1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypermiling Beginnings (Story Time)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by markabele, Sep 22, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Would love to hear everyone's stories of how they first got into hypermiling and the Prius as well.

I'll go first:

I'm a technology guy and long before I've ever owned one I've always been impressed with the Prius. Every time we would pull up behind one or see one on the road I would always tell my wife how jealous I was of them. Of course this whole time I was pretty clueless to hypermiling and my driving of our other vehicles reflected this.
    Early in 2012 I really started to up my game with reading and researching the Prius. I'm pretty sure I even might have ran across PC here before I was a member. Then the time came for us to take a long road trip from Nebraska to North Carolina. Somewhere I had ran across the fact that some dealers rent Toyota's and even Prii. With our aging road trip vehicle I was leaning toward renting anyway and learning I could rent a Prius just pushed me over the edge.
    So off we went in our newly rented Prius. I still had no clue about P&G or really any other hypermiling techniques but through trial and error I was able to average upper 50's to low 60's for much of the trip. When we got home I honestly thought this might have been a fluke. So after much more research and really getting into PC a lot more I ran across things like Bob's video and other great threads on how to drive it.
    Needless to say it didn't take me long to realize I had to have one and the rest is history. :)

F8L likes this.
  2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was hypermiling with my Camry. 2002 4 cyl with manual, EPA rated 21/30. My best tank was 38MPG. Did a lot of coasting to a stop in neutral, and shutting the engine off at traffic lights.

I had been eying a Prius since the GenII came out. When an uninsured driver totaled my Camry on Jun 12, 2012, that was my excuse to pick up a Prius. Four days later, on Jun 16, 2012, I had a brand new Prius Five in my garage. I went for the LED headlights, but fell in love with the AT package.