1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypothetical question - What would a sports exhaust sound like on Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by alanclarkeau, Nov 17, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a new VW GOLF Diesel DSG around the corner from me, drives past at least a dozen annoying times a day - he has a "SPORTS EXHAUST" - which sounds awful. It's sort of like I would imagine a bass bagpipe would sound playing the same note, but changing gear from time to time. Or like an ill Bassoon. Blowing raspberries like.

Whenever I hear it, it has me thinking - has anybody ever put a "SPORTS EXHAUST" on a PRIUS, and what would it sound like.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are Prius with Fart Pipes. It is not a pleasant sound, and does nothing good for performance or mileage.

Both Otto and Diesel engines have identical compression and expansion ratios. Once the fuel has burned, it occupies more space than it did, so the gases are still expanding in the exhaust system. The Atkinson Cycle has a compression ratio about 2/3 of the expansion ratio so more of that expansion occurs in the cylinder (yielding better efficiency) and minimizing gains that can be found in aftermarket exhaust mods.

#2 JimboPalmer, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it may be just as annoying because the CVT would just hold the rev (unless you lift off and reapply to fake a shift lol).

Also, this is what I found. The sound from the exhaust is actually not that bad. Could be a bit throatier. The diameter of the pipes sound a bit small. (But I guess there won't be enough airflow for a larger diameter pipe to generate the nice reverb)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I wondered about how the Atkinson Cycle would dull the sound - still, I think it's nicer than the VW Diesel raspy farting sound I hear often. No, I'm unlikely to do it - at least while it's under warranty.

The stop-start could be interesting - mine will go on EV for maybe ½km, then burst into Atkinson Cycle life, then back to EV. Silent at traffic lights, but if you plant the foot, back to Atkinson Cycle at reasonably high (for a PRIUS) revs.

RCO and Silent Propulsion like this.
  5. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan, no need for hypothetical scenarios. It's been done!

I personally love Blitz Nur Spec (especially on Supras) - imho, this Gen 4 sounds incredible.

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lovely, thanks. I'd be interested to hear it do a drive-by recording, I've heard mufflers sound just OK in the shop, but really great in ordinary driving - and vice-versa. But even static it's much better than the VW diesel cruising my street.

RCO likes this.
  7. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That Blitz also sounds turbocharged.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess it would be "cool" if I was 25 again. But at my age now, I sure don't need any more noise in my Prius. The cabin is bad enough as it is.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TRUE - I'm not 25 either. The question started when I kept hearing the pathetic VW Diesel sound - and kept thinking "I wonder what a PRIUS would sound like - what with the combination of sometimes EV, an eCVT, and an Atkinson Cycle engine".

BUT - now thinking in the future, there is a generation coming who, in days past would have probably craved, lusted for and maybe bought a V8 (or V10/12/16) with a sports exhaust. But, someday soon that won't be happening, the V8's days are numbered I suspect, replaced soon by an intermediate period of small turbo-petrol/gasoline engines which can be made to sound sporty, and maybe Hybrids. WHAT WILL THEY DO, though, when there is nothing other than 2030 Leafs, Teslas, PRIME MK7 EVs etc. How will they make an EV sound sporty?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  10. Thomas Grubb

Thomas Grubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is what I sound like having fallen asleep after too much red wine...or so my wife says!

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But the white Prius in raspy's video sure looks nice. I wouldn't mind having the exhaust pipes, but without the noise. :) I sound like the typical Old Dude now, but when I was a young guy I put a custom exhaust on all my motorcycles, and my Volkswagon, and a Honda. It was fun, back then, and my ears are still "ringing" to this day...,:LOL:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do what they currently do in some Renaults and BMWs - synthetic sound effects. (Others simply just pipe the sound into the cabin when needed. They're only on sports cars)

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Steve McQueen solves this for us.
    Le Mans

Bullitt

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Royal playing card, really? We Brits used a discarded cigarette packet when i was a lad.

alanclarkeau likes this.