1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ed Vatza, May 1, 2006.

1. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

I am assuming that most of us are here because we own a Prius, are waiting for delivery of a Prius, want a Prius or are considering a Prius. We have our Prius and I'm loving it. But I got to thinking on my lunchtime walk today. I know thinking can be dangerous! Anyway, I started to think about what I would do if I was to buy another car. (Hey somebody has got to win the Lottery!).

I know I would buy another Hybrid. That much is for certain. And I know I would not buy a hybrid SUV or truck. That leaves another Prius, the Hybrid Camry, Honda Civic, Honda Insight. I'm sure I probably forgot something but you get my point.

As much as I love the Prius, the "collector" in my started saying look for something different. By the time I completed my three mile walk, I had convinced myself that if I were to get another hybrid I would lean toward the Insight. That's based on nothing concrete. I never even considered the Insight when we bought the Prius. Its just because its different. Again, I LOVE my Prius.

So I'm curious - what would you do if you were in the market for another hybrid? Become a two Prius family or think about something else?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we were, and we did buy another hybrid. We got the Highlander Hybrid. We needed something to haul stuff with that had 4WD for our annual ski trip and for the times we have to get to work in bad weather. We also wanted something to haul our canoe, that could tow and that would be good for camping and fishing trips. There were few other choices for us.

Given unlimited resources....I might consider an Insight as my daily commuter vehicle. The only problem there is that though I'm often the only one in the car one way to/from work, the other half of the daily commute I might have to stop and pick up my 3 kiddos...the Insight just won't cut it.

Also, I have days where the SO tells me I need to stop at Sam's Club and get the bulk paper towels, toilet paper, a bag of dog food, and a various other sundries. That just won't happen (the spontaneous purchasing/hauling) with the Insight. I do like the idea of the great gas mileage though!

I'd also consider the LS450h...a roomier, sportier, more powerful luxury car...though I honestly don't think I'd want to drive it all that often.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i finally ran into the guy in my parking lot who drives the rx400h... he said he was trading for the gs450h- first on the list at the dealer- and he would never buy another non-hybrid again :)

DH wants a HiHy for himself... used... but it'll be a while before we can afford something like that.

4. j24816

j24816 New Member

So I'm curious - what would you do if you were in the market for another hybrid? Become a two Prius family or think about something else?
    [/quote]

It would be a hybrid minivan, when they come out. The Prius is the around town car, we would need something larger for family of four going camping, vacations, hauling 'stuff', etc.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you need something big for your second car that would dictate which class you look at. But if your second car is your long-distance commuter and you seldom need to have more than one passenger, the Insight is the obvious choice.

I want a tzero. But I don't want it badly enough to pay $200,000.

6. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Given what is available TODAY, I'd probably go for the Insight, as well.
    I spend most of my work commute alone in the car, so it would be neat to take advantage of the even BETTER gas mileage. But I can't recall if they offer this one with an Automatic tranny or not now.... that might hinder me. I do a LOT of city driving, and a stick shift gets REAL OLD, REAL FAST.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the insight simply has too many drawbacks for what i perceive as not much gain in mileage. not having a long freeway commute also makes the insight less attractive for me. besides it being only slightly cheaper than a Prius, they would be EXTREMELY hard to get. i read somewhere that last year, less than 500 were sold. are they still available?

besides, i feel that a 70-80 mph sub compact hybrid is just around the corner and i would consider a small car for a %50 increase in mileage for sure

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 2 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]248566[/snapback]</div>
    I drove an Integra 5-speed through the gridlock of Toronto for the last 5 years, and I can honestly say that the manual transmission was never an issue (i.e. annoyance) for me.

Granted, that car has a slick transmission that shifts effortlessly. If it were a Hyundai accent, I would probably be singing a different tune. :lol: However, this is ultimately a personal decision. To each their own.

I sadly bid farely to my trusty Integra last week and a said hello to my CVT Prius. I do miss the sporty air of the manual transmission and overall Integra performance, but I am moving into a different stage of life now where this is a more practical vehicle for many reasons. B)

Kevin

9. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 2 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]248566[/snapback]</div>
    The Honda Insight is available with a manual transmission as well as with CVT. However, the manual transmission version has relatively dirty emissions and so does not qualify for any 2006 Federal income tax credit at all. The CVT version qualifies for a tax credit of $1,450. That's an estimate by Honda; I don't know if the IRS has formally agreed to it yet. Compare that with the Prius's tax credit of $3,150.

Cruise control is not available on the Insight. Air conditioning is "available". I suspect that means the mpg estimates were done on a vehicle on which air conditioning was not installed.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Insight is an ugly car. Something about those rear wheel covers reminds me of a woman wearing a mid-calf length skirt. :huh:

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wish list? Hybrid Tundra P/k

Reality? Honda Insight its the true mileage maker.

I already have the 04 prius w/42k .

The better half is still undecided on another prius or camry in 08 or something else in a toyota hybrid. she will not own anything other than toyota since she got her prius..... :)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If money no object, probably an RX400h. Only because our HiHy has no navigation option so no Energy Monitor/Consumption Screen.