1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Question

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Electric Me, Sep 26, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read an article about The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Sorry no link...I'm too lazy...

What I find interesting is Hyundai was stating that they designed the Sonata Hybrid for better gas mileage Highway as opposed to City. They proclaim they feel this is more representative of the average American driver.

Just wondering if you agree.

I don't know if I do. One thing I like about HSD and Prius specifically is it's possible advantage in MPG city. From my POV with traffic jams and congestion, stop and go "city" driving is becoming more and more prevalent...whether you want it or not.

As more and more hybrids become available, I still think it interesting that nobody has really come close, or is even threatening to come close to the MPG of The Prius or the gas mileage attributes of The Prius.

You'd think competitors would look at Prius success and at least attempt.

I mean if you look at Prius success for over a decade shouldn't you conclude that Toyota has done something fundamentally right? And yet I keep seeing Honda, and now Hyundai "tweaking" the formula. IMO Prius STILL has no direct competion.

I think eventually it will come. But for now it seems the new products need some "different" angle...and I still await a real even playing field competitor to Prius.

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My decision to purchase the Prius over other current Hybrids was the better city mileage (among other things, but it was a major contributor). My daily commute is all city driving, I'm rarely on a highway with it, so 51 mpg city was a major selling point to me...

3. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Probably why there are more than a few 2 Prius families!

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Considering the average mileage per year (according to most places) is about 12k for the American driver, I would say they *MIGHT* be onto something. That said, it's very difficult to rack up 12k miles with just city driving, barring certain professions (taxi, delivery, etc). It could very well be that they are playing it as a psychological thing for the American driver, in that every non-hybrid posts better highway FE from the EPA than city FE. Considering the mis-information that the Prius is slow and can't handle highway speeds (I know, we here all know better), maybe the psychological effect of the higher highway FE is pushing that change.

I'm just throwing ideas out. If it weren't for the highway trips I make, I would only average about 120 miles a week. It would be about half that if I wasn't able to go home for lunch everyday I work. However, I managed, somehow, to end up with about 11-12k miles on the car around the 1 year mark.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's called a red herring.

HSD doesn't make you choose. Both city & highway deliver great improvement.

Heck, even the new 280hp Highlander Hybrid with 7-passenger seating and 3,500-pound towing capacity will get 28/28 MPG.

6. dafinn

dafinn Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And have you noticed in GM's advertising that some of their smaller suv's/crossovers claim to get better highway fuel economy than Ford Escape Hybrid? They sure don't mention how their city economy compares with the Escape Hybrid economy! Yet, as many of us realize we do at least as much driving in town or even more than driving the highways, so city MPG plays a huge part in the overall MPG we look for.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...it's not a red herring because I'm not asking anyone to consider that HSD gives you both great city and highway...because I admit it does.

My point it that Hyundai is promoting their vehicle as purposely designed to get better highway mileage than city...supposedly a choice that hyundai made...

I agree that HSD is superior. I think I disagree with Hyundai's premise.

I know we are dealing with patents, and a complicated system. But I still await a competitive hybrid...maybe Honda's Insight is the closest..that rivals Prius.

I just think competition is good. Good for creativity, product and ultimately for us as consumers.

8. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds to me that Hyundai is incorporating the same type of hybrid system as Honda. All the Honda hybrids get better highway mileage than city. I know Ford incorporates the 1st Generation Toyota HSD System, which explains why the Ford hybrids get better city mileage than highway...

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm happy to see Hyundai introduce a hybrid, especially with lithium batteries. Competition is good, innovation is good

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Keep in mind the combined fuel economy number. 55% highway and 45% city is the default mix used for calculating it. It could be said Hyundai may be focusing on highway to pull up the combined number, but doesn't explain why the EPA uses that mix on their site. I don't think they grab the number out of the air. It is possible that the reasons for that are dated, but it is close to what my commute is.

11. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it's 55% city, 45% highway.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Knew I should have double check that.

13. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife has a 2000 Hyundai XG350L which she's loved from Day 1, but recognizes that its days are numbered. We're anxiously awaiting the Sonata Hybrid as a possible replacement, but it looks like we'll be anxious for a while yet. She has a 20-mile drive to work, 18 of which are on the Interstate, and in general drives on the highway a lot, so it'll be a good match for her. Finally, she simply doesn't like to drive the Prius -- feels vulnerable in a small, light car, and the ICE turning off drives her nuts. We're also thinking the Sonata might be a roomier and more comfortable car than the Prius for long trips, at least until someone comes up with a Recaro seat for the Prius...

In any event, it might be time for a Hyundai "Other Car" sub-forum of its own.

14. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha. people don't really drive like the epa city or highway tests. I know I don't get close to the epa city in my prius because I'm only traveling a few miles and the epa seems like they are going all day.

Hyundai did get their hybrid to beat the TCH and hs250's city mileage. It just was behind the ffh city, and wants to say its better than all it's competitors (they obviously aren't comparing to the prius, that will be a different car).

I don't think we will really know real world mileage until it is out in the world. I'm sure some hyper milers will get 60mpg, but then they would get more in the prius.

One thing I liked is the aero grill blocking

Car Review: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Tops the Field - Gearlog

16. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like they took a lesson from the aircraft industry - several planes of the WW II era had similar cooling features. The P-51 even gained thrust from the radiator arrangement in the scoop, but Hyundai apparently didn't get that fancy.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe the trucking industry has been making use of the radiator flaps for years. BMW's eco trims might also have them.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they said that I don't believe them. The Prius doesn't get worse highway than city because of trade-offs to benefit city but rather because of how great city is, highway has a drag limitation that city doesn't.

The Sonata cannot come close to matching the Prius in city because Toyota's hybrid tech is best of breed.

BTW we're on track for 20k or maybe 22k in first year of ownership and a good 1/2-2/3rd of that is city.
    On Ice road truckers they just hook a piece of fabric in place to keep the engine bay warmer. An auto flap seems a lot smarter :)

Car looks good. Overall the new Sonata is a big win.