1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypothetical question - Engine won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Alan Claver, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After having my Prius 2013 for a couple of weeks I started thinking - what would happen if I'm in EV mode and need to accelerate (through an intersection for example) but the engine doesn't start?

Is there a failsafe mode where the car would keep accelerating on battery past the normal speed that would cause the engine to start up? Or would you die in the middle of the intersection?

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your engine's least likely to start first thing in the morning. If you're underway and warmed up, a starting failure is really unlikely.
    Also, the car will continue to accelerate thru intersection speed levels even if the engine hasn't successfully started. It's not going to suddenly throw out an anchor.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you romp on the accelerator the car will bypass warmup and fire the Ice to meet the power demand.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When I ran out of gas in my Gen 2 Prius, I had a top speed of 35 MPH for about a half mile. Then I realized I was out of gas!

In the unlikely event that the Nuns at the Abbey have stolen your spark plugs, you should be able to do the same.

From the synopsis to Sound of Music

Nora and WE0H like this.
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you crazy? The nuns didn't have tool. They just removed ignition wires. Sheesh!

Nora likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree.

The Prius is designed to be efficient, both in fuel economy but also emissions. So first thing in the morning or after the vehicle is cooled down, is actually when it is designed to run the engine the most. It's going to fire the engine up ASAP to try to reach operating temperatures that then allow it to be efficient in it's tail pipe emissions.

Sure when I first hit power in the morning sometimes the engine does not come immediately on, but usually with just a few feet of driving it kicks on....and then runs relatively aggressively until it's warmed up.

As far as the OP's hypothetical situation?

Well he's asking about a behavior or situation The Prius is not designed to have happen.

I think you'd have to ask a Prius engineer or software engineer whether the Prius had that particular safeguard built into it's operating behavior.

People who have run out of gas, have reported being able to limp X amount of distance on battery power alone, but that's a different situation than the ICE not starting for some unknown reason.

My guess is "IF" somehow that situation were to happen, you'd probably get a code and the vehicle would go into limp mode. The hypothetical as presented is a "Problem" scenario, The vehicle would probably recognize that something is wrong....whether it specifically would react by allowing continued movement on battery power alone? Well...I honestly don't know. Might depend entirely on why the ICE wasn't starting.

Wow...a "Sound Of Music" reference...and kind of an obscure one at that.....

I'm kind of separating "Running Out Of Gas" from the OP's ....the ICE doesn't start.

Yes, the ICE won't start if you run out of gas...but running out of gas is an operator error or mistake. The scenario as the OP presents is that for some "unknown" reason the ICE simply does not start....

In which case I admit, I really don't know what The Prius might do....

Even in EV mode....if enough torque or acceleration demand is made, The Prius is designed to have the engine fire up and be ready.

The hypothetical as presented by the OP is a behavior The Prius is not designed to exhibit.

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was a Nazi in the local theater's production of Sound of Music, my wife was a Nun.

The OP was trying to make the engine not work, it sprang to mind.

[​IMG]

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Did you stay in costume and both go out afterwards?

I'd of been so tempted to see what type of scene I could of created.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is why i avoid intersections at all costs. now, i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.:eek:

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which of the Nazis is you?

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am the Admiral in front.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we just visited the holocaust memorial in boston yesterday. very moving and something that should not be forgotten. reall makes worrying about the ice firing kind of insignificant.