1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen Fuel Cell on my Prius gives me 65mpg+ going 65mph

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dtraveler, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dtraveler

dtraveler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    feature=plcp

Haven't been back in a while. I should be put up on the 700 mile club also. I'll make another video later with the fuel cell, but this video will demo that a fuel cell works. The inventor of the fuel cell is Tom Brundige. I've had it install for about 5 months. I've been testing it to see how it holds up and it holds up very well as you can see the video. I'm up for criticism so I can explain other things. Fuel cell will work on any vehicle. I put it in mine to get better mileage. Fuel cell only works when the engine turns on.

Ask questions and I'll answer them when I have time.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And how much do you pay for the hydrogen?

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My best guess this thing generates Hydrogen gas that is added to the air intake.

From their web site:

Aarmourcharge® can be ingested before and after use without causing physical internal damage.

Service is required every 6,000-10,000 miles. Systems will need to be flushed and replaced with new Aarmourcharge. Only authorized and trained technicians are allowed to service and install the fuel cell systems. Customers are never allowed to install, tamper, alter or service their purchased systems unless proper authorization and training has been recieved from a Bionom Tech, Aarmourtherm® Foundation, or an Auto Green Tech representative.
    This will ensure that the conversion of your vehicle into a Muti-Blend Hybrid is accomplished with your safety being #1.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    "Aarmourcharge® can be ingested before and after use without causing physical internal damage."

It's water.

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yup. electricity plus water = hydrogen with much less potential energy than the amount of electricity initially consumed = stupendous mileage ;)

65 mpg at 65 mph on a gen 3 isn't particularly unusual is it? My Gen 2 cruises at 55-60mpg at that speed.

Rob

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  7. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know, I know, its all in the Brown's gas and whirling vortex of power :D

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Total NONSENSE .. I can do this without any hydrogen cell ...

bullshit ...

But if you BELIEVE this good for you ... I live an NYC and have a killer deal on the Brooklyn bridge ...

Please share with us where did you get this fuel cell and how much did you pay ...

YOUR mpg is due to your driving not the fuel cell at all !!! actually 65 MPH is better then the slow lane in most cases

Also can you share what degree(s) you have liberal art ??? or something ???

Here is a quote from the website of this product :

"All systems run under ten (10) amps.
    Thomas J Brundige, owner and lead scientest at Aarmourtherm® Foundation invented our non-toxic, biodegradable, safe for the environment Aarmourcharge® stabilizer. This is the liquid we use in the electrolysis process to generate our powerful HHO FREE dry hydrogen fuel."

See the misspelled word of "scientist" (that is so he can never be sued as a scientist) and after this YOU bought something from them ... I guess you also dig the snake story ...

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it April already?

10. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I missed something..

11. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OHHHHH!!! I get it now!!! :ROFLMAO:

12. dtraveler

dtraveler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fuel cell will cost $350, plus $100 installation for a total of $450. Like somebody who looked up the description said, you'll need to replace the "water" every 5,000 miles or so for $25. I'll have to go to his place to demonstrate how hydrogen is created later. I could never get pass 61mph at all my fill-ups, so this is an improvement. If the speed limit was 60 or lower, I'd get much better mileage. I have a record of all my driving. I had the fuel cell installed back in March, but there was a charge problem. Took it off for the 5,000 mile maintenance and put it back on after. Tom charged the fuel cell up and you can see the change.

This fuel cell works better on a conventional car because the engine is running constantly while the prius' engine turns on and off. H+ is only created when the engine runs.

Attached Files:

13. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Based on the info here:
    http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/40605.pdf
    a high class (ie big & expenssive) commercial electrolyzer uses about 53.4 - 70.1 kWh to produce 1kg of hydrogen. A cheap unit is almost certainly less efficient than this, but we'll just assume its an amazing product.

Based on the info here:
    Energy density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hydrogen gas has a specific energy of 141.86 MJ/kg, or 39.4kWh/kg.

So right off the bat we're in trouble. Electrolysis uses 35.5-77.9% more energy to make the Hydrogen than the resulting energy contained in the Hydrogen.

The next problem is that burning hydrogen is a very inefficient way to extract its potential energy. At best a specially tuned hydrogen ICE might achieve 40% efficiency, but injected into a standard gas ICE it will be no more efficient than the typical ~20% or so. It could actually be worse as the fuel mix is not necessarily well matched, but we'll ignore that.

So at 20% efficiency, we can extract 39.4 * 0.2 = 7.88kWh/kg of energy from the Hydrogen by burning it in an ICE.

That brings us to the production volume. The add states <10A power consumed on a 12V system. So that's 120W. Cruising at 60mph, 120W * 1 hr / 60 mph = 2Wh/mi of electricity consumed. Using the above production rates, that will produce 0.0187 - 0.0285 grams of hydrogen per mile. When injected into the ICE and combusted, that will yield about 0.147 - 0.22 Wh of drive power per mile.

So in a vehicle cruising at 200-250 Wh/mi, we're using an extra 2Wh/mi to get back an extra 0.147-0.22Wh/mi. That obviously won't boost your mileage, but could technically degrade it by ~1%.

Now the salesmen are smart enough to know that, so they claim its all about how the (very, very, very small amount of) hydrogen produced mixes with the gasoline to make it burn more efficiently. While not impossible, to my knowledge this has never been demonstrated and verified in an independent, controlled test facility running before and after load efficiency maps. My guess is it never will be either. Instead we get a lot of anecdotal evidence by folks who see amazing results without realizing that their way of driving the car differently trying to get great results are probably responsible for all the observed improvements.

Rob

finman, szgabor and ftl like this.
  14. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let me just run some numbers here to demonstrate that EVEN if you were right and this device would do what you claim it does ...

$450 today buys over 100 gallon gas. just let start with 100 gallon

Let's try to calculate how long you will have to drive to save this much gas...

Let see if you start with 55 mpg without the device and it gains 5 mpg making it 60mpg

10,000 miles @55 180 gal @60 166 difference 14 gal
    20,000 miles @55 360 gal @60 333 difference 27 gal
    50,000 miles @55 909 gal @60 833 difference 75 gal
    getting there right ???

so about 70,000 miles will get your money back (I ignored the "recharge fees" which would be at least another $350 !! )

Look if we use the recharge YOU NEVER get your money back kapish ??

let just see another from 50 to 55 change (this would presume that at lower mpg the device is better why of course no clue)

10,000 miles @50 200 gal @55 180 gal difference 20 gal
    50,000 miles @50 1000 gal @55 909 gal difference 91 about the magic 100 gal (additional $250 ignored)

According to your record your yearly gas would be about 200 gal which means you drive around 11k a year so you never going to make it !!!!

So even if this was not snake oil, why on earth would anyone buy this unless they drive 40k a year ???

But again dear OP just BELIEVE! Facts, science and reasoning are for pussies just BELIEVE the "scientest" whatever that means.

By the way you seem to be novice in this, your MPG increase is DUE to seasonal change your log start Dec 2011 and little by little get better wonder device installed in the spring "increasing" your mpg (warmer weather did that !!! coupled with more practice)

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would have been nicer to have turned on the car's cruise control to hold a constant 65 mph and see less throttle manipulation. It is hard to tell if the 65 mpg readings you are getting are due to running the speed up to 70 mph and slowly throttling down or if you are going downhill, downwind etc.

But, I will agree with the basic premise that if you are traveling at 65 mph on flat terrain with no tail wind, I would not expect mpg's > 65 mpg, and closer to the 55 - 60 mpg range on the display.

16. dtraveler

dtraveler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why I prove this test on a round trip. You may assume that going one direction would have given me a down hill slope, but I do drive back to where I live with a gain. There are hardly flat terrain on our socal/la freeways.

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If any device installed in a motor vehicle would increase mpg's the
    car manufactures world wide would use it. As it is now car manufactures
    would nearly sell their first born to get another 1 mpg.......

Car manufactures invest billions of dollars in research and
    development to improve efficiency in their vehicles.

For the most part don't expect someone working in their garage with
    a six pack to come up with a device that gets a 30% improvement
    in fuel mileage.

18. dtraveler

dtraveler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bet Galileo expected criticism when he said the planets revolved around the sun. For all you naysayers if I told you that LA will be sunny today, many people will come up with inane math with wind speed and barometric pressure and all this stuff us non-techinical people would understand (I'm non-technical). Then I'd tell the goober, "hey look out window today, it IS sunny.

You can look my video and do the calculations yourself if you like. I have a time stamp and the distance I traveled. Do the math and it will show I keep at 65mph or above. You don't have to see where I go, do the math of distance and time and you'll calculate speed.

For people who say it's summer speed. OK, I'd like to see people in socal show us that they can travel 65mph and keep 65mpg. Please do show.

If it's down hill in one direction, I would get higher mileage, but I do travel in the opposite direction and maintain 65mpg (to nearly the same spot).

The power supply is like simply plugging in to where a radio it get its power, from the battery. If you say it will drain the battery, well, those people who have 1000 watt speakers in their cars uses battery too. You should warn them that their batteries will drain soon. But that's why we have alternators.

Do you really want a controlled experiment? Toyota's controlled experiment says they do on a closed road to get 50mph. How many people here can get 55mph? Many! Because controlled is not real life. How many people can get 60mph doing techniques? Many because they control it, just as I do. I have controlled my driving as much as possible and you can see I never go above 61 mph without it.

How many people who live in socal with our non-flat terrain and 65 speed limit can show they get this mileage?

I said I'll make another video today, but I'll make one next week to show the inventor and the jists of how the fuel cell works.

Some people say 'pictures or it didn't happen.' Well, I show a video. Let's you naysayers make a video going this speed (round-trip) and show 65mph and 65mpg.

Oh, they invented lightbulbs that can last a 100 years. Then they found out it's bad business practice and made it last not as long.

19. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Driving 65 mph in warm weather, non ethanol gasoline, no passengers, dry smooth roads, with a slight decline in elevation it would be a snap to achieve 65 mpg "indicated" at 65 mph with a stock prius.

I am sure other members in this forum can attest to this...

20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep,

Been there, done that.

DBCassidy