1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion MPG thread

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Codyroo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All,

While viewing the 2010 threads, a conversation came up about the MPG's seen with the Hymotion battery pack addition. In looking through this forum, there isn't an "I exceeded the EPA estimate" thread to easily find out what the improvement has been.

If you don't mind (and I'm assuming you don't) would you list your old MPG's, New MPG's, your commute distance and speed, and if you plug in at each end of your commute. In this way, if people have questions regarding the improvement of MPG's by adding the battery pack, there will be a thread covering it (that is easily searchable).

Finally, I'm assuming, like a typical Prius, that MPG's are decreasing with the cold weather. Is that true? It will be nice when people have a year under their belts to see the overall range of the system.

2. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi CodyRoo,
    Here are some of my stats.
    My Commute is 10Mi each way. Speeds vary from 30MPH to 50MPH, 1 roundabout and 4 traffic lights. I also have a couple of hills to scale. I normally only plug in once a day unless I know I will travel further. I have permission from my employer to plug in at work, if necessary.

<1000 miles before hymotion install. Was getting 50-55MPG. 0 mods to the car.
    1st tank 26 Aug - 12 Oct 957 miles 105 MPG on 9.1 Gallons. Approx 150Wh per mile at .016 Cents US for each kWh. SGII install 29 Aug.
    2nd Tank 12 Oct - 7 Dec Don't have the miles figure in front of me. 95MPG. Upper Grill Block installed 12 Oct. Full Grill Block a week later. EBH installed 2 Nov.
    3rd Tank 7 Dec - (I'm at 60% full on 13 Jan). MFD Shows MPG at 80.0.

Weather affect, Yes. I rarely see EV mode with temps staying below 0C. I also like a little heat and this keeps the ICE running at times where it would normally shut off. I am curious to what my mileage will be with Warm Temps, EBH and Full Grill Block. On the Electricity side I have not seen an increase in my bill, since it was offset my 1 son moving out and another going to college at the same time of my install. I see my monthly usage ~75kWh. Which is ~$12US a month.

Is this what you were thinking?
    Chris

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here is the DoE test result of the Hymotion PHEV Prius conversion.

YMMV.

Attached Files:

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that is what I'm looking for.

Basically, it will answer some very common questions that will pop up when talking about installing the battery pack

1) How much of an improvement in MPG has been seen
    2) How much is MPG affected by weather
    3) If I have a similar commute, what can I reasonably expect my MPG to be.

Thank you for posting, and hoping to get more posts soon.

5. adagiopop

adagiopop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We bought our Prius in 9/2007. My commute at that point was 46 miles round trip.

Summer MPG (April-Nov here in Ohio) before L5 was 53.4.
    Winter MPG was 46.7.

My commute changed to 5.2 miles round trip in 7/2008 (after ordering L5).
    Also, we started doing a 100 mile drive each Saturday and monthly drives of 80 miles. We find that the battery runs out of charge at about 30 miles of travel.

This new pattern of driving has short trips (2.6 miles to work and back) and long trips (battery not used most of the trip) which probably combine to make our mileage about as bad as Prius/L5 mileage is going to be.

We got our L5 in 9/2008 and have only filled up a few times. Here is
    1) the overall MPG (mileage/gallons to filll up) and
    2) the L5 MPG by tracking the miles on gas only (after 30 miles on one charge) and assuming 52 mpg for Oct/Nov and 47 MPG for Dec

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0 Date MPG L5 MPG Est Gas MPG
    1 8-Oct 84.6 113.1 52 [/COLOR]
    2 31-Oct 79 98.4 52 [/COLOR]
    3 29-Nov 72.3 97.4 52 [/COLOR]
    4 13-Dec 63.3 77.9 47 [/COLOR]
    5 30-Dec 63.9 85.8 47[/COLOR]

There are definitely approximations in the L5 MPG, but our trips beyond 30 miles have been regular trips and I think those miles are fairly accurate.

You can see that weather has a definite impact on both gas and L5/gas MPG.

I hope that helps.

Ron

6. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For me, it's all about temp, and heater setting.

On Tue, ebh on 2 hours, temp 25f, heater on low +1, temp set 72:
    First 5 minutes 23 mpg. 2nd 5 minutes 52 mpg, 3rd 5 minutes 99.9 mpg. Driving was on neighborhood streets up to 42 mph.

Today, no ebh (black button on outlet tripped) temp 19f, heater on med + 1, temp set 75:
    First 5 minutes 8 mpg, 2nd 5 minutes 48 mpg, 3rd 5 minutes 80 mpg.
    Driving at 0-40 mph first 10 minutes, 50-60 last 5 minutes.

Heard from PeakOilGarage that battery temp will be near cabin temp. So you don't have to over heat cabin to keep battery warm (as I did today). Normal cabin heat should keep it warm enough.

7. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius, purchased in 10/03. Hymotion battery pack installed at 125K miles, In Denver Colorado 11/08. Present mileage: 134K miles.

100 mile commute. Green Valley to Oro Valley (Tucson Az.). Driven at an average near the speed limit when possible. Speed limits from 35 too 75. highway/city= 60/40 split. Includes one weekend/tank tooling around Green Valley at around 100mpg.

Hybrid milage: 50mpg

Phev milage: 60mpg (one charge/day)

cold wet weather: subract 3mpg/tank

Thanks-

Ron

8. Tedbro

Tedbro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a very positive experience with the Hymotion battery. I bought a used 2007 Prius in March and had the conversion done in April. I've been driving the convertion for about three weeks. Living in Florida, there are no cold weather challenges or hills to climb.

I drive 10-15 miles a day in short trips. For trips over 2 miles, I get the average up over 99.9 (maxed out). As you propably know, the ICE starts up whenever the car is cold started. It runs for about half a mile. Aftert that I'm generally in pure EV mode, unless I drive faster than 40mph.

I installed a Scangauge II this week. My first trip of 5.8 miles got me 160 miles per gallon. The return trip (obviously also 5.8) I got 225 mpg. If I could figure out a way to stop the ICE from starting until it was needed, I would use no gas at all on most days.

Eager to learn of other peoples experiences.
    Cheers,
    Ted
    Lake Worth, FL

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A manual EV button will greatly help your MPGs. Do a search on here to find more info on installing one. You will have to cut and use the EV line Hymotion uses if you put in a manual button.

You can also use a coolant temperature hack to help stay in EV mode longer. This right now requires constant monitoring and adjusting the coolant temp with a potentiometer. Its not for the average person.

10. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I'm not a hymotion owner, but can I add my mpg to the list?

I have a Prius with two additional battery packs installed, as most of you know.

My driving is split 50/50 between mid-long distance (above 30 miles) and short trips (sub 10 miles).

On my first tank, I managed 805 miles on one single tank. I returned an average of 74 US mpg.

So far, on the second tank, I've got four bars remaining on the tank. I have covered just over 650 miles. and have an average of 76 US mpg.

In a few weeks I'll have a week off school (I'm a teacher) so I'll be able to make local-only trips. I'm expecting the fuel economy to go way up.

It's interesting to see how the Hymotion marries up with my conversion. Obviously, my battery pack is a lot less - about 3.5 kWh if memory serves correctly.