1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion and Coastal Tech EV switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ualdriver, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I read through the EV switch threads, and I think I am going to go with the Coastal Tech EV switch. I have the Hymotion battery kit in my car. Are any of you aware of any problems/conflicts of this Coastal Tech kit with the Hymotion system?

Thanks!

2. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Hymotion and put my own EV button in using efusco's guide. The main difference between a straight out button like mine and the Coastal Tech version is that the Coastal version need to held for 2 seconds before it will signal EV mode to the hybrid computer.

Both the Hymotion and Coastal mod need to use the same pin on the hybrid computer, so you have two options; replace the Hymotion wire, or splice the Hymotion wire.

Option 1:
    The problem with replacing the wire is that the Hymotion will stop automatically setting EV mode when you slow down or after the engine warm-up finishes.

Option 2:
    The Hymotion likes being in control, and you will see the EV mode flip on/off constantly if you ever trigger it manually. The engine may or may not shut off, and it may end up running with EV mode "on". Fear not, there is a workaround!

I went for option 2 and I've found that if I hold the EV mode button for 3-5 seconds, the two system stop fighting and it sets EV mode consistently. However, if you're going the Coastal Tech way, I assume it's because you'd prefer the plug-n-play simplicity, so you'll have to weight your decision against giving up the automatic EV mode from the Hymotion kit.

3. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Hmmm......now you have me concerned :) I was going with Coastal because when I read the instructions on PriusChat (which I now cannot find for the life of me) it looked pretty easy. I've done lots of wiring at home with "normal" gauge wire, but I didn't want to play around with all of that seemingly fine automotive wiring per the Efusco guide so I thought Coastal would be the easiest to not screw up.

I've only had the Hymotion pack for a month or so, and I didn't realize that Hymotion set EV mode at all. I thought the Prius ICE ran just like it does and as often as it would with a non-Hymotion Prius. I thought the pack just kept the traction battery full which "tricked" the Prius computers into biasing toward less ICE, more electric thus improving miles per gallon. You'll have to educate me as to how the system really works.

Further, you comment about splicing the Hymotion wire......So the instructions that come with the Coastal kit are going to have to be modified a bit because of the Hymotion install? Do you have some insight on that as I was hoping that I could just follow the instructions as described with the Coastal kit and it would work. I would have to give up Hymotion automatic EV mode?

The main reason why I am trying to do this is because the warm-up cycle when I first start up the car is killing my overall mileage. I just want to be able to pull the cruise control stalk to keep the engine shut down until I reach the "high speed" roads a couple of miles away from my house where the engine is going to run anyway. It can warm up then.

He-he I think there are a few questions buried in there. If you can answer some or provide some insight, that would be great.

4. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wiring portion was pretty straightforward; I didn't solder anything, I used splicing clips. These are some pix of the clips I used...
    Installed: http://zeroreality.net/pix/phever/phever_090.jpg
    Parts: http://zeroreality.net/pix/phever/phever_091.jpg
    Usage: http://zeroreality.net/pix/phever/phever_094.jpg

The blue one clips onto the Hymotion wire (orange), cutting the wire's sheath on two sides and touching the metal. Once it's on, you use the red one on top so you can connect and disconnect as necessary. Also in the pix is the U-connector which I connected to ground which was just some bolt holding the air filter on.
    The actual button I used looks like this: http://zeroreality.net/pix/phever/phever_079.jpg

The Hymotion works pretty much as you described; sending a false 80% charge indicator to the hybrid control computer which then biases the car to use more battery juice instead of dino juice. It also sets EV mode when travelling under 52Km/h (not sure of the mph equiv).

Avoiding the warm-up cycle is a pain with the Hymotion kit and it will actively prevent you from setting EV mode manually... but again... there is a way; reverse. Putting the car into reverse will temporarily stop the kit from sending the spoof packets and it won't set (or unset) EV mode. So to do it right; turn the car on, put it in reverse quickly, and hit the EV mode quickly. You need to complete those steps usually before (or just after) the centre touch screen comes up at the menu. After you shift to drive the Prius computer and the Hymotion begin "fighting", but if you stay under the 52Km/h (or whatever the mph equiv is) you won't need to worry about it. However, if you do hit 52Km/h then you will get stuck doing the warm-up cycle.

5. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for all of that!

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, I took a look at your pictures. I do not know how familiar you are with the Coastal instructions but basically you're saying that the wire the Coastal mod will tap into is where the Hymotion wire is now so therefore I will have to splice into the Hymotion wire with the Coastal kit, correct? By splicing into that wire, though, I do not understand why I would lose Hymotion automatic EV when it is commanded by the system? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I wish I could find where those Coastal instructions were posted on this forum so I could be more clear, but I think I get it now.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I would just cut the Hymotion wire and leave it out of the loop. Just when you cut it leave enough wire coming from the connector side so that you can tap on to it with your EV button.

And I would go with a real EV button as in either the factory style button of if your wanting something cheap a momentary switch button. That way you can have EV mode instantly instead of 2-3 seconds from when you press it.

8. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Hi Force

I ended up getting that used Hymotion pack as we discussed via PM. The problem I am having (if you can call it that) is that I do many short, relatively low speed (<40 mph) journeys in my Prius and now that it is starting to get cold, the warm up cycle is killing my mileage. I assume a real EV switch as you discuss in your post is one per efusco's install, but unfortunately that is a little beyond my comfort zone, hence the Coastal switch and the questions about it.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you just want a button any momentary button will do and its easy to install. Might be even easier than the coastal even if you have to do some soldering and crimping for the wires and wire connectors. Worst case a lighter and some solder will do and a pair of pliers for crimping the connections. The hard part ( inserting the pin into the wire harness ) is all ready done by Hymotion but of course they would use the correct pin instead of an over sized sourced one from the steering column.

Buying an OEM EV button for $75 will include everything except some wire taps and wire to fish to the other side of the car.

Where are you located? There might be another Prius owner near by that could help with the install.

10. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah that is probably a little beyond my knowledge. I've done lots of home wiring, but I have not played with that fine gauge automotive wiring before. I think I can handle the Coastal install as long as all I have to do is splice into the Hymotion wire. What I found confusing was that I had to touch the Hymotion wire at all. I didn't want to screw anything up!

11. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TheForce is correct; just cutting the Hymotion wire off and using your own button is easier. The reason I suggested splicing the wire is because you wouldn't lose the automated EV mode set by the Hymotion kit.

I've been thinking about just cutting the wire so I have finer control over EV mode. I have also considered a cutoff switch which will isolate the Hymotion so it can't set EV mode but I can. And just Monday I started salivating at pEEf's thread where I might be able to program an external module for super-EV-mode (if he shares his knowledge of the engine/hybrid CAN bus).

If you're looking for ease of use; the Hymotion does it for you, why change it?

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Because I need a way to kill the warm-up cycle. It is killing my mileage.

It sounds like Coastal with a cut Hymotion wire for me. Thanks for the info guys!