1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid system warning light on a 2004

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pheoni, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Pheoni

Pheoni New Member

I'm posting on behalf of a friend. She's got a 2004 Prius (basic package) with 104,000 mi. Today while she was driving, the accelerator stopped working and the car forced her to pull over. She said that the battery charge meter went down quickly (1 bar a second). When she pulled over, she turned off the car and turned it back on. She had 1 bar of battery and was able to drive again.

Showed me the service lights that came on. The manual said they were the "Take to dealership NOW" and the LCD showed the "Hybrid system warning light" in the upper left corner. I came home and did some searching, found the diagnostic codes easter egg. I talked her through it over the phone and the following codes came up.

01-d5 190-57-b
    01-dc 1c6-8c-f
    01-dc 190-12-f

I didn't find anything on these codes, so I decided to make a post. I had her go out to check the millage of the car and when she turned it on it didn't have the warning lights anymore. We rechecked the diag. codes and they were still there, but the take to dealership and hybrid system warning lights are no longer there.

Anyone think they can shed some light on what happened?

Oh, and something I couldn't find a strait answer for... When you get service lights for the non electrical systems, can you find the error codes through the car's OS, or do you need to hook up a service computer?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The codes you post appear to come from the MFD 'secret diagnostics screen'. I am sure that they are unrelated to this Prius' performance problem. A Toyota shop (or qualified independent) should access the DTCs via the OBDII port, and we can go from there.

3. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pheoni @ Nov 5 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]535001[/snapback]</div>
    You need to hook the car up to a scanner.

Was the MIL ("check engine" lamp) illuminated, as well?