1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Taxis in the Arctic Circle

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was up in Inuvik, NWT (3 degrees within the Arctic Circle) and saw several hybrid taxis in operations that included a Prius v, both generations of Camry Hybrids and a Gen 2 Highlander Hybrid.

These vehicles are put through harsh driving conditions as the roads dip and heave with the permafrost and highways outside of town are either gravel (Dempster Highway) or ice roads as the Highlander Hybrid's many cracks on the windshield can testify.

The nearest Toyota dealership is over 700 miles away so if any of these need hybrid service, it's an expensive tow truck or shipping expense but none seem to have problems so far (the oldest is a 2010/2011 Camry Hybrid).

IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2717.JPG

So if anyone asks if hybrids work in the cold, tell them that they have hybrid taxis in the Arctic! :)

cwerdna likes this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing this. It is pretty amazing. Although I'm sure they still get a boost in FE, I'd be interested to know if the ICE ever turns off during the coldest parts of the year.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That is one cool license plate! (y)

What are the fuel costs up there?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's what makes the territories unique! I like the old version better (The current one came into effect a few years ago)

Old version:

[​IMG]

I asked them and it was between $1.68-$1.71/litre. That's about $6.30/gal.

Ya know, I didn't think to ask. It should if they're driving around since the engine will be warm but it I'm sure once they "idle" as they wait for customers, that engine temp will drop precipitously. It wouldn't be that much different from me in the middle of winter. I'm on the same side of the mountains as they are and can get just as cold.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Silver Prius v taxi taken on the main strip (Mackenzie Road) in Inuvik.

IMG_2719.JPG

6. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where is the taxi? Is that it WAAAYYY down the street headed away from the camera?
    The upside to living there is not having to cut the lawn but that mud could be annoying on a new car :(

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those pictures are depressing. The closest thing to a plant is the telephone pole.

ftl likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah it's the one going away from the camera. I had to fish out my phone and snap the pic.

Yeah I saw only 1 or 2 clean vehicles. The rest are just covered in mud inside and out (inside when I saw them open the passenger door and the taxis we rode in).

There are trees but they're no more than twice your height. Inuvik is within the arctic treeline.