1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids Aren't So Rare Any Longer

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Southern Dad, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I first started driving a hybrid, I was the only one at my work with one. Many comments were made and I'm sure the word "nerd" was uttered. I guess they've become cool. I came out today to find a Prius on one side of me and a brand new Insight on the other! Big parking lot. Why were they all gathered around my Prius?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a fun thing to do (park next to others who own a prius or hybrid)

when i first joined, my experiance was similar to yours... now... well... we all park next to each other.. but that's only because half the cars in this city are a hybrid (not really.. but there are a lot)

3. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't you know that Hybrids like to snuggle? :D

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a ton of hybrids around here, but i don't know anyone else who has one. (except my wife and daughter)

5. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually run into Prii when I am in the Fiesta but I will still park next to them. There are less here by a wide margin but I see more every week.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got mine, I was the only one in the subdivision. Now it's not unusual to see others in the area, although I don't know anybody on the block yet to have one. There are several at the parking lot.

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, I came back to find my prius was surrounded by another Red Gen III prius on the right, and Gen II white prius behind me, and a silver volt to the left. My gf said the hybrids were multiplying. I thought it was kind of creepy.

8. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the early days, us PriusChatters in the Chicago area got together regularly. One of those times, Danny (you know, the PriusChat founder) came up and finally bought himself a Prius up here. He took his Prius for a drive the first day and a lady stopped him at a light, politely excused herself for interrupting, and asked if he was Danny. Turns out she had been following his posts on PriusChat, knew he'd be in the area that weekend and buying a Prius, so when she saw a new one that day with dealer plates still on it, she made the conclusion that it was Danny.

Wouldn't be able to make a leap of faith like that today.

9. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I haven't seen a Volt yet. Texas must be more progressive than when I lived there. Of course, that is Austin.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We were one of the launch cities for the volt, so there are a number of them here. I have also seen a couple of teslas. But there are large numbers of prii and pick up trucks roaming the streets.

11. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here in Georgia we have one dealer who went to New York to purchase a Volt and bring it down here to his dealership. To date, I have not been able to test drive it.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prii are very common around here.

13. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly would not know if I had seen a volt...

14. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They say "Volt" across the back of the trunk lid. In large letters.

15. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are so few Insight-I's that about half the owners wave wildly, flash lights, etc when they see one. The other half are completely oblivious and give absolutely no sign of seeing the wavers. I belong to the waving category, not the oblivious group.

I did meet one at an I-95 rest area but don't think I've ever parked next to one.

16. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope...not sure still, too much like a Cruze or anything else really to stand out.

Kinda like a Fusion hybrid...I can only tell those if I am next to one at a light.

Something like an Insight-1 (have seen 2) or CR-Z (also 2 total) kind of stands out more than a 4 door thingamobile.

17. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, my mistake. The Volt does say "Volt" on the rear but it's in small letters. Somehow my brain enlarged them:
    2011 Chevy Volt Photos | Chevrolet
    The Fusion Hybrid and the Sonata Hybrid have a hybrid badge on the rear, towards the upper right. The right side of the rear seems to have become the standard location for hybrid badges.
    Yes the CR-Z has a very distinctive look, but to us it looks bulged from some angles. Too bad it doesn't do better mpg-wise.

18. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Or performance wise.

I understand they all have badges. Nothing stands out like a Prius or Insight though.

Even 1st gen Prii are harder to spot because they look a lot like Echos. Once I realized the difference in the grilles I can spot them though.

19. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are two other G1 Honda Insights right here in this small town that I live in. A red one and a silver one. I've passed them several times but have yet to meet the owners.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, Prius came first. Echo was a golden opportunity to generate profit and expand production capacity. Toyota modified the body and detuned the engine. It worked out well.

But the thing often not realized is how ahead of its time Prius was back then. The Classic model stuck out like a sore thumb, getting the same uniqueness claims Prius does now. All those years ago, nothing else resembled it. Now, that shape is frequently immitated.