1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen powered Hummer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobm, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bobm

bobm Junior Member

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found this statement rather amusing... "given that the hydrogen Hummer needs to refuel every 50 miles" ...then a bit frightening.

Fool-Cells have far more limiting factors currently than certain people are willing to admit.

10 years for the average consumer is rather unrealistic still. Look at how slowly acceptance of hybrids is taking. And they don't even need a special fuel. Cost & Reliability are huge hurdles to overcome too, especially since HSD is making the task to compete far more of a challenge.

As for this closing statement... "which plans to retrofit 35 Toyota Prius hybrid cars to use hydrogen instead of gasoline" ...it really doesn't accomplish much. Making a combustion engine run on hydrogen shouldn't be the point. Attention should be placed on reducing consumption instead. Fuel-Cells don't either. In fact, they are less efficient.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got it... the solution! On road refueling just like airplanes. We could have a series of hydrogen tanker trucks cruising around that you could dock up to on the road and refuel. Of course we would make the hydrogen by generating electricity with gas, oil and coal so it would support those industries. I know that I would feel bad if somebody in Saudi Arabia lost a job or something. :guns: :cussing: :flame: :flame: :evil: :cussing: I sorry a Hummer of any sort not being used for it's intended purpose by the military in a war zone is moronic. Just one persons opinion but I do feel better.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How about the hydrogen powered Navistar? It's already approximately the size of a standard yellow star. The problem comes, however, when it runs out of fuel and collapses under its own weight to create a black hole singularity.