1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am going to buy a Prius today or tomorrow

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PrettyinPrius, Apr 29, 2008.

1. PrettyinPrius

PrettyinPrius Total Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am not sure I am posting this in the correct forum, so if you know where I should post this, let me know.

I am going to buy a Prius this week (possibly today or tomorrow)

I just went to the Toyota website and did the "Build Your Own"

Here is what it came up with:
    08, package 6 with the following:
    - 50 state emissions, Package #6-includes Smart Key System [1], backup camera [7], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [11], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [6] universal transceiver, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability, satellite radio capability [2] and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [3] wireless technology, voice-activated DVD navigation system [4], and leather-trimmed seats and steering wheel.

Exterior: Magnetic Gray
    Interior: Dark Gray Leather

Satellite radio kit

Is there anything that I could get that I have not put on here? I notice one of the other posts had tinted windows, so that started me wondering.

I would like to know what’s available and be able to price it before I get to the dealership.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.:)

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi

Tinted Windows is a dealer added thing; it is very likely that you could get a better price for it from a independent shop that does tint. It is usually a big profit item for the dealer along with an extended warranty (expect most dealers to give the hard sell on this), paint protectant, etc. All of those items can be added later if you really want them, and IMO paint protectant, fabric protectant and rustproofing (esp in Calif) are of no real value or can be duplicated much cheaper than the dealer price.

You can buy the warranty later (up to 3 yrs or 36000 miles later) and you can buy it online for much less than the dealer price.

You can actually contact the internet sales dept for most dealers and get a quote on the car you want before you bother going down there. This is a good way to get the best price for the car and not have to deal with the typical sales guy on the floor.

There is a lot of online info on pricing; edmunds.com and kbb.com are the two most popular for determining a fair price.

3. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you decide to go with tinted windows just make sure you get a ceramic coating, not a metallic one. The latter can interfere with some of the electronic gizmos supposedly. I'm no expert, but I've seen that comment posted here more than once.

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to the forum PrettyinPrius. Your list of options looks sufficient to me...make sure that you get the color you want. What are you waiting for :eyebrows:.. go today and purchase that Prius and take her home. :D

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider Touring Edition for Improved Handling

My personal bias is that I think the Standard Prius has subpar handling. Therefore, I'd go for the Touring Edition.

For only about $350 more at the Package 6 level, you'll get better handling from the Touring Edition's tuned suspension and bigger, wider and better wheels and tires.

6. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL!! Nope, it sounds like you've got everything that Toyota offers (except maybe the kitchen sink.)

There's a bunch of things that you can add after the purchase that range from cosmetic (like tint) to structural (skid plates, strut braces, frame stiffeners, etc.) that you can add after the purchase.

I'm still trying to get some feel for the car as I bought it before I start making changes to what think is a fairly brilliant design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are faults, but I also firmly believe that they're all fairly minor and very uncommon.

Then again one of the things that seems to have guided Prius design was the concept that you make all the small enhancements that you can, and in the end they add up to something pretty big.....

In any event, I'm still trying to figure out what mods I may want to do.

Enjoy the car when you get it!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You'll going top of the line. The floor mats are accessories. My dealer gives a 15% discount at the Parts counter. Ask if your dealer has such a plan. If so, buy the mats AFTER the car or get the discount on the sales invoice. The car is a scratch magnet. Get 3M or VentureShield on the car ASAP as well as the rear bumper applique (film on top of rear bumper) or black rubber trim. IMO the tint & film should be done by indy shops. Usually this stuff is done "at" the dealer, not "by" the dealer so you should be able to get a better price.

Enjoy.

8. PrettyinPrius

PrettyinPrius Total Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions/recomendation. I went to Longo Toyota today (the #1 volume dealer in the USA) and they don't have any inventory of what I want, so I had to put down a $500 deposit and have them order it.

And my husband did check online inventory quantities of the local dealers and they didn't have anything either.

:-(

Now I have to figure out how we are going to wait a month or more to replace my husbands car, which if it’s going to be worth anything as a trade in, shouldn't be driven between now and then.