1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am finally up and running.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can read the entire story of my trial and tribulations HERE.

Short story.

Signed the contract to have photovoltaic panels installed on my roof on July 3, 2007.

They started work August 2, 2007

They finished the work August 9, 2007.

It failed inspection August 10, 2007. They knew it would fail inspection before they even started. (They knew this August, 8. They knew this August 3. And according to a website a Priuschatter supplied, should have known before I even signed the contract by just looking at my meter July 3)

We split the cost of upgrading my service. I had 60 (they knew this and that it wouldn't pass). I paid for parts and permits and they paid for labor to upgrade to 125.

It passed City Inspection.

It failed Sempra Energy inspection. Meter and shut off are in the wrong place. They knew this. It all could have been moved when it was upgraded but....well. They're idiots.

They paid to have meter and service moved to location all parties agreed to. I paid for SDG&E lock and new gate to isolate that area from the rest of the yard (and the dog.)

Got an e-mail today giving me the OK to turn it on.

July 3 - Oct. 26.

Live and learn.

And never hire Borrego Solar.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YAY!!!!!!!!!
    WOOOO HOOOOOOO! :D

I'm so happy for you! May you have so many sunny days that the power company sends you checks EVERY month :D

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 27 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]531247[/snapback]</div>
    Uh. Nope. They don't pay. Anything I generate beyond my needs they get for free.

I believe this is one of the major roadblocks to more people installing solar. (That and the up front costs.) There is no incentive to install more than you need even if you can. I have plenty of roof space and optimal angle, direction. But why should I spend thousands of dollars to just give it away for free.

By contarst, the leader in PV generation in the world is... "sunny" Germany. Why? They pay people when they produce more than they use.

My systems was calculated out to zero my electricity bill at the end of the year. So I don't pay for electrical for a year. Then my use is calculated for the year. If I go over I pay nothing. If I owe a little, I pay once a year.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good on ya Godiva, I'm proud of ya!
    Sucks they don't pay you for excess power hey? Seeing they should be able to on sell that power at a premium as green power. bit of a rip off really.
    enjoy the clean green electric.