1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hymotion Winter Grill Blocking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PeakOilGarage, Dec 13, 2008.

1. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My MPG has started to drop with the temperature. I am finding it tough to keep my MPG at 99.9. It is down to 97.5 and it is starting to drive me bonkers. I went to visit another PriusChat member to see his Grill Block and how he did it.

A quick trip to Home Depot to purchase some foam pipe insullation and mine is now done.

EBH is plugged in, Hymotion is recharging, test drive starts in an hour. :rockon:

2. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It is definitely working. I was at 97.5 mpg and I have about 350 miles in my current average. As it has gotten colder (20 F to 30 F lately) my average has been ticking down steadily.

Since I installed it yesterday afternoon I have done about 30 to 40 miles. My average is up to 99.2 mpg on the Prius computer. It will likely be pegged back above 99.9 within another day or so.

I was struggling prior to the grill blocking and it was still inching down in this cold weather. Now it is just steadily ticking upwards again.

Great idea. I am convinced that it works. Thanks to PriusChat members for the great advice and pictures.

With a Hymotion battery this is especially effective because so much more time is spent in EV mode. Retaining that heat in the engine really seems to be effective to improving performance.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    picturs from your gril bllock?

4. PeakOilGarage

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I will get some soon. It looks kinda wavy like the other pictures that have been posted. I might try to notch the foam so that it is more even in appearance.