1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Toyota MR2 Possible In 2005

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jun 21, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid Toyota MR2 Possible In 2005

DETROIT - Toyota is likely to add a performance-oriented hybrid vehicle in its U.S. stable of vehicles in the not-too distant future, a major Department of Energy research official tells TheCarConnection.Com.

“We’ve heard that Toyota’s going to come out with a next-generation MR2 that will have hybrid technology in it,†the official says, adding that the DOE has been urging U.S. automakers to employ a performance-oriented strategy for some time and that Toyota, once again, plans to beat its Yankee competitors to the punch.

A hybrid MR2 and Tundra would likely follow the Camry into Toyota’s growing hybrid lineup, which will soon include the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX sport-utes in addition to the Prius. Toyota, selling 17,564 Prius in 2004 through May, according to Automotive News, has already outsold last year’s five-month tally by more than double and is on pace to outperform its initial hybrid sales estimate for the year.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :love: :p :multi:

That means more power and more mpg!

3. montolchik

montolchik New Member

Wired Magazine had a photo of Toyota's latest concept/prototype hybrid speedster this month. It looked more Supra-esque than MR2 with its straight angled lines and lack of a convertible top. I think it did ~ 36mpg and a respectable 0-60 time.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Very nice. Not interested for myself, but... means more Priuses for us! :mrgreen:

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Unless they divert parts from the Prius production line.

6. Joel

Joel New Member

I use to drive an MR2 Spyder - one of the few with an after-market turbo charger installed. I'm still an enthusiast two cars later - I'd consider buying another if they had an amped up Synergy Drive.