1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrids replacing SUVs as targets of driver anger

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by online101, Mar 7, 2006.

1. online101

online101 New Member

Giant-size sport-utility vehicles have enraged motorists for nearly two decades because of their size, gas consumption and sometimes bully drivers.
    Now there's another class of vehicles drawing anger on the freeway: sleek, fuel-efficient hybrids.
    Call it Prius envy.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...on/14037080.htm

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It doesn't surprise me much, alas. Back when gas was relatively cheap, jobs were plentiful and the auto company guys were getting five figure bonuses every year, they drove like jerks in their large gas guzzlers, cutting off people in smaller vehicles, driving aggressively, yada yada yada. Now that they find themselves to be on the wrong side of the equation and the Prius drivers are perceived as being right after all, the guys in large gas guzzlers are cutting off people in smaller vehichles, driving agressively, driving like the jerks that they are. The bottom line is that they're jerks.

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have the HOV stickers and, on occasion, I will drive the HOV lanes. However, most of the time I do not because traffic is moving near to or above my preferred speed of 65 mph. If I do choose to drive the HOV lanes because traffic is slow or stopped then when traffic flow in the other lanes is at or above my prefered cruising speed I make the effort to MOVE TO THE RIGHT .

Sadly, this is not the case for others I have seen, trucking down the HOV lane, sporting their bright yellow stickers, at 55 or 60 mph. I don't blame people for getting pissed. But at the same time I have seen too many people driving the HOV lanes with 2 or 3 people in the car at 55 mpg.

I also keep a eye on my rear-view mirror to make sure that I'm not holding anybody up (within reason because I will NOT drive at 75 or 80 just to keep that schmuck :wacko: in his Hummer happy).

BTW, I just wish the CHP would get out there and enforce some of the speed limits to keep those idiots in the HOV lanes down to a reasonable speed. Flashing by at 75 when the lane next to you is at a near standstill is INSANE . You never know when someone will suddenly decide to cut into the HOV lane :blink: because they are in a rush. It's one of the reasons that when you are on a bike there are limits to how you can split lanes and what the differential speed can be. The biggest limit is in the eye of the cop and what he thinks is safe.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

Its called envy. The only solution is for them to trade in their beasts for a Prius. The sooner the better.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As if the guy driving the speed limit is the bad guy and the jerk who wants to speed and drive aggressively is in the right? Another case where the aggressor is seen as the victim. Aw, poor little F350 dualy who wants to go 85 in a 65 zone being victimized by the big bad Prius driving the speed limit. Oh how could he survive such an ordeal?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When gas again hits a $3.00 national average, $4.00 in some areas, you will see articles telling everyone that driving about ten miles per hour slower will make that $150 tank of gas go further. And the person who writes that article will be heralded as a genius.

7. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I haven't had this problem in the HOV lanes myself (though I'm usually only in areas with HOV lanes a few times a year), but around here, we have similar behaviors from the jerks who think everyone should get out of their way. And here, in my experience, it has been mostly (though not completely) pickup/SUV drivers that are inconsiderate. Yes, I have seen car drivers who are just as bad or worse, but they are in smaller numbers. I have yet to have problems from another hybrid driver (and we have a decent and growing Prius population here, most days I see at least one other, and that's been increasing).

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Typical. I usually drive at the speed limit unless I'm coming off of a big hill, then I coast and pickup as much speed (within reason) as I can to recoup my losses. I stay in the right lane almost all of the time for all of the reasons mentioned above. Is there a Prius caltrops mod? That'd get those GD aggro SUV pukes to back off.

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, but I'd prefer to not have that aggressive driver with his F350 or Hummer parked 2 feet off my rear bumper at 65 mpg. I've been there too many times with idiot 4 wheelers tail-gating me when I use to ride motorcycle. It's simpler just to move over and let them go zooming past.

10. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Actually, an in-law of mine once asked if there was a way to mount a small BB gun, rock tosser, or something of that nature, on the underside of a vehicle, specifically for dinging tailgaters.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regardless of speed, SUVs and large pickup drivers seem to react with rage, excess speed and erratic driving. This is nothing personal against Prii or hybrids - they drive that way all the time.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

Simpler, maybe. But much more satisfying to gradually slow down and watch them fume in your rear mirror.

13. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

Yeah, satisfying until that bonehead decides to make a LOSE-LOSE decision and wage road war with you. Seriously, it all depends.. if you're a parent of 2 with the kids in the car, you can't be too careful.

I've had cops pull over someone for tailgating me (fast lane, I was going 75, loser wanted to go 110)... and it'd be nice if they actually did this more often.

I wish people would realize that speed differential is what kills (this applies equally to the "Prius HOV slowpokes" as well as the "idiots driving at 75 next to standstill traffic").

14. benighted

benighted New Member

I drive in the right lane when going slower. If anyone ever flashes their lights at me and/or honks and rides my bumper I use the windshield washer overspray feature, It seems to get more spray on the car behind you than the Prius windsheild.

15. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was driving down the 35mph University Ave in La Mesa Monday morning. There are lots of turns, semi business, semi residential. I am driving the speed limit with a Dodge p/u riding my ____. She speeds around me on the right 25 feet in front of the left turn where we are both turning. There are cars in front of her and we plod up (at the speed limit) Massachusetts Ave toward the 94. She is on the cell phone all the way. As the road splits I am taking the right lane to get on the freeway, she is going straight but feels the need to jerk her wheel to the right as if to go into my lane. I just held my hand up and rubbed the first 2 fingers to the thumb ($$) to let her know the money was on my side no matter how she reacted. I am sure that she was too stupid to get it.

People are rude. Many don't care that what they do has an effect on others. If it's not the Hybrids it will be something else.

16. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm content to stay in the right lane or at least right most lane going my speed. But I do pull over to the left to give the trouper room while he has the F350 pulled over to exchange pleasentries. :lol:

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I second the notion of cleaning my windshield to back off tailgaters. Whenever someone is on my back bumper I feel an uncontrollable urge to make my windshield spotless!

18. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only had my Prius a week and already I have noticed how people quickly make the assumption that it is the car that makes you drive slowly. I was in the right lane in traffic, and did not gun it through a yellow light. The woman in a minivan behind me spent the three minutes the light was red motioning "pedal faster, 45" over and over again. And she was blatantly screaming. (Speed limit was 45....but the speed limit is irrelevant in bumper to bumper traffic).

What a wonderful lesson she was teaching her children. How to be an agressive driver...taught while still in a car seat.

We were in bumper to bumper traffic in an area that I know has a significant problem with people getting stuck in intersections or getting hit. And I was in such a hurry to get to Target ;)

If only I had known how to work the rear windshield washer... then again maybe she would have gotten out of her car for that one. I would have loved that call to the police...I have a woman behind me flipping out because I stopped at a stoplight and cleaned my rear windshield.

Edit: Fixed my error....she was flipping while we were sitting at a RED light.

19. jchu

jchu New Member

I think all of you who are worried about that F350/Hummer sitting two feet off your rear bumper at 65 mph, have it all wrong. You misunderstand their intentions...

They are not trying to bully you into going faster or move over... They are JUST DRAFTING :p :p :p

20. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Who's the aggressive driver? The idiot in the F350 on your tail, or the idiot driving your car who is going under traffic flow in an aggressive manner (not aimed at speed and a shorter commute, but aimed at some trophy mpg reading).

I'd say it's both.. two idiots.

Even if you are in the right lane doing the speed limit and the right lane traffic is 5 to 10 over, you should flow with traffic and not have the right lane having to go out around you. Use common sense and get your head out of your tail and you'll find that the hummer is also off your tail.

Did you ever do the math. If you flow with traffic and not cause a disruption, you may forfeit 1 mpg on your trip. That may cost you an extra nickle. On my 64 mile commute, the difference between 50mpg and 51 mpg at 2.47 for gas is 6 cents.

It costs the earth more than 6 cents for each person you have flooring it to get out around your lurpy slow poke prius, and you are the source of an accident waiting to happen, and likely one you'll be involved in. The good news is.. you are still 'right' even when you are upside down in the ditch with all your airbags deployed.

Your cars are all nice and smooth even up to 75 or 80 if you need it. Don't be a moron.