1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydroedge no longer available for standard Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikepaul, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think this will look the same to you unless you tell the site you want tires for a Prius, but...

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/M...retype=0&tire=0 says the Hydroedge isn't available in a size suitable for a Prius.

http://www.michelinman.com/mastapp/servlet...998&source=TAHP tells me what I can actually pick from.

Any idea what 's up? Has Michelin always directed Prius owners away from the Hydroedge line, and people just bought them anyway?...

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Their web site still shows the correct size for the Prius.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the tire pressure. The Toyota recommended pressure for the front is 35 PSI which is also the maximum pressure for the Hydroedge.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The standard width for the 14" on CLASSIC is indeed not suitable at 35 PSI. But if you just increase the tire-pressure or just switch to a slightly larger size, it is totally a non-issue. By the way, I saw my first CLASSIC with HydroEdge tires just a few days ago.

As for the HSD, it's a non-issue no matter what size you choose, including the standard... which is still listed as available. The fact that it tells you there's no match is probably a software/data problem, perhaps they still have think the XL rating is required.

4. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    jfshultz, where are you getting 35 PSI as the max inflation pressure for the HydroEdge? The specs state 44 PSI.

5. Gen2

Gen2 Member

I agree that its probably a software glitch. I spoke to Michelin many time last year when I was researching low rolling resistance tires for the Prius and I can tell you that they are not the most organized tire company in the world. In fact, every other tire company returned my calls and were generally helpful in trying to get my questiuons answered. Michelin was so confused that every person I spoke to gave me a different answer. All this took six months whereas it only took tow ore three calls with the other companies.

Just to keep the record straight, I like their tires, have used them for decades and am extremely likely to buy them for the Prius (especially if they come out with a low rolling resistance version for the HydroEdge).

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I asked Michelin why the Prius tires list didn't include the Energy MXV4 tires. They said the software tries to just match the tire to the oem ones for speed type. I got the impression they plan to fix this.

7. Gen2

Gen2 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos\";p=\"84104)</div>
    If you go for the Michelin MXV4 Energy, please make sure you go for the PLUS version of the tire. It is as big improvement over the Energy MXV4 as the Energy MXV4 was over conventional tires.

I have used the Energy series since they forst came out and really like them. Now if they would only make an Energy version of the Hydroedge, then we could really have an awesome Prius tire.

The Energy MXV4 is available in Prius' size. You have to look up the tire in the chart by hand since Michelin still hasn't updated their software. I complained to their US HQ via many phone calls a year ago this month and they still haven't done anything about it. One Michelin employee told me that they buy the car database from another company so they have no ability to fix it.