enough power to boot up the car but not enough to engage the HV switch

4. mymimi

mymimi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

this is possible, your 12v batt. die so the engine wont start . does the engine warm up when you start car?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Exactly* when did the beep occur? While you were driving the car, or when you tried to shut it OFF, or when you tried to lock the car? If you're lucky you simply failed to turn the car OFF and no permanent harm was done: either the 12V battery was drained (and it may be OK for a while after a jump), or you drained the traction battery and it will be OK again after a dealer recharges it.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no "brake recall fix" on Prius II. Only Prius III. There is a floor mat/accelerator pedal recall on Prius II, which some owners think is a bunch of nonsense. You have the option of declining the "fix"--shortening the accelerator pedal, which could cause safety problems for short drivers.

Judging from some of these threads, there is a lot of misinformation floating around about Prius. I blame a lot of it on the media--and Toyota.