1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Tax Credit Recapture Rules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by snowman83, Jan 6, 2006.

1. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

I've looked and looked for any bit of clarification on this matter, but have so far come up empty!

Here's the situation:
    I'm graduating from college this coming May (yay, no more tuition bills!) and will be starting my new job at the beginning of September (still living at home for the first couple of years). In the meantime, I would really like to buy a car (I'm insisting on a Toyota Prius, of course!) and in fact I MUST have it by the time I start working, but as I will not be starting to work until September, that leaves me only 8 pay periods of income within the calendar year, and therefore, only about $1000 of federal tax liability.

As we've discovered in detail via the other threads, the remaining roughly $2000 of tax credit would then be disallowed and not carried forward. That leaves me with basically 2 possibilities. Either way, I'll be making all of the payments on it.

1) Buy the car under my own title/insurance/etc. This allows me to build my credit and keep the title in my own name, but I'd then lose 2/3 of the tax credit.
    2) Have my dad buy the car and keep the title/insurance/etc. under his name. He could certainly take advantage of the full amount (especially since AMT is not a factor), but then I would be making the payments on it without deriving the benefit of building credit, and if I end up moving away, that could become an issue, as well.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the IRS has STILL not published any clarification on the recapture rule, which would tell me how long my dad would have to keep the car under his name before I could take title and officially assume the payments (and therefore, start building credit). It sure seems, though, that I'm going to lose either way.

Any thoughts on what would be the better option here? Better yet, anyone know when the IRS plans on clarifying this? Hopefully it will be before I have to buy the car, as I don't want to make the purchase and then find out afterwards what the consequences are. Thanks!

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Buy a fuel efficient used car at 1/4 the price of a Prius and save up for a house.

3. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It would not be in your father's best interest to carry your car. If you had an accident, or committed some act of neglicence... or if you loaned your car to someone who did... as the vehicle's owner, your father's assets might be at risk.

I think it would be best to keep things clean, and under your own name.

/Jim

4. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

All good points so far... If these are not concerns however... a joint loan might work he should be primary and take the tax credit you could be joint on the loan and make payments under his supervision and you both will be financially impacted when it comes to credit score (by most financial institutions). Pay late and mess up his credit and he might kill you (a liability not yet discussed here) :) good luck.

5. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a similar situation that I would like advise on.

Can I take both a 2005 tax deduction, and a 2006 credit on two Prius purchases?

I bought a 2006 Prius in 2005, and then gifted it to my daughter in early 2006. I liked her car so much, that I ordered one for myself which should be available for pickup next week. I know that I can claim the 2006 Tax credit on my own vehicle.

Originally, I was assuming that I could not take the tax deduction on the car purchased in 2005 because I would only be owning her car for less than a month. Also... because my daughter has no tax liability, there was no incentive to wait for 2006 to take posession of the car.

Of course... my logic would be flawwed if I could buy the car... hold it for a couple of weeks... gift it to my daughter... and then still take the tax deduction and/or credit.

So... can I take take a 2005 tax deduction for my first 2006 Prius now... and also take a 2006 tax credit for my 2nd Prius next year?

/Jim (2006 Driftwood #8 and 2006 Silver #8)

6. wstander

wstander New Member

get thee to

www.irs.gov

unless you are a corporation or use the car for business only, there is no 'recapture' to be concerned about. I sold my qualifying 2004 Honda Hybrid and bought a qualifying 2005 Prius. I am allowed to take the $2000 deduction in 2005 taxes (TY2004)AND the full $2000 deduction in 2006 taxes (TY2005). I could have taken an unlimited number of these deductions so far as they each occurred in a tax year for which I both purchasd and applied for new car deductions ("clean fuel"}

7. wstander

wstander New Member

Links for 2005 tax year:

Publication 535, Business Expenses (PDF 422K)
    Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF 176K)
    Form 1040X , Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF 110K)
    Subscribe to Tax Tips

8. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

Hmmm, so you are saying that my dad could buy the car, and then transfer it to me, title and all, without having to give up (i.e., recapture) the tax credit?

That seems contrary to what is explained in this page: http://taxes.about.com/od/deductionscredit...+car+tax+credit

Specifically, that page mentions that the person buying the car must intend to use it personally and not intend on re-selling or giving it to someone else.

I did check all through www.irs.gov for anything relating to what the above linked page says, but like I said, I found zippo.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I believe the IRS would give you the hairy eyeball!

10. Clar

Clar Member

so....once a car is purchased by a person, how would IRS know that person's intend? I doubt IRS will do follow ups with that person and see if he possess the car or not and what he's doing with that car

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I believe they apply the "reasonable person" rule:
    i.e. Would a reasonable person person believe that you purchased with the intent to keep the car if you gave it to your daughter a couple of weeks later?

(You know the answer.)

12. v.jones

v.jones New Member

Also keep in mind that in most states, there are fees and sales tax incurred every time you transfer ownership on a vehicle (and in many states, the sales tax is based on minimum of the actual selling price and the "book value" of the car). If you have not already done so, you may want to double check all the costs involved either way before getting hung up on the federal income tax questions. You may find that even if all the IRS questions are resolved in your favor, the bottom line does not justify the hassle.

Good luck and have fun!

Vince

13. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I live in Oregon. I will have to pay a $55 re-title and registration fee, but that is it. No sales tax in Oregon.

I have a close friend who works for the IRS running one of the audit offices. I will ask him for advice. My perception when I bought the cars was that I would only be able to get the 2006 tax credit for myself... and nothing from the 2005 tax deduction for the car I bought for my daughter. However, I am not 100% positive anymore. It is not clear to me that the "reasonable person" rule would go against me either. I bought two Prii for 100% use within my household... all people have the same last name, live at the same address, and are my legal dependents. It is not like I have the intent of buying/reselling vehicles to take advantage of a tax credit.

/Jim

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the "purchase to use" rule is designed to resellers from claiming the credit. they could buy a car, drive it 100 miles sell it as used for a new (probably more) car price PLUS the tax credit.

i think as long as you dont gift a Prius to any more relatives, you can easily get away with two. there are many two Prius families here, and as i have predicted before, the Prius, if allowed to do so and given enough time, would be the most popular car in the world. the fact that the car is in use by an immediate family member makes it that much easier to do.

15. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you gift a $28,000 vehicle without penalty? Doesn't the person receiving said gift have to report any gifted assets valued over $5000 on their tax report as income?

Isn't that the whole problem about the death penalty for farmers who want to pass their farm/land to children without the tax burden ?

16. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

Personal Receipts:
    Prizes and awards must be recognized as taxable income. This applies to awards based on achievement, merit, academics, athletics, and receipts attributable entirely to good luck, such as lottery winnings, raffles or other such prizes. The prize or award need not consist of cash; winning a trip to Paris, for example, will still add to taxable income.

HOWEVER:
    The major exception to the rule that personal receipts are taxable applies to gifts and inheritances. Individuals who receive gifts of cash or property from a donor or who inherit cash or property from a decedent don't report the receipt as income.

The donor can exclude $11,000 per year of property to each individual donee (known as the annual gift tax exclusion). Married couples can elect to combine their annual gift tax exclusion, thereby doubling their exclusion to $22,000.

Furthermore, a donor does not pay any gift tax until the cumulative amount of taxable gifts exceeds the donor's LIFETIME gift tax exclusion, which is currently $1 million.

Therefore, the only income tax consequences of gifted property are that the donor's adjusted basis in the property becomes the donee's new basis, thereby shifting unrealized appreciation in the value of the property from the donor to donee. Obviously, there won't be any appreciation in the value of a car.

What you are mentioning about the farmers and their land has to do with the taxable estate. The estate tax is going to be repealed as of 2010. For each year until then, the estate tax exclusion will rise by $500,000. The only caveat there is that the annual estate tax exclusions must be decreased by the amount of LIFETIME GIFT tax exclusion used.

Anyway, sorry for the long and sort of off-the-topic post - just wanted to get that out there :)

17. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, so the IRS only goes after the multimillionaires who want to pass their money to their children so they will never have to work for a living. Good to know that the Republicans are repealing this tax so that the multimillionaires get to pass on money in their bloodline. Even though you're supposed to file the $11k or $22k joint gift in your return, I bet the IRS would never be the wiser if you neglect to do so.

Snowman, you keep editing your response with new info!!

18. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

Leave it to the Republicans to look out for the wealthy! At any rate, sometimes you benefit from it, and sometimes you get eaten alive by it (usually the latter). As for the joint gift in the return, it's always better to file it than not. If you don't file it and they catch you for it, even though you would have still been well within the lifetime gift tax exclusion, you will pay the penalty. Better to declare it and chalk it up to the lifetime gift tax exclusion. Either way, you don't pay.

19. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Probably the worst that'll happen if you claim the deduction is that the IRS will deny it.
    As you weren't initially planning on getting the deduction, you probably have nothing to lose.
    Do consult a tax consultant first. B)