1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion backlog? Anyone recently ordered?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PeakOilGarage, Dec 5, 2008.

1. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am trying to figure out if their backlog is being maintained, shrinking as the installs happen or if it expanding as more people hear about these and see them with regular people.

If you are on the waiting list for a Hymotion battery, please post the following information.

1) When did you place your online order?
    2) What is your estimated installation date?
    3) Did you get an installation number assigned to you? If so, what is that number?

2. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey PeakOilGarage,

I signed up on May 4th. for Denny Hecker VW in Minneapolis. I was told October. They then called me in late October. However, I could not travel and rescheduled for Jan 8. They seemed to be completely open at that time.

By the way, they said my number didn't matter but rather they went by deposit date.

3. gconk

gconk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ordered online, today, 01/14/08, and have been given a March shipping date. I haven't been contacted for an installation schedule, but was told to expect to be contacted in 3-5 business days. My installation number is 1382. I live in Delaware and the install will be done in Gathersburg, MD.

4. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You will enjoy the installation in Gathersburg. Great service and very appreciative of your business. I had mine done in October.

5. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Scheduled for install at Denny Hecker VW in Minneapolis, I postponed it in Oct. to Jan 8. Heard nothing, so on Jan 2, I called to confirm. They were taken over by Denny Hecker Toyota and had no record, but said they could accommodate my install on the 8th, which they did!!!

They were very good people and did a great job for me. However, I got the feeling they may not continue doing installs?

6. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gkalkas,
    Congrats on getting the install completed. What a week to start driving with it. I see you seeing -20s F. We're only in the single digits. If you don't have a full grill block I HIGHLY reccomend it. Especially with the L5. The ICE runs less and just the air flow through the radiator and around the ICE cools it off extremely quickly. For me the last 3 miles of my commute I climb a fairly big hill and my SGII shows ~157fWt at the top. With limited ICE operation after that and a full grill block the SGII temps will be in the high 120s to low 130s.
    Chris

I was rereading your profile. I was thinking MN when that's only where you had the install and your sig line shows you DO grill block. Please do stay warm though :)

7. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Boxer93,
    You're still right. I haven't driven since Tues. due to very cold temps. Yes, i'm babying it! And it's NOT that I don't want to drive it. Can't wait til Sat. when it's supposed to be above 20 F.

I'm assuming the A123 is not as exposed to warmer cabin temps as the Prius bat. since it is under the rear hatch?

George

8. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The A123/Hymotion battery is within the same area as the Prius battery. Both will be about the same temperature as the interior of the cabin.

Some areas of the USA still have a backlog because they are not doing them very fast. There were delays in California because of CARB regulatory issues.

In the Pacific Northwest they are almost caught up with the backlog, so the delay between a new order and installation is not long. They had two guys doing these non-stop for months. I think they have done over 150 to 200 Hymotion installs at Green Car Company.

9. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PeakOilGarage, thanks for the info. I'll adjust my winter driving accordingly.

10. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What is there to adjust? I really havn't been driving differently during winter. I added the grill blocking in December. But my actual driving habits have not really changed. What are you doing differently to help?

11. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check out "Hymotion mpg thread", post #6.

I assumed I needed to heat up the cabin to keep the new battery running properly, so I cranked up the heater settings. As a result, my mpg went way down.

Now settings are down to: low fan +1 and 72 deg., and mileage is pretty darn good. Though temp still barely gets into the 20's. Of course, I have only been PHEVing for a short time (and loving it :) ).

12. gconk

gconk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I go to Fitzgerald on Monday, Feb 23. They say they only need 8 hours and so I should be on my way back to Delaware that afternoon. Then on Tuesday, my rooftop solar panel installation will be started. I'm having 20 170 watt panels installed.

Go ahead and ask me if any of this is really financially prudent. As a 79 year old man, there's no way I'll live long enough, but the bragging rights are well worth it.

I last filled the tank on Jan 26 and still have 4 pips left. The MFD is showing 64.0 for 355 miles. Of course that will all go to pot when I have travel on the highway to Gaithersburg, but we'll see.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, you may not live long enough to see the solar panels pay for themselves but then again you may. But if you fall off this mortal coil before they have you will leave this world knowing those panels will be a legacy you have left to the new owners of the property and the world.

Enough of that crap, you stick around and enjoy those solar electric whatsanames.
    What else are you going to do with that money?

By the way, good on ya!!