1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids a Mennace on Roads Compared to Gas Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Octane, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Claim Frequency, Severity Higher For Hybrid Vehicles - Personal Insurance - Property and Casualty Insurance News

Mr. Horn, citing rating integrity solutions provider Quality Planning, said Toyota Prius owners received .38 tickets per 100,000 miles driven compared to .23 tickets per 100,000 miles for non-hybrid drivers. He noted that is a 65 percent difference.

Additionally, he said the profile of hybrid drivers has changed in recent years. As recently as 2008, hybrid purchasers were mostly concerned with their carbon footrint and impact on the environment. “While their politics may have been liberal, their driving habits were conservative, making them a very good risk to insure,†Mr. Horn said in his story.

LOL.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Insight, the author does not have.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what I just posted as a comment:
    I made one mistake.

The Honda Civic and Civic Hybrid insurance costs are:

• 104 - Honda Civic Hybrid
    • 109 - Honda Civic
    Feel free to post a comment citing the NHTSA Insurance Cost booklet . . . completing my post. <GRINS>

Hummm, he did say hybrid owners are 'loyal.' . . . Think we need to share this with the Honda and Ford hybrid owners? <GRINS>

Perhaps someone might point out that Traveller's is offering a discount to hybrid owners. . . . Any other carriers? <LOL>

Let's let this 'trade publication' meet the hybrids.

Bob Wilson

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh Bob, you're no fun at all!!!

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I'm trying not to suck out all of the oxygen. <grins>

Still there are several 'low hanging fruit' that could be enjoyed . . . depending upon how much someone might want to shade the facts and data:

• Purchase vs repair price differences - A Prius costs $4,000 more, than the equivalent $24,000 diesel or gas car. So the $182 extra dollars repair cost only makes sense and is substantially less than the purchase price premium. Of course we could do some really nasty 'spoofing' by citing CNW Marketing's claim of a Chevy Aveo as the Prius equal for the Prius. <LMAO>
    • Where did the 'carbon footprint folks go?' - apparently since 2008, the old 'greenie' Prius owners sold their cars to 'cheapie' Prius owners . . . or perhaps they have always been frugal buyers who would rather switch than accept an inflated insurance premium from foolish over-chargers. We buy everything with the same sharp eye to value that keeps us from burning out money out the tail pipe.
    • "Cheapie" hybrid drivers don't exceed speed limits - driven by an obsession with lower fuel bills, they don't speed and often take routes less traveled. In fact, many use HOV lanes with special stickers so they avoid rush-hour fender benders.
    This is just my short list, suggestions for those who might like to post over at the insurance trade site. Mr. Horn was selective in his report so think about Prius ownership and its impact on your driving . . . and share it with the insurance agents. Most of all, let them know we are not captives to Mr. Horn's agenda. <wink>

Bob Wilson

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Figures lie and liars figure.

Or, put another way, you can prove anything with numbers. It depends on how you bend them!

2 people like this.
  7. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm assuming these weren't speeding tickets! Obstructing the flow of traffic maybe?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good question!

So I looked up the original report:
    https://www.mitchell.com/mitch/assets/pdf/ITR_vol-10-no-3-summer-2010.pdf

The good news, the first article is faithful to the Mitchell report. The bad news, the Mitchell report doesn't provide significantly more details.

The Mitchell report cites the "Quality Plannning" report:
    Hybrids: Is a Little of the Green Rubbing Off? - Quality Planning

So we have this curious conflict. Two industry reports saying hybrids are more expensive to insure while the NHTSA shows them as being less expensive. Just sharing the facts and data.

Bob Wilson

9. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that Prius drivers are a self-identified set who have shown they are willing to pay a premium for a better product. Thus, the insurance industry believes their product is better so they should charge this self-identified group higher rates.:ballchain:

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, to some extent we are locked0in to the dealership for service because the number of independent hybrid mechanics is so small (virtually 0 outside the SF bay area).

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias"]confirmation bias[/ame].

The author of this article is not likely to be having an honest discussion, so how do you deal with him and people that might believe his piece? Therapy?

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So how do I fit the report? My car has only been to the dealer in the hope of getting warranty service (a squealing coolant transfer pump) - denied. Otherwise never.

Pearl got a speeding ticket (photo radar so it went to Pearl not me ;) ).

The anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV) never got a speeding ticket.

Pearl costs the same for insurance as the anti-Prius did.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Farmer's is giving me a slight hybrid discount.

The authors need to adjust their figures for where the vehicle is driven. I get charged more for my insurance because of where I live. If you don't take location into account, along with the small percentage of vehicles you risk large statistical errors.

14. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I see two types of Prius owners on the highway on my way to work and back.

1) Those doing 90 in the left lane, and switching to the carpool lane occasionally, and bought the Prius just for that purpose.

2) Those in the right two lanes driving along with the flow of traffic.

I'm sure this helps explain these statistics of Prius drivers receiving speeding tickets. However, I don't think the ratio has changed with time. If Prius drivers are getting more tickets today, it's probably because the state expired their carpool stickers, so now they are weaving in and out of traffic and attracting more attention.