1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai & Apple Team Up for New Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Reuters news article here.

Brief details: Car may be shown in beta form next year, production of up to 100k units to be available for model year 2024.

Zythryn and John321 like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First off, I wish them well but there are significant challenges. It isn't clear what engineering Apple brings to the party.

Bob Wilson

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Its Bluetooth feature should be okay. That might be important if it breaks down

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tim Cook is probably kicking himself right now that he didn't buy part of tesla in 2018 (when musk and he talked).

Apple is really good at consumer design, human interfaces, and battery research. I think we should welcome them to the party. Kia is good at building the rest of the car. 2024 is plenty of time to get factories for battery production built, and for kia to get a vehicle in production (assuming most of the design work is done.

The challenge is that Tesla is already there which means they need to do it better or different, this is about expansion of the market. With all the money in battery production others may be ahead of apple here. Everyone is working on self driving, the more the better, hopefully we will get something safe in the next decade. I'm impressed with the computer upgrade my tesla now is perfect at identifying lights and stop signs, but I don't trust it driving on its own on most of my city streets (its really good on the highway, but snow Sunday blocked sensors and it told me to take over). Honda and GM are now working together. I see 2030 as the time for mass adoption of plug-ins.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wonder how joining the likes of Mercedes or Apple onto Tesla, would affect Tesla stock.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I see this one with a lot of interest in a few directions.

Doing a deal with Hyundai is doing a deal with Korea.

That is of major significance when there are a bunch of well-funded automakers from China looking to deal into the US market.

The way I read the tea leaves, Apple was attracted to the established manufacturing base Hyundai has in Georgia as well as their experience at consistently building high quality cars. They want to be up to speed by 2030.

The tie-up honestly strikes me as a good natural fit.

John321 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2030? that's a great way to make unfulfilled promises. who'll remember?

8. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #8 John321, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Barron's had an article with opinions from analysts which talked about a 10 year timeframe for this really to make a big impact. Demo car should be out next year. They are expecting production capability of 100,000 in 2024. They thought the self driving would likely be in a $80,000 model mainly tested in taxi and similar fleets. I have seff driving cars going around my neighborhood with safety drivers.

This is apple which means 100,000 in 2024 compared to around 500,000 tesla's in 2020 is not going to really affect the company. They have a huge war chest of cash ($191B) and very talented engineers. Apples stock moved not at all on the news. 2024 is what apple hopes is like 2007 for the iphone. I got mine in 2008, and people asked why I spent so much on a phone. By 2012 people were asking why people didn't have an iphone. I'm hoping they are successful and we have robust self driving in 2030 but it may take much longer. Hyundai's stock shot up on the hope. They have a much smaller market cap, and bevs and self driving are important to their profitability.

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Quality like the rod bearings recall and the SUV electrical park outside issue?

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Relative to the fleet size produced thus far? Yes, they're kicking butt.

austingreen likes this.