1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyper Mileing Behind a Prius: (DUMMIES)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is it a Prius ad? . . . Leaf ad? Both? I hope all the folks viewing this find it a funny as I did:

Volt Dummiez : The Movie | Xtranormal

Cheers!
    gh

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I would never draft on a public highway, but) Wouldn't an aerodynamic vehicle be the least effective to draft, if you want air moving the same way you are? My mileage is up WAY behind semis.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Prius has a large "hole in the air" behind it. Without making a vehicle ridiculously long you can't avoid it and just about all cars have it. The Prius has a low "Cd" but that doesn't mean it doesn't push air. "Cd" is just a rating "decreasing" drag compared to a "bluff" structure of the height and width of the vehicle you are measuring. So a Prius has 0.28 (as I recall) the drag of a block the height and width of the car. You may correct my recollection of the Cd of the Prius if you like.

Looks like a Leaf commercial. Or made by a Leaf enthusiast. It was marginally funny.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I found it poorly done and not funny at all. Jimbo is absolutely right, a prius would be the last vehicle to draft, and volt owners would be unlikely to draft or crash into a lead vehicle. I do find some people following me, thinking they will get better mileage if they go prius speed. Owners of any of the fuel efficient vehicles are not likely to crash tailgating.

I doubt nissan or toyota had anything to do with this. It was likely a prius or leaf fanboi that made it.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct - tailgating a Prius is not going to save as much gas....besides it's usually a leadfoot doing it. ;)

I did not like the video as it perpetuates the myth that most hypermilers are into drafting....at CleanMPG he have a statement about this on the front page, but hell - some badly want everybody to believe this lie.

For every person that may be OCD about better fuel economy - there are at least 1000 gearheads.