1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids going out of style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alexstarfire, Mar 28, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Ok, I know that we all know that isn't true, but I had to post this.

My dumbass friend told me the other day that they said on the news they were phasing out hybrids because they weren't selling. I know sometimes he isn't up to the latest info, but he obviously can't even listen to the news properly as there is no way they said that.

Of course they could have said they aren't selling any hybrids at dealerships in Georgia anymore, but I doubt they even said that.

2. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I saw a dateline on that too.
    It was stupid and flawed. Toyota is just meeting up with demand, and don't have the production difficulties that they used to.
    They also argued that since gas isn't $3 a gallon anymore (which it is in CA) that demand has died......Is this really going to stop an educated buyer? So what if the price of gas decreases? That just means you spend less on gas, it's not like your mileage will decrease with it.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Yeah when I had my Mini I belonged to forum and people would talk about the new v6 mini or the v8 mini someone even said they saw a v12 twin turbo mini and had the picture to prove it. if you get the Mini Cooper s the 1.6 liter engine with supercharger takes up so much room they had to move the battery to the trunk remove the spare tire and sell it with run flat tires. How in the heck are you going to get a biger motor in there let alone a twin turbo v12.

I think he was just trying to get you riled up that’s what I think.
    Or maybe you are just trying to get us riled up. (not implying you are a troll or any of that) I do think it is funny when some of the people here get riled up about things but even the highly agitatable people here are stopping because we get posts like this almost daily now.

Oohh the prius gets 49 mpg instead of 55 its crap.
    The Hummer more environmentally friendly than prius.
    Airplane out does prius in mpg lets all sell our prius.
    Prius crashes into gas station because the computer system is crazy and unsafe.
    Prius cars contain spy cameras so communist china can spy on Americans.
    All prius cars come standerd with a thermo nuclear devise that is set to go off if we capture Osama Bin Laden so don’t by one.
    NRA says only communist hippies drive a prius. Avoid the communist plot to take over the world and buy a truck.

(I know not all of those were actual posts but I just started having fun making up dumb crap) ( oh and the NRA thing for those of you that support guns. Break into my house and you will come face to face with a Mossberg 500 Persuader with pistol grip loaded with 00 buck shot wielded by a combat vet. But you have to admit some people in the NRA are just nuts and fanatically weird.) (oh and those that don’t like guns I don’t want to hear it but you are welcome to break into my house and discuss it with Pacco.)

It gets ridiculous after a wile just so you know.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Just consider it ENTERTAINMENT :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to classify such comments in the same way I consider the sometimes innane responses I receive in my Prius when I make a verbal request... entertainment. When I ask Ernestine2 {My 2007 Prius} to "Go Home," she may respond "Showing Barbershop Icons" or some such ridiculous ressponse. Just chuckle and go on.

5. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 28 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]413576[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot to mention blind pedestrians being killed by stealth Prii and Prii self-destructing after 100.000 miles.
    Edit:
    Just saw we need to add people never making it home and spending the night in barbershops because their Prius doesn't understand what they're saying. This car should be outlawed!

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

If by "going out of style" they mean hybrids aren't the hot new thing, then sure, they're going out of style. By definition it's not possible to be "new" forever.

But hybrids certainly aren't going away. If anything, I expect a form of light hybrid to become common on many cars, it simply makes too much sense to recoup energy that otherwise gets turned into heat by the brake rotors.

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Mar 28 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]413582[/snapback]</div>
    Oh great now I cant get a hair cut for fear some idiot prius driver is going to come crashing into the barber shop get out after killing me and say “heyuk I thought this was my garage heyuk must be the cars fault.”

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    damn. well i guess it's over. time to sell the car, time for DH to find a new career.

it was a nice run anyway.

9. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

About the NRA, the guns in the workplace thing is just freaking insane. As if being at work wasn't enough of a pain and oftentimes frustrating, now they want to ensure any of our coworkers can come in packing heat.

Look if you're out there logging in the Yukon and have to deal with grizzlies and such, maybe bringing a gun along is not a bad idea. Similarly if there is genuine danger of some kind in your workplace, but if you work in an office at a workstation, bringing guns in is just asking for trouble.

I wonder if the NRA folks recognize that every time they facilitate a destructive rampage by a gun wielding loon they are creating circumstances that will lead to restrictive gun control legislation.

Maybe that's what they want, to provoke incidents followed by restrictive legislation -- as a means of getting people riled up and increasing their membership. (?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 28 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]413576[/snapback]</div>

10. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Mar 28 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]413576[/snapback]</div>

haha! That's awesome, you just reminded me of Walter from Big Lebowski.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Charlie Rose interview with Ford CEO, "more hybrids." Green Goat - more efficient hybrid trains. Hybrid buses more and more common (CNG, diesel) - currently in national parks. More and more cities with hybrid fleets of taxis, including London UK. Toyota to soon offer PHEV, plug-in hybrids. For efficiency and to meet air quality standards there ARE more and more hybrids.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Mar 28 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]413558[/snapback]</div>
    Of Course your dumbass friend heard that junk on the news. Rather than spend $$$ on developing hybrids, GM sponsers the news ... so they say what ever they're told :lol:

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wish I'd had a hybrid back when gas was 89 cents, so I could have spent less THEN.

There'll always be someone to find the bad in anything you think is good. The trick is to be sure your good is REALLY good so their bad is invalid...

14. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I think that most vehicles should be hybrids. The average commuter does not need a 600horspower 700 pounds of torque biturbo v12 to go between 5-35 mph in stop and go traffic. Nor does s/he need a 7-12 passenger suv to do the same. For families a hybrid makes since for the person commuting to work everyday and a mini van or small suv for the other member to haul the kids around to what ever it is they do. These 7 ton behemoths are just not needed for the average person/ family.

Now on the flip side there is a place for the big trucks and suvs. I have two friends that both work in construction. One has a huge F350 turbo diesel he hauls a generator around plus who knows how many pounds of gear in the bed of the thing. There is no way he can do his job with a small car or hybrid. Another friend is mason and has one of those big suvs with his stuff in the back. They actually need these vehicles to do there job not just to haul a towel and a pair of ray bans to and from the local country club.

People you can fit 2 full sized golf bags in the trunk space of the prius with the back seats up and the cover covering them. I am not sure how many you can fit in the back with the seats down maybe 5-6.

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well that's fantastic IAO, then just install the "golf cart mode" button, and you don't even have to get out of your Prius when you get to the country club, just drive right onto the course! :D

16. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 28 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]413638[/snapback]</div>

You have no idea how many times I think that. I also get comments when I stealth around the lot trying to find a spot to park people say stuff like that all the time. “nice golf cart ha ha ha” usually from the guy getting out of his giant suv with a golf bag and towel. Oh I forgot his ray bans. Obviously I have to rent clubs as the sunglasses take up all the room in my car and the bag is just way to heavy for the car to haul around.

Seriously though I have thought about just driving around from hole to hole with my car. But opening the trunk and doors all the time would get old.

Maybe if I just take the doors and trunk lid off. Hmm I bet the reduction in weight would boost my mpg.

17. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL nice discussion. but really thread starter, why? makes searching for relevant stuff take longer/clutters up the place.

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R1200GS @ Mar 28 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]413652[/snapback]</div>
    Huh?

19. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. I confess, it's my fault. I bought a Prius and now they are on the way out. Happens to me all the time! :rolleyes:

20. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Mar 28 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]413788[/snapback]</div>

Well if that’s true I think we all pitch together and help you get a big giant suv from each of the big three. :lol: :p :lol: