1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I’m in Love, With Our New 12V Battery!

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by jzchen, Oct 12, 2018.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Got our 46B24R LiFePO4 battery delivered by FedEx today. I didn’t know it was arriving and had closed the gate. The driver dropped the package over the gate. It’s a short, maybe 3 ft tall gate, but still. Luckily no damage it seems!

150.9 oz my scale says, which is 9.431 lbs! Picture will not upload, sadly. Has the correct size (tiny) posts and what look like copper rings to put on them to make the BCI standard post sizes, if needed. Also has a built in Voltage meter and backup function. If you drain the main battery, press a button, which doubles as the V meter, and the backup battery is engaged to start the car. No wait for AAA needed!

Didn’t get a chance to install it today, but hopefully over the weekend!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you give us a link to the model and supplier? never heard of anything like it before. thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was so excited I was on an iPad when I posted, which isn't easy for me to post a link, and for some reason on i devices pics are so large I probably used up my quota.

New 46B24R 12V 46Ah 650CCA Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery LiFePO4 for Automotive | eBay

I believe it could have arrived much faster than it did, but they may have been waiting to see if I decided to buy a Li battery charger also from them. The thing is their listing for a 20 A unit is somewhat fast for this small battery (when I asked about it that's what they said, and they recommended a 10 A unit, which is also $150). Braille makes a 6 A unit which is around $110 at Jegs or FRSport.com so I may buy that instead.

kitty_tron and bisco like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have minimal knowledge of these fancy new 12v batteries. I hope that works out well for you. You have bigger *alls than I do, putting that in your car. After reading that ad, I was reminded of all the jokes about chinese products and their instructions. Many of them have gotten much better over the years, but that one seems a bit old school.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the 36 minutes since posting this thread you could have already changed it.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    True. I just heard an extremely rare thunder outside though! And now I’m hearing rain.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your speaking to someone who used to live in Corona and work LAX...but it is Friday night though...right? ;)

jzchen likes this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like the idea of an onboard emergency battery but I wonder about the extra 0.8v nominal and how that will interact with the Prius charging system. I see it has an integrated battery management system which I would assume prevents overcharging and adds a level of protection around potential fires. The claims for hotter sparks and more efficient engines seem inflated. Are there some reviews or studies that actually backup the claims?

9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    $361 ?!

Toyota is nuts. Why cant they design this car with a regular $80 battery? From Walmart.

#9 Starship16, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    People have been putting Optima spiral/gel cell batteries from in their Prius with positive results. I figured why not try this.

It’s on board voltage meter reads 13.2 V, per installation instructions should check before installation, and it’s considered “normal”. Next step is to verify terminal position in relation to the original battery, and install confirming screws are “fasten tightly”. I’ll use a 1/4 inch torque wrench to Toyota specs. Next test the voltage during vehicle starting. If voltage drops to around 12.5 V during starting this is normal. After starting rev engine to 3000 RPM, should read around 14.2 V, with an acceptable range from 13 V - 15 V. Anything outside of this indicates a charging system problem. Instructions note to turn off the on board battery tester after these series of tests, as “it will cause power leakage”.

I figure with the amount of charge discharge cycles this type of battery can handle, it should last the rest of my life. I guess part of my trust comes from the fact that I was a CECS student, (after finishing Bio, which was actually EE CS), around the beginning of the new millennium, and a lot of the smart students were either Indian or Chinese. China is now where in the world’s ranking of economies? It didn’t get there by overcharging people for products, compared to Braille battery this is like 15 - 20 % the cost, and Braille doesn’t have on board voltage meter nor emergency backup....

My son has a soccer game this morning, with a forecast of rain. Only time they cancel is for thunder/lightning! Gonna figure out how to do the 3000 RPM test. You’re welcome to see it. I’m a little worried about the drop it sustained. It was well packaged but you can see one corner of the boxes are slightly dented. I rubbed the corner of the actual battery case and whatever the impact caused wiped off and the battery looks good. I can’t wait to see how much the original battery weighs in comparison...

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is not a Toyota battery, do not worry. This is a level higher than the Optima gel/spiral cell batteries some people note as being happy with.

Braille in FL makes LiFePO4 chemistry batteries, but they are a lot more expensive. If I need a replacement battery for my Scion iQ I will ask this company if they can make one, or scrounge up my money for a Braille as they make a BCI Group 25 battery. But I’ll definitely miss the on board voltage meter, emergency backup, and a ton of money in my wallet!

From my understanding reading here, the power duties of the 12 V are minimal, so I am hoping that this will be a reliable battery for my parents’ daily driver, as would a battery from Walmart might be as well. Since they are in their 80s, it was unpleasant news that they got stuck outside of Church the day my wife, son, and I just so happen to be out of town. I do not think they will have the knowhow to pull out all the trunk items to get to the emergency button, but I may just leave the covers off in the trunk, which would give them easy access. (I also won’t mention how much stronger this battery is supposed to be, so that they are less likely to try to abuse it).

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very good points/questions. I want to assume that all basis for these claims are effects from extra power during startup, and the charging efficiency, and drain capacity, of the LiFePO4 chemistry. I’ll take their % studies as advertising. But the benefits of the chemistry are unquestionable, it is amazingly light, and they are able to package so much more into the same size case because of the much greater charge density. It can also withstand many more charge discharge cycles.

Now on to test the reliability/compatibility and report to you guys here. (Hopefully no fires, right? )

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, there is a slight aroma around the inner most box, a retail style box that actually contained the battery inside. Waking up in the middle of the night because I needed to use the restroom and get a drink of water, (and after posting responses here), I realize what I am smelling is Li. (I also have a lithium grease WD-40 brand spray, which also has such a similar smell). Actually now that reminds me, unhealthy, but so is lead (Pb)...

14. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    361.94$
    I think I'll wait a year or two to see how it Reacts to everyday use, and another 150$ for a charger?

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am having great luck with a Odyssey PC680 dry cell battery in the sports car. Light, small, mountable in any orientation. I use it in laydown mode with an aluminum battery box/hold down.

Same weight as, but one-third the LiFePO4 price. One-third the Optima yellow weight, and one-third less expensive.

I do use a tiny Li starter battery in the shop's standby inverter/generator.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I didn’t buy a charger. I think that’s for abused batteries. I was thinking of having one just in case I need to charge it, but realized that with the use I’m expecting it should not have any problems, unless there is a quality issue. I will keep the original battery as backup, and cross that road when I come to it so to speak.

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, I realize it's not a Toyota battery. My point being, why can't the Toyota engineers put a regular, normal battery in a Prius??! Or at least a less expensive battery. I realize the Prius is "different", but 300 bucks for a battery is just assinine. I better get 10 years out of my OEM 12V battery. :LOL:

Next car is a simple Corolla.

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As far as I understand a Walmart flooded cell battery can and will work just fine, until you get into an accident with it inside the passenger compartment. Then what happens with the liquid acid is the concern if the battery case is broken. Any application where the battery is located inside the passenger compartment, for some reason needs to be of the safety type that is dry.....

Corollas do have nice LED headlights! I like your taste!!!!

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nice information. Thank you.

I immediately went to look it up and found these specs:

Odyssey PC680 Battery | 12 Volt 16 Ah Battery

It weighs 16 lbs while mine with control/protection logic, and backup power, weighs just 9.4 lbs. (I averaged the weights when I measured it twice, first 150.0 oz and second 149.8 oz). I just realized I made an error I think. It should be 9.369 lbs at 149.9 oz and I put 150.9 oz by mistake!

20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well, sorry, I'm in the wrong forum again. My 12V is in the engine bay.... but it still costs $350! (Toyota OEM)
    Everything about a Prius seems to be overly expensive. The parts, the repairs, the insurance, the batteries.... but we save on gas. That's about it.