1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids are done. Nobody cares anymore

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Apr 13, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At the end of 2003, before the introduction of the new 2004 Prius, sales of the 2003 Prius, Insight, and Civic Hybrid fell way off. Anti-Hybrid forces, and eventually mainstream media, touted the end of the hybrid, that demand was gone because owners "finally saw the light" and weren't happy with their vehicles, and that word had gotten out. Some even said that all the treehuggers finally had their Prius, and that mainstream buyers just weren't interested. I knew the truth. The truth was that the 2004 Prius was just around the corner, and folks were waiting to see if the 2004 was all it's cracked up to be.

It was. And still is.

But here it is, three years later, and once again, we are hearing about the demise of the hybrid, how it must be all the unsatisfied owners, or word is finally getting out that your mileage isn't astronomical, or something about the rush is over, etc, etc, etc.

But I know the truth. And I'll share it with you right now:

It's the Camry Hybrid. Many would-be Prius buyers want to test drive the Camry Hybrid, and test drive the Prius and compare and make their purchase decision then. Same with some potential Highlander Hybrid buyers.

In fact, I'm going to make a prediction that may hold true for the next few years: Every time there is a new generation Hybrid coming, the older generation vehicle sales will taper off before it's introduction.
    (I know, I'm really going out on a limb here).

A recent headline read "Nissan Motor Co. Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn said Wednesday he feels vindicated that hybrids could be seeing a sales slowdown, since he has repeatedly warned that it is too early to fully back the technology."

I believe he will come to regret those words come August/ September.

Nate

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

couple this with indicators this summer is going to suck for gas prices.... already up about 60 cents since around xmas...

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 13 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]239146[/snapback]</div>
    the Prius is really the only hybrid living up to sales expectations and it's sales are usually beyond expectations. I am not familiar with any other hybrids doing well in the marketplace. The big test will be the Camry hybrid, if it doesn't do well Ghosn could be right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 13 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]239147[/snapback]</div>
    I knew I should have bought more exxon/mobil stock. Are they including ky jelly with every fillup this summer?

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The problem with Hybrids is excluding the Prius and Insight, the cost/benefit story is not very good. Take it from me most car buyers are very cost conscious and are not going to spring for a fuel saving premium without dramatic, tangible results. I think if the hybrid tech was a 25-40% mpg improvement for 90% of the drivers at say $1000-$1500, all vehicles would be hybrids within two years.

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I think the statement that it is too early too fully back the technology is complete hogwash. Price drops and progress on hybrid technology if they weren't built. What's holding hybrids back is FUD in the press, and ironically overhyping. We need to fully develop this technology NOW so that we can have it earlier and have better tools to combat accelerated climate change.

By that I mean the media overhyped hybrid technology - led people to believe that these were perpetual motion machines - and then when expectations did not meet their overblown reality the opposite occurs. Check out the latest articles on the 2009 Prius... they are really hyping the fuel economy figures.

But even if Camry hybrid sales don't meet expectations, we still have the MY 2009 Prius, and apparently Honda has plans to introduce a Fit hybrid purchasable for much cheaper than the hybrid systems in the Accord or Civic.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]239153[/snapback]</div>
    is this evidence you've gathered from your massive profits on the escalade? those people spring for a size premium with dramatic long term cost increase as a result...

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]239153[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, Malorn, I can agree with you on people being cost conscious. However, when I see someone pumping $50 of gas every week into a vehicle that cost more than my Prius, I can't seem to do the math as to their cost consciousness.

I use this argument all the time. With the cash I paid for Priapus (yes, I wrote a check) I could have bought any of a dozen of other cars. With the same $26,000 check I could have made one Hell of a downpayment on any one of dozens of other high-end cars. However, because I actually am cost conscious, I chose to spend my money on a car that gives me the creature features and saves me money in a very tangible way.

So to reiterate, when I see vehicles that cost twice the Prius using three times the gas, I just don't get it.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 13 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]239157[/snapback]</div>
    the first consideration of escalade buyers is not fuel efficiency or cost. the same could be said of lexus buyers or mercedes buyers. To the vast majority of all vehicle purchasers cost over time is the number one factor in their decision. People will NOT pay an extra $3-4000 for a hybrid system which will improve their mpg by 5-15%.

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Except that the difference is bigger than 5-15%.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Nate, though I'd add that the media trash is probably also due to a lot of stuff planted by GM. Yes, corporations (like government) plant news stories.

To malorn's comments I'd reply that the only reason other hybrids are not living up to sales expectations, is that they are just so way inferior to the Prius. If a rowboat costs 10% less than a schooner, most folks will buy the schooner. If there had been no Prius, I'd have bought an HCH. But between the two, there was no comparison.

However, a good used car will give you cheaper transportation per mile, and that will slow the adoption of any new car. Hybrid is coming. Sooner or later all cars will be hybrid, unless battery technology advances enough to give an EV acceptable range.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 13 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]239163[/snapback]</div>
    People have many different tastes and priorities. If I was to buy a vehicle solely to save money on gas I would buy the Prius or the insight. I do not know of any other highbrids where the extra cost of the hybrid will be made up by savings in fuel consumption. The people buying suburbans, tahoes, expeditions, and sequioas have a need or want for space or size adn that need/want trumps the need for high mpg.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

There's also a component of timing of money spent... In essence, you spend x thousand/s more for a hybrid, that money is gone in one shot, disappears, BUT every time you go to the pump, it's like repeated, re-inforced, instant gratification, every time.

14. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Now how about the Accord hybrid which wasn't DESIGNED to for just saving money, but for getting the best performance in its line while saving a bit of cash at the pump... but not for replacing the cost of the performance-minded hybrid?

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Apr 13 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]239168[/snapback]</div>
    Other than the prius and insight, the fact is that most drivers see a negligible mpg boost with a hybrid system. Even some Prius owners have been very dissatisfied with their mpg(the result of bad driving). The Highlander hybrid, Lexus hybrid, and the accord hybrids have all had less than glowing reviews(mpg).

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    malorn, I don't think you realize this. I could write a check for an Escalade right now. Not just me, but many, many Prius buyers have plenty of money to buy GM's $60,000 jobs, but choose not to.

You speak of Escalade buyers as if they are special people, people with means, unlike us idiot Prius buyers who aren't going to recoup our hybrid investment, yet you have a sort of reverence for "a different class of buyer".

I got news for you: This is a myth. You are living a myth if you believe that everyone wishes they had an Escalade if only they could afford it. You are living a myth if you believe you must cost justify a hybrid powertrain. What I don't understand is why you still believe it.

How far must sales of large SUV's fall before you are convinced?

Nate

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Must be another slow day in the Chevy store.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 13 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]239169[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel you are right on the money. If your main motivation is to increase mpg adn/or make an environmental statement why would you buy anything other than a Prius or insight. If you are in the market for an SUV and are looking a the Toyota Highlander mpg is probably pretty far down the list of motivators, especially when the real world mpg improvement is not likely to be very much with a hybrid. So the SUV customer decides to go with the traditional powerplant because the cost/benefit story is not very strong.

19. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Care to respond to how hybrids other than the Prius/Insight are designed for performance as well? Here's a hint - those hybrids are also the top performing models of their respective lineups.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]239178[/snapback]</div>

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 13 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]239179[/snapback]</div>
    Nate I agree many Prius buyers could buy anything they want, they are interested in the mpg story and or the environmental story of the Prius. Most of the Prius owners I know fall into the same category as you, they are making a statement and/or trying to make a difference.

I know that many folks would never own an escalade and that is fine too.

My point is with the masses of car buyers. They have differing needs and wants and most of them will not spend an additional $3000-4000 on a hybrid system to improve their mileage 5-15%(excluding the Prius and the Insight). I think that fact is revealed in the dissappointing hybrid sales figures(excl Prius)