1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai's first hybrid car gets over 1,000 orders

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Jul 2, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Starting Wednesday, Hyundai will start selling the Avante LPI, a hybrid version of its best-selling compact car Avante, which is sold as the Elantra overseas.

Unlike conventional hybrid models such as the Prius of Toyota Motor Corp. and the Insight of Honda Motor Co., the Avante LPI is powered by liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and lithium polymer batteries.

... By the end of this year, Hyundai plans to sell as many as 8,000 Avante LPIs in South Korea, according to company officials. The new car is priced from 20 million won (US$15,800) to 23 million won, about 40 percent cheaper than Honda's Civic hybrid in South Korea.

The Avante LPI runs 17.8 km per liter. While the fuel economy is inferior than that of hybrid models by Toyota and Honda, Lee claimed that the Avante LPI could gain appeal because the LPG price is cheaper.

YONHAP NEWS

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm glad to see another automaker is now offering hybrids, and at $15K, this allows these hybrids to compete directly with non-hybrid mainstream economy cars. Excellent! This may be the beginning o hybrids goin mainstream.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I want to know is, how did Hyundai manage to bring the costs of the hybrid drivetrain down so much? Pretty much everybody agrees the Honda Insight was pretty stripped-down already, but the base-model Insight is still $19500. I wonder where did Hyundai manage to squeeze out another $4500 in cost cuts..?

5. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Hyundai's workers aren't paid as much as Toyota's or Honda's.

Not sure about the LPG even though I have 2 stations within 10 miles, I'm not sure everyone does.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Koreans work cheaper than Japanese.

7. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was under the impression that the hybrid components and the battery pack is what makes a hybrid car more expensive, rather than labor costs.. I don't know, I just have a hard time imagining that $4500 cost cut per car can be achieved through labor cost reductions alone. :confused:

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this "interesting" from the first article: "Hyundai says its engineers did not have to invent the parts required for a hybrid drive system, they only had to improve on them."

Yeh, Great for Hyundai, but given Toyotas careful protection of it's patents isn't this illegal? Not inventing, and just using someone elses patented technology? "improving" is subjective.

9. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting point on the patents... The Prius first came out in 1997, right? Does that mean the Toyota patents for HSD is going to expire in 2012..?

(I cringe at the thought of all the other carmakers and their dog coming out with HSD clones..) :p

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with you that it is mostly parts and much less labor.
    Also, did the rest of you notice this paragraph:
    "The move by Hyundai to sell the LPG-electric hybrid, which is only available for the domestic market, is seen as a strategy to better compete with hybrid models of the Japanese rivals at home, some analysts say. In South Korea, where LPG-powered cars are common, LPG is half the price of gasoline."

First, they haven't spent $$$$$ getting the car to meet U.S. crash test standards and have it approved (I checked Yahoo Autos and there is no evidence that the regular version of the Avante is sold in the U.S.) Also, keep in mind that Hyundai sells the Accent in the U.S. for $9,970 ( 2009 Hyundai Accent | New Hyundai Hatchbacks - Yahoo! Autos ). So, we know that Hyundai is capable of producing a vehicle, sold in the U.S. market, for under $10K. This leaves a margin of $5,800 for the additional components to make it a hybrid. Yes, it is certainly possible to produce a hybrid vehicle for $15K.

11. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still kind of skeptical though.. The Avanti is supposed to be the Elantra here in the U.S., according to that article.. The 2009 Elantra starts at $13,320 according to Edmonds: Hyundai Elantra - Edmunds.com

I have a hard time believing that the hybrid components and battery pack would only add $1,680 to the cost.. :confused:

Are Korean Domestic Market cars really that much more stripped-down in terms of safety equipment..?

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if part of the cost cutting is the LPG system which can meet emission control requirements with less stringent controls. Also different markets have different pricing. You Americans were able to buy the SS Commodore with Pontiac badges for less than Aussies could and that was after it travelled half the globe!

An LPG only hybrid will do well in Australia I expect. LPG is readily available almost everywhere in Australia.

If released here Hyundai could cut into the Prius market.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Photos from the Detroit Auto show, January 2009:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near as I could tell, there is just one motor because I saw only a single set of HV cables but there was not a whole lot of details. If there is one motor with an engine-side and transmission-side clutch, it could be a strong hybrid ... one capable of EV mode.

Remember, Toyota sold the first Prius 1997-2000 in Japan only. This led to a number of significant improvements in the NHW11, which was the first version sold in export, thankfully to the USA. So I wouldn't be too anxious to get a first generation, Hyundai hybrid but the second generation in about 3 years should be a serious contender.

Bob Wilson

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where was that Bob? I seem to have missed it.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What sort of electric drivetrain is being discussed here ? How much is hte fuel economy improved over a straight LPG car without the hybrid components ?

As for the price -- who knows how much Hyundai is subsidizing the car. It's only 1000 cars for now. When the company decides to make 100k+ cars annualy I'll believe the sales price mirrors manufacturing costs.

16. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because of different testing methodology, 17.8 km per liter may not translate into the same fuel economy by U.S. testing standards. Plus, the article says the Avante gets lower fuel economy than its competitors. The Honda Civic & Insight and Toyota Prius gets 40-50 miles per gallon, I guess the Avante would get less than 40 MPG. This could explain why their hybrid system / car is less expensive. GM's hybrid system for the Malibu, Aura, and Vue was also inexpensive but did not really boost fuel economy very much.

Just some speculation on my part, I'm not basing this on any hard facts. I'm sure more information will float down from the web soon.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be popular with taxi companies. They do run LPG in Asia (as opposed to Natural Gas taxis here in NA).

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "We're going after Prius and the Volt with the plug-in," he said.

The Blue-Will combines a 1.6 L gas engine with a 100 kw electric motor powered by lithium-ion batteries that will be supplied by LG Chem. LG Chem is also supplying the Chevy Volt's batteries.

The plug-in parallel hybrid will travel up to 38 miles electric-only and will get between 50 and 55 MPG in gas-electric mode.

"We want to be the leader in fuel economy and alternative fuels," said Yang . "We want to show our technology and improve our image, not necessarily make money on hybrids.

The vehicle will appear under the Hyundai brand in the US in late 2012. Planned production volumes are unknown.

Hyundai Planning Plug-in Hybrid Sports Car for 2012 - AllCarsElectric.com

19. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More details on the Hyundai Blue Drive system: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Blue Drive: New Tech Details on Hyundai's First Hybrid - Popular Mechanics

It seems to me that Hyundai hybrid system is closer to Honda's IMA.. 40HP disk motor sandwiched between the engine and 6-speed transmission, but it goes one step further because the system uses a clutch to select electric-only, gas-only or both, so the 40hp disk motor can actually move the car on its own.

I guess that makes this system's complexity somewhere between GM's 2 mode and Honda's IMA. :juggle:

We know these complex systems are expensive, which is why I am VERY skeptical that Hyundai can sell such a hybrid for $15,000 or less.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In many respects, their system sounds like the old idea of putting an electric motor on the rear wheels and using a gas engine on the front ... a do-it yourself hybrid. There are some interesting aspects but just having a motor and gas engine is not enough. The integrated, control electronics is where a lot of the magic happens.

Bob Wilson