1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid technology adding thousands to cost?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A lot of press folks keep talking about how the hybrid technology is "adding thousands of dollars" to the cost of a new car. I don't know the exact cost difference between a conventional and hybrid Civic, but I seem to remember that it wasn't "thousands of dollars". The Prius, of course, has no conventional counterpart, but I think that in terms of comfort and features, it is closer to a Camry than a Corolla; perhaps somewhere between.
    My sister just bought a brand new Camry and it is noticeably bigger than my Prius, but it doesn't have all the technology my Prius has, and the ride is very similar to the Prius. She paid about the same for her car as I did for mine.
    Considering what comes with the Prius as standard equipment, I don't think the car is at all overpriced and I think it's equably priced when compared to similar cars. Given that people are paying 3-8k over MSRP would suggest that this sentiment is held by a good number of people.

2. Marg

Marg New Member

On the Honda Canada website, the MSRP for a basic model Honda sedan is about $17,000 including freight but not including taxes. The MSRP for the Civic Hybrid is $29,500. Both figures are in Canadian dollars.

The figures are not exactly comparable, as there seem to be a few features that are standard in the hybrid but are considered "options" for which you must pay extra in the non-hybrid.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still difficult to compare Civic to Hybrid Civic. Have to go to LX version to get some features, though side air bags, standard on Hybrid are still addons in LX and EX. Have to go to EX for the standard Hybrid ABS but then the EX has a moon roof. And of course you can't get folding rear seat in the Hybrid no matter what Hybrid mpg 38 - 44% better. CVT not available except on the Hybrid so the only straight comparison is the 5 speed manual. Hybrid has auto climate control, not mentioned for non-hybrid.

Thus, a manual LX with front side air bags (no ABS and add $500 for a spoiler - though more "aggressive" than the one on the Hybrid) is about $17K, the hybrid $20K. The EX would be about $18K but there is a moonroof.

I have to conclude that there is a higher price for the Hybrid, maybe $2,500?? roughly the price above an LX with ABS (if you could add it) or EX without moonroof (if you could remove it).