1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. New Prius Fan

New Prius Fan New Member

Hi. I reada link about a under the hood hydrogen gnerator that emits hydrogen into the air intake of your vehicle which in turn would aid the combustion proccess to increase mileage and burn cleaner. As I have a limited knowledge of chemistry I wonder if this would really work?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what energy source is it using to generate the hydrogen? using energy from one source to make energy for use in another system in a net loss. Old saying, there is no free lunch.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think the guy was saying that in regular cars, it would use the waste energy (while the engine was idling, for instance) to create the hydrogen.

Of course, with cars that don't idle (big grin), it doesn't make much sense :)

Dave

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds plausible to me. reasons why regular cars' heaters work so well compared to the Prius is because they are wasting so much energy. if this method can recapture some of that lost power...great idea!!

now i have no real idea how it could be done...but i believe that this would not be an energy loss situation since it would be recovering a portion of the humongous amount of waste that all regular cars have

5. itstwowords

itstwowords New Member

See Hydrolysis for your car

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the hydrolysis article is currently being debunked as garbage...

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Making hydrogen will take power to do hydrolysis.... either from the gas engine or from grid power... either way is either inefficient or a waste of expensive resources....
    If your going to do grid power.. seems like more batteries would be wiser... not only give more storage.. but an even bigger buffer for the engine to spill into when its running and able to generate excess power.

It is kind of a shame to ever "fill the batteries".... True they have to be filled sometime.. not matter how big they are...but once filled, you should get a free ride for more than just a few miles?...
    I think more batteries would go far.. too bad they are too expensive to get still.