1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai releases US pricing for the all-new Genesis

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, May 30, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai's new flagship car, the Genesis, will start at $33,000 in the United States. The American base model comes with a 290-hp 3.8-liter V6 and a 6-speed automatic transmission, not to mention 17-inch wheels, side and side-curtain airbags, automatic climate control and leather seats.

Meanwhile, the 378-hp model with 4.6L V8 engine will retail for $38,000 US. Adding to the comprehensive list of standard features are 18-inch alloys, a power glass sunroof, premium audio with 15 speakers and a 6-CD changer as well as a power rear sunshade.

Canadian prices have yet to be announced.

Source: Auto123.com

2. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I test drove the Genesis recently, it's quite an interesting beast!
    Overall I think it's an excellent value, and I'd probably choose it over a Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES as it's larger and less expensive. It definitely competes with the Mercedes E-Class and Lexus GS (as they claim) in terms of size and comfort, but it certainly doesn't in terms of status or build quality, and certainly not handling.

Things I liked:
    * It's beautiful inside and out, and somewhat unique
    * The seats are very very comfortable, though the lumbar support sticks out a bit much
    * Interior room is great, the front seats and trunk are roomier than my Mercedes W140 S-Class. The rear seat is slightly smaller, but still very luxurious
    * Lots of toys! If it's true that its Lexicon sound system is the same as in the RR Phantom, that is very impressive indeed, as one must often pay through the roof for a good factory stereo.
    * Nimble, effortless handling, though steering lacks feedback in a major way
    * Smooth, Quiet, all that
    * One thing I found interesting is that the steering wheel is very small, about the size of the Prius's. I haven't driven that many cars so I don't know what the norm is for steering wheel size, but it's an interesting comparison to the ship's wheel on the Mercedes, which is about the same size a car. I kind of like it. Does anyone know how the wheel size is usually determined? My best guess is that it has to do with the weight of the steering, as a heavier steering system might warrant a bigger wheel?
    * Very cost-effective, though a somewhat impractical class of car (though the impracticality is part of the status symbol). I bet it will make a good used car for grandma though, as Hyundais often depreciate pretty fast in the first few years.

Things I didn't like:
    * It's a Hyundai. Though they have been getting good reviews lately, I doubt it will age as gracefully as a Toyota or Honda.
    * RWD is impractical in many places, it's a shame they didn't make it FWD or AWD. People who buy GSes, LSes, and E-Classes usually can afford enough cars to make it through the winter, but since Hyundai is marketing towards a more value-conscious crowd, I think it would have been smart to skip RWD.
    * Steering is COMPLETELY dead. This lack of feedback prevents it from being a driver's car. I took it through some very tight turns and it took them very well, but I'd be scared to drive it on a wet road.
    * Though the ride is for the most part smooth and refined, bigger holes come through like kicks in the nice person and produce some not-nice noises as well.
    * The Genesis, Veracruz, and XG all have huge lumbar supports which I find uncomfortable
    * Interior feels cheap, you can tell where they've cut corners

It's not perfect, but it's not a dog either. It's definitely not built like a tank the way the E-class and GS are, nor is it meant to be. Rather it provides a happy medium between luxury, bling, economy, and practicality.

3. greenhumanjames

greenhumanjames New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    its a super nice looking car for a hyundai. they did a good job.