1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids in accidents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Jul 23, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just saw a preview for tonight's 11:00 news on channel 4 in Los Angeles. They are doing a story on the dangers of hybrids involved in car accidents.

Edit: The 6:00 national NBC news is also doing a report on the dangers of hybrid accidents as well. Will be on in the next 30 minutes.

2. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it possible that these are being sponsored by GM?

3. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The story was about special training for rescue workers who were receiving training for cutting apart hybrids to rescue accident victims inside.

They were saying that if the prius was involved in an accident that it was possible rescue workers could be electrocuted during an attempted rescue of passengers within the vehicle. They also pointed out that it was possible for the car could to be so badly damaged that it may not be recognized as a hybrid.

One person who had taken the training said that it was only a matter of time before someone was electrocuted because hybrids were so prevalent.

Toyota was reported to have said that in the case of an accident the batteries would be isolated/disconnected from the rest of the car. It was also reported that Toyota always encouraged safety training.

I felt there was an implication that the Toyota is run by a bunch of dummies who don't really know anything about the car, are recklessly endangering innocent American lives and are clueless compared to channel 4 and its expert that took a safety training class.

I think it was a slow news day.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to point out that with any car, it's possible to get electrocuted. Either way, you're gonna die (well, maybe not with 12V). Seriously though, are they saying that the rescue departments are colour blind and cannot spot the orange wires?

5. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

The same story just ran on the local Washington, DC news this morning. I'm guessing that this is simply the same kind of fear and inertia that caused warnings about those new fangled automobiles spooking the horses in the early days of motoring.

It's just a matter of additional training, I'd think that the chances of electrocution are probably less than a hazard due to the gasoline. Rescue teams know they shouldn't cut the fuel lines, now they just need to know not to cut the high voltage lines.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that "news" story may have been sponsored by GM. But like everything else in the media, they make it up as they go along.

What about the dangers of airbags that haven't deployed? There are documented cases of rescue personnel being hurt or killed by accidently deploying an airbag while working an extrication.

The last thing I'd worry about is the HV battery system. It will fail safe if the airbag deploys, that is the relays open.

If there is a serious malfunction after a crash and the relays are jammed closed, there is also a HV fuse in the battery pack. The HV fuse will open or "blow" if there is too much current flow or a dead short.

First Responders have had to deal with new car technology for a long time now, and they receive regular updates and training:

http://www.extrication.com

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These stories have come out about every six months. Think it must have been a slow news day so the dragged this story out again. After all hybrids are news.

Here is a notice that Toyota put out the last time the subject came up:

Toyota Prius Engine Safety in the Event of an Accident

The Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid vehicle has many safeguards to help ensure safe operation for drivers and protection of emergency response professionals in the event of an accident.

The high voltage batteries are contained in an extremely strong protective case located in a portion of the vehicle very unlikely to be penetrated in a collision. Drivetrain management computers continuously monitor all system functions performing hundreds of tests each minute. In the event an abnormal condition is detected, all high voltage circuits are disabled and high voltage is contained inside the protective case.

Further, two safety mechanisms are in place that shut off the engine and disconnect high voltage if an airbag is deployed or if there is a sudden deceleration indicative of an accident. High voltage cables and components are heavily insulated, shielded, isolated and the cables are painted bright orange for easy identification. The controller box is a sealed unit and has warning labels.

To reassure emergency response professionals when the Prius was introduced in 2000, Toyota placed advertisements in trade publications and sent letters to industry organizations announcing the availability and dissemination of Emergency Response Guides. Today, all Emergency Response Guides for Toyota's alternative fuel vehicles, including Prius, RAV 4 EV, CNG Camry and Highlander Fuel Cell Hybrid are available at Toyota's technical information web site and Toyota continues to advertise in appropriate professional publications.

Electrically driven Toyota vehicles like the Prius, RAV 4 EV and e.com have been available in the U.S. since 1998. Like all vehicles, they can be involved in emergency situations. They have established a good track record for electrical safety and we are not aware of a battery case breach or any personal injury in the U.S. related to hybrid or EV electrical systems.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa\";p=\"110271)</div>
    Yeah, you can always tell a slow news day. I swear it wasn't long ago that I saw a report talking about the dangers of talking on the cell phone too long due to radiation in the side of your head. Talk about your old stories and scare tactics. But hey, it's relevant now with Chicago implementing a hands-free law.