1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hydrogen Road Tour coming through South Carolina this weekend

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll be there at the Columbia event sometime between 2-4 if anyone else wants to come. I'm looking forward to taking a spin in the Honda FCX Clarity.

Columbia, S.C. –The South Carolina Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Alliance (SCHFCA) will welcome ten hydrogen vehicles to South Carolina this Saturday when the Hydrogen Road Tour travels through our state on a cross-country education and publicity tour.

The Hydrogen Road Tour is a two-week series of media, VIP and public events throughout the country that demonstrates progress and commitment toward commercially viable, emissions-free hydrogen vehicles. The Tour will feature ten hydrogen vehicles traveling across the United States from Maine to California with 33 stops in 18 states. The SCHFCA will host three stops in South Carolina on Saturday, August 16 in the Upstate, Columbia and Aiken.​

“We couldn’t be more thrilled about the Hydrogen Road Tour coming to South Carolina,†said Shannon Baxter-Clemmons, Executive Director of the SCHFCA. “This Tour is a perfect opportunity for South Carolina’s citizens to learn more about the technologies that are reshaping our state’s economy through an exciting hands-on experience.â€

At two of the Hydrogen Road Tour’s stops, the public will be able to get behind the wheel of some of the world’s top hydrogen vehicles and take a short drive on a designated course.

The Tour’s first stop in South Carolina will be in the Upstate at BMW Zentrum on Saturday August 16 from 10:30am – 12:30pm. The stop will provide the media, invited VIPs and the public with a unique experience where they will be able to take part in a public ride-and-drive on a closed course. Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC) will be in attendance at the event where BMW will showcase the BMW Hydrogen 7, the world’s first luxury performance sedan with hydrogen drive.

The Tour’s second stop will be in Columbia at Midlands Technical College from 2 – 4pm when VIPs, media and the public will again be invited to get behind the wheel of a hydrogen-powered car. Midlands Technical College is home to the Fuel Cell Technician Program and recently received a $62,000 award from the Greater Columbia Fuel Cell Challenge to expand its fuel cell program. An educational area will be set up that will allow the public the opportunity to learn more about hydrogen technologies and the SCHFCA through educational displays, videos and literature.

Finally, the Tour will stop in Aiken at the Bridgestone Firestone plant from 5:30 – 7:00 pm and will refuel using Bridgestone’s hydrogen fueling station on-site, which supports their fleet of hydrogen fuel cell forklifts operating at the facility. The public will also be invited to learn more about the hydrogen fueling process and will be able to take a closer look under the hood of a hydrogen vehicle.

On Sunday, August 17, the Hydrogen Road Tour will begin its trek westward to California.

H2 - South Carolina Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Alliance

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, shoot. That's about 15 minutes away. I'll try to show up.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well Danny?
    What'd you think ... ?

(oh ~ maybe this'll temper your answer, and give anyone else enough ammo to send the hydrogen hoax folks back to the drawing board only, where they need to stay, for ever)

The New Atlantis » The Hydrogen Hoax

How's that hydrogen car lookin' to you?

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went, and wasn't really impressed with the event. The goal was pretty much to shuffle as many people through the seat of a hydrogen car in the shortest time possible, partially because the cars were at least an hour late in getting there. I did meet a few interesting people in the crowd (not PCers that I'm aware of) which made it worth the time.