1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypermilling in a conventional car?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by des101, Jul 18, 2007.

1. des101

des101 New Member

I read about hypermilling and it seems like something I would like to try, minus things like
    tailgating a semi and other dangerous tricks. YIKES! I went on a trip with someone who did this.
    BTW, Mythbusters proved that this works with the caviot that it is thoroughly dangerous and crazy.

Anyway, any thoughts on conventional car hypermilling?
    I have a Toyota Corolla 1996 with almost 100,000 miles and am thinking of buying a Prius
    or other hybrid (leaning towards the Prius). I get about 33 miles per gallon and keep track of my
    mileage. I am a careful driver and don't tend to speed. But I would like to try a few other things.
    I am keeping my AC on in July, Aug and part of Sept though-- this is the desert Southwest.)

Things I thought of trying are the following:
    watch my tire pressure; parking so I can get out without backing up if possible; slow acceleration
    and pick up; watching mph; etc. These all seem pretty safe and tame but I have read of safety
    concerns for hypermilling. I can't figure out that unless they think you will tailgate a semi!!

BTW, for those of you who feel picked on in a Prius, it might be because you are going the speed
    limit. This is highly irritating to other drivers!! I know, because I get honked at for this. Another
    offense is slowing down before you get to a stop light. They will honk at this as well.

Destined to be honked at....

--des

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Des, welcome to PriusChat and -- potentially -- to Prius-dom!

There are many ways to squeeze maximum fuel economy out of any car. Check out CleanMPG for examples and lots of advice, including some specific to your car if you ask.

Certainly some techniques are potentially dangerous. But most are reasonable and doable. Your list is a good start.

It's not exactly a fair comparison with the model year difference, but I've gotten 46 MPG on my fiancee's Corolla, as described here. But then I've gotten 78.3 on a recent tank in my Prius. Without close-in drafting. :)

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An aerodynamic modification posted at www.gassavers.org, 78 mpg Civic...

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

5. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a 1993 Corolla and got 33. I too drive conservatively and do the speed limit. I drive the same with my Prius and now get 50 :D . I am in the North East with hills and still get this mileage. I think you'll love the Prius. It has more power than the Corolla (which I thought had plenty for my purposes) and gets a lot better mileage. I also think it is fun to drive and I now love sitting in traffic in my daily commute as I see the display read 99.9 mpg while everyone else is idling! :D

6. des101

des101 New Member

Haha! Didn't think about jumping into the driver's seat of a Prius! I guess that would be, er, risky behavior, right up there with tailgating a semi.

I just started hypermiling. Hehe! I can definitely see how it would affect your mileage of any car (well Hummers, etc excepted I guess).

I'm going to check out if I can afford it after I'm back from my little trip. Go to the credit union that sort of thing.

I might get a used Prius, does that count?
    I have never had a new car and don't know if I could handle the culture shock of it.

Also do you have to keep a Prius clean inside. I drive the garbage skow. (Thinking of sending my picture in to cartalk.com as worst interior but they aren't offering any shameless promotions for same.)

--des

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Jul 18 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]480799[/snapback]</div>

7. des101

des101 New Member

Did I mention I don't think I'll be doing this little aerodynamic mod. anytime soon. :)

--des

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jul 18 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]480809[/snapback]</div>