1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen Hybrid Bus To Help With 2010 Olympic Commutes

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It still surprises me when I see news about hydrogen and hybrid technologies with the phrase "University of South Carolina" in it, but that's what we have here. My great alma mater has surprisingly become a hub for advanced fuel technologies, and for the 2010 Winter Olympics they are lending out the Hydrogen Hybrid Bus to Victoria, British Columbia. The Olympics should be a great opportunity to further test the bus since up to this point it has only been tested in the relatively mild climate of Columbia, South Carolina. According to MidlandsBiz.com:
    A purpose-built, 35-foot, 37 passenger bus, the Hydrogen Hybrid Bus begins its journey north, leaving and travel to Golden, Colorado where it will be serviced for cold weather operation and then proceed to Victoria, British Columbia for transit operation. Pending final approval from the Canadian Government, the bus will begin carrying passengers for approximately one month to support the influx of visitors to Victoria during the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. The bus has been in Columbia undergoing testing since August of 2009. Upon completion of the BC Transit demonstration, the bus will return to Columbia to become part of the University of South Carolina transit fleet.​
    Facts about the Hydrogen Hybrid Bus: A prototype, the Hydrogen Hybrid Bus was built by Proterra with funding from the Federal Transit Administration as part of the National Fuel Cell Bus Program, managed by the Center for Transportation and the Environment. The demonstration in Columbia, SC is the result of a partnership of local agencies and businesses including, The South Carolina Research Authority, (SCRA), Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority (CMRTA), The City of Columbia, Signature Transportation Services, Big Fish Advertising and Public Relations, and The University of South Carolina. The Hydrogen Hybrid Bus is engaged in a three-year demonstration and evaluation project to prove the feasibility of advanced, hydrogen fuel cell technology applications for mass transit. The primary mission of the demonstration program is to gather and transmit data to federal and state agencies on the bus’ performance including the onboard fuel cells and fast charge battery components. All of the captured data is sent to various locations for evaluation, including the National Renewable Energies Laboratory in Colorado for public reporting. South Carolina and USC, were the first choice of bus demonstration and evaluation locations because of their prominence in fuel cell and hydrogen research. Read more over on MidlandBiz.com

2. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Somewhere there is a Nissan Murano that is missing its tail lights!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah and GM's all over the place with the Olympics. Oddly enough, their fleet includes a LOT of new Chevy Traverses..... You'd figure they use a Tahoe Hybrid instead.

4. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange looking taillight combo. New Flyer also delivered some hydrogen buses to Vancouver for the Olympics. I'm a bit biased, but am starting to like the look of the restyled New Flyers.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'e had a myriad of test buses... I've seen a Two-Mode Hybrid bus (it was really cool to ride that one) as well as a biodiesel bus.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder where the snow is. What were they thinking, holding Winter Olympics in Vancouver? Whistler should be fine, but the local hills are green and brown, not white. Alternate sports will include water skiing, sailing, golf, and mud wrestling. :cool:

And a big thumbs down on the hydrogen bus. We should have bought trains.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Where's the Royal Hudson??

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2860 lives in Squamish now, though it will be active again in early February for a run out to White Rock and back. Check this out if you're interested.

As beautiful as the Hudson is, I was thinking of something a little newer and more efficient for the Olympics, like maybe a tilting train to handle the many curves on the route from Vancouver to Whistler. Even the old RDCs would move more people with less impact than buses could.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That didn't go well at all for the the Republican Convention, here last year.

40 of those monsterous guzzling Two-Mode hybrids sent a very interesting message about their "green" intentions.

10. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL... Hydrogen.. LOL.. got my prius using it lol

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better than a fleet of non hybrid Traverses. Besides, what other hybrids does GM have?

Ok fine but any train would work since it can carry a lot of people and has its own set of rails. Have you seen the new Bombardier trams running from the Olympic Village Station to Granville Island?

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    My favorite hydrogen comment:

Hydrogen autos ... in just 5 to 10 years.
    And it always will be.
    :p

What that bus needs is a sticker on the back that states:
    "The only thing more expensive & wasteful than the cash it too to build this, is the expense & waste it'd cost for infrastructure".
    Ok, it IS a bit wordy ... but still.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hydrogen...the 'gift' that keeps on taking. ? :)

No, I haven't seen those new trams yet, though I have read about them and have seen a few pictures. Apparently they're being 'rented' from Belgium! Whether they were shipped over from Europe or diverted en route from the Eastern Canadian factory, I don't know. They are very nice, but putting the original designs back in permanent operation would be a huge tourist draw. Think cable cars in San Francisco.

Passenger trains of any type to Whistler and back could be effective. Given the terrain, a tilting design has the potential to be significantly faster. Alas, freight trains have the priority on that line.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we are the only 1st world country that doesn't have a super highway connecting all major cities... I don't expect any sort of expansion of transportation corridors any time soon (esp. with 2 mountain ranges in the way... could be costly)

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two mountain ranges? More like six or seven.

The Coast range, Cascades, Bugaboos, Purcells, Monashee, Selkirks, Rockies....not in any particular order. :)

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon? Been to Australia lately or are we second or third world?

Why not a solar bus?
    http://www.evfestival.com.au/assets/docs/tindofactsheet.pdf

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What about I-90 and I-94? I thought Canadians considered those part of their highway system. ;)

Tom

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah... I forgot yours is gravel LOL. Ours is paved... but one lane each way.

ok fiiiine. You're just giving Harper more reason not to help fund one. (not that I think we need one but frankly if they're not gonna upgrade the rail system, then upgrade the roads so that the truckers can feel safe)

lol. I take it that's south of the Great Lakes? I wouldn't know because I stuck to our side of the border when I drove by.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter how you count the ranges, the mountains are a formidable obstacle to both road and rail. The natural flow, at least geographically, is North/South, which had a great deal to do with building the railway in the first place. Most goods and passengers could be moved more efficiently by rail, but VIA has priced the cross-country trip far out of most people's reach. (Last time we looked at doing it, we bought a car instead.) Capacity is an issue for the railways as well, which reminds me of my favourite political quote of all time, by the infamous Rhinoceros Party: "East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet, even on a double twack." :)

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well unfortunately they decided that from the Great Lakes to the magical Pacific, the border shall lie on the 49th parallel. No one ever thought about the arctic and set the border at the 100° longitude lol.