1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion/A123 ramping up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheForce, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont see a post but I will reply anyway.

I got the same survey. :D Where is those damn dancing bananas when you need one?

I cant wait to see what they offer for what price.

[edit] LOL First post and I did not even create the topic! :lol:

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Weird.... I tested by starting another thread and everything seems to be working fine.

Where's Evan hiding his post???

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a survey from Hymotion/A123 today. Sounds like they're getting down to the nitty/gritty of finding their range/feature/price point for their market as it asked a ton of questions about what trade-offs vs price and range you'd prefer.

I have to say I was excited to see some serious emphasis on the 30-50mile range packs...albeit mostly at a pretty high price point (+/- $10k).

I think they only sent password specific surveys to those who were registered at the site previously, but maybe you'll get one if you sign up today...

http://www.hymotion.com/survey.html

4. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Nov 26 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]544367[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto, I also got the survey today. Hooray!

MAB

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I hijacked Evan's topic. To all those posting Evan got this post started not me but I will take the credit anyway. :p

For that last question session I made all my options at or below $5000 or the best bang for the buck. Which ever was the better deal.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was kind of all over the board on those...mostly I looked at the lower priced options, but 1yr/10k miles warranty wasn't enough..
    I was also kinda looking for the drive train warranty (either OEM or aftermarket) at first then I realized that i'll be out of warranty anyway by the time adding a Hymotion pack becomes and option so that shouldn't be a factor.

I also excluded all the 10 mile range packs..I'd take a 20 mile pack if the price was great, but 30-40 is what I really want.

7. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 26 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]544448[/snapback]</div>
    I'd rather have an agreement that they'll replace it at cost if it fails, if they have an extended warranty they'll have to guess at the real world failure rate then tack on that guess to the original price.

Just have it cover rotten eggs that make themselves evident in the first few months.

I'm willing to pay a premium for them doing the research and bringing it to market once, but if I'm an early adopter I won't be willing for them to make profit off me twice if it fails.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll take 5 to 10 miles range. That is enough to cover severe (<10mph for 10+mins) city traffic jam on battery alone. 5 to 10 miles will also enable me to do short trips like to a bank, 7-11, or a near-by grocery shopping.

Anywhere further than 10 miles, I rather use gasoline because most likely, I will be jumping on the highway or travelling at higher speed. It will be very efficient for gas engine with the synergy that battery provides.

It seems silly to me to charge your car for 3 hours to drive 1 hour on the highway. Gasoline is more suitable on the highway. Battery is more suitable to short trip and heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic jams.... well, at least until the battery becomes more economical.

9. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just completed my survey too !!!! :)

My preference is for an EV-8 or EV-10 in the actual EV-2 compartment, and plug-in, w/o voiding all of Toyota's warranty, or getting an equivalent warranty.

I think higher than EV-10 would be overkill for most drivers, except those that really know their stuff, stuck for over an hour in traffic every day and doing 30+ miles one way.
    That is not the majority.

If you drive slow speed 10 mins to the highway, then on highway always do 50+ MPH, you'll be recharging your batteries more than draining them. Usually when off the highway to your job, you don't need much power to the parking lot, so even if you can't plug-in at work, the highway topped your batteries.
    The return trip likewise (green off the highway, yellow/red by the time you get home & plug-in).

It would be nice to graph cost vs economy, I'm sure above EV-20 it will be a diminishing return at today's battery prices and today's gas prices. EV-10 makes more sense.
    Then in 5 years from now, if EV-20 is the same price as today's EV-10, but gas has doubled, then you upgrade again, and so-on, for the life of the car.

A nice 50 year plan, my grandkids will be driving my Prius, with a EV-100 !!! Battery Moore's Law?

*** If you haven't gotten your survey, read below ***