1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hyundai Triples Canadian Kona EV Supply to Meet Demand

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai Triples Canadian Kona EV Supply to Meet Demand | autoTRADER.ca

mr88cet, hill, John321 and 2 others like this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice car. In US this vehicle is eligible for a $7,500 Federal incentive with some Carb states putting up another $2500 in State incentives.
    Add to that there are still 2020 models left on lots with Hyundai incentives - an enterprising individual who had his heart set on a BEV can really work up a great deal at this time! The starting model price here in US is around $37,000, it doesn't take a hard look to see the possibilities of a great car at a great price.

2021 Hyundai Kona Electric Review, Pricing, and Specs

#2 John321, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It starts at $44,999 in Canada with the Limited trim topping $51k. $5,000 federal incentive (point of sale) and up to $8,000 in Quebec ($3,000 in BC) point of sale incentives.

John321 likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hyundai's lifetime warranty on the battery pack makes this option interesting for many... Of course if you use your car as door dash or Lyft or Uber you void the warranty, or at least that's what my friend who bought one said.

John321 likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hyundai also provides a 10 year warranty on its products and free maintenance for the first 3 years. Map and Navigation updates are provide free on their website for owners

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yet another example of Toyota slowly losing its competitive edge...

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the FED incentive comes in the form of a tax credit. If you don't owe at least $7,500 tax when you file? You don't get anything. That amount doesn't carry over except for businesses, one extra year to use up any balance of the $7500 nit used in prior yr. Also, if you fall within the feds alt minimum tax? You can't use the $7500 credit at all. All that to say - " you MAY be eligible" . ymmv

8. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hyundai and Kia both will sometimes negotiate the $7500 off the price of the car if you lease or finance it. This depends many times on the negotiator and how adept they are with all the available financing options.

It pays to see what incentives and possibilities are available rather than just assume you can't access this.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credits: What You Need to Know | Edmunds

"If you are leasing the EV, the tax credit goes to the manufacturer that's offering the lease, not you. The carmaker will likely factor the credit into the cost of the lease to lower your monthly payment, but it isn't mandatory."

#8 John321, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking into trading my 2020 PP to a BEV. Kona EV was one option suggested. I really want to test drive it, but it is not available at my local Hyundai dealer. At least in my region, the availability seems to be very limited. The only in-stock models I could find are the Limited or Ultimate at further away dealer. Hyundai is currently offering only $1000 cashback, making the final price well over $30K even after a full fed tax credit. I am leaning toward Nissan Leaf with a $7000 cashback offer, making it possible to swap my 2020 Prius Prime to a brand new Leaf SV with All-weather pkg and Technology pkg options at a little profit in my pocket after the full tax credit.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess with such a large country, it is hard to organise test drives in every city.

I'm fortunate that in my hometown, the auto show hosts a green car test drive every year (And Toyota hosts their own separate test drive for all their hybrids, even the Mirai). The Model 3 is the only vehicle I haven't tried (and of course the test drive list is long and is fully booked every year) but I have driven all the others (including the Nexo).

The Kona is pretty good option. It's great for the city because of its small size and the range is good. I thought the interior reminded me of the Gen 2 Prius where most of the money was spent on the drivetrain but the interior was left as is (I mean the gas version does have a low starting price so that's the price point they were targeting). The LEAF has a better interior but, like the Prius, there are parts of it that shares its components with Nissan's cheaper models (Qashqai/Rogue Sport steering wheel) as opposed to the Sentra/Rogue or Altima/Pathfinder. The basic architecture is the same as the 1st Gen LEAF but of course with the latest drivetrain.

The offer is for the LEAF SV, not the Plus, right?

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Current Nissan $7000 cashback is for any Leaf models. I could get about the same price on Leaf S Plus without options or the Leaf SV with Allweather package and Technology package, both have very similar $39K MSRP. After Nissan cashback and state incentives and dealer discount, the OTD price on either would be ~$28K. Subtract $7.5K tax credit, I am left with ~$20K which is just about what I can get on the trade-in of my 2020 PP. I test drove the 2019 Leaf SV model, and I liked it, but the car was not as refined as the 2019 Clarity PHEV I also test drove on the same day. I don't think there are huge changes in the 2020 LEAF models or are there?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not aware of any changes to the 2020.

Salamander_King likes this.