1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai and Kia Introduces ‘Active Air Skirt’ to Help EVs Go Further

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Trollbait, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Posting here cause the tech itself is drive train neutral, and can improve the aerodynamics on any car. It's like active grill shutters. At higher speeds, air dams drop down to divert air flow around the front wheels. Many cars already have such; IIRC, we called them spats in the gen2 days. These are bigger. I don't think they actually hurt things enough at low speeds to matter. In that case, the active part is likely to allow them in an ideal spot while not being in the way for parking and steep entry ways.

Hyundai and Kia Introduces ‘Active Air Skirt’ to Help EVs Go Further | CleanMPG

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another item Hyundai/KIA do on their cars that is rarely noticed or mentioned- is installed undercarriage vehicle shields.

Am familiar with the way most manufacturers do their vehicles but until I bought my first KIA and then Hyundai I wasn't aware of how thoroughly they enclose all parts of the undercarriage.

A tremendous amount of effort to improve aerodynamics go into these vehicles.

This also is doing wonders to prevent corrosion and filth on our vehicles undercarriage..

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Their belly pans are why this air dam isn't extended across the entire width of the car.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn’t this similiar to what GM did with the Volt? (And the Tahoe Hybrid??

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just found out Rams have active air dams.

The difference here is likely in these just being 'spats' that only block the wheels. The EVs have a flat belly, so don't need a dam covering the entire width of the car. Maybe they also drop lower relative to car ground clearance.

Tideland Prius likes this.