1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am going to Plotz if I don't get a Black #9

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slumbum, Sep 10, 2004.

1. slumbum

slumbum New Member

:cry:
    How should I go about getting a 2004 or 2005 Black Prius with the #9 package?

The best price I could get was $28k for a Black 2004. Is that good?
    I think that's over 2k above MSRP. I would have had it in 2 weeks.

Am I being too damn picky? Should I have jumped on it?

P.S.: Plotz is Yiddish for Burst. (I'm not European Jewish...but I wish I were so I could speak this cool language fluently.)

2. wombatua

wombatua New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    MSRP - around $26,000 before taxes for a no. 9 2004 - exists. Where do you live? Are you particular about your new car's color (it seems as though you might be)? Page around here and other sites; there are dealers out there whose lists are shorter than those in many big cities - Dayton included. Are you willing to travel a bit (or more) to pick up your car or hire a transporter? Ideas to consider...

3. slumbum

slumbum New Member

I am ready to buy today.

I have found one with a 2 week wait for 28K, I am thinking about jumping on it. I am in Springfield, MA 100 west of Boston. I am willing to travel up to say 500 miles to get one.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The reality is, you probably cannot get one that soon for less. Is it worth 2K to you to have your car a few months sooner? Remember that by trade-in time, that 2K is lost, in addition to the basic depreciation. You clearly want nothing other than a black BC, and you'd never be really satisfied with anything else. I don't know the meaning of "to plotz," but it suggests that you don't want to settle for less.

Here's a thought experiment:

Imagine you can get your black BC in 6 months. You've signed up for it and it's definite. (This is a thought experiment, not a prediction.) Now imagine that the Qwertyuiop car rental agency across the street has offered to rent you a black BC for those six months for $2,000. Would you take the rental?

Paying a premium over MSRP to get the car now is a lot like renting one for the interim until you'd have gotten one at MSRP.

Substitute the length of time a reliable dealer in your area says you'd have to wait, and do the math to figure your daily "rental."

5. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Interesting way of looking at it.

The only problem is, the dealer says he can get it for me in 2 weeks. He said he might loan me a used one until it comes in.

My whole thing is, if I am paying a 2k premium, I would prefer the 2005.
    Of course, I would rather have the money in my pocket.

Funny thing is that supply and demand work both ways.

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you hit it...SUPPLY and DEMAND... or HOW BAD I WANT IT... thats why Prii sell on eBay....

I can understand the WANT...I only waited 57 days for mine but was checking the dealers lot almost daily after 30... you might look for more 'perks' to soften the extra $2000... good luck in your choice...looking forward to pictures..

Bob

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I presume the $28K didn't include tax, right? If it did, I don't think there is a markup. If not, you have to decide if you want to give this person $2K of your money for nothing extra on his part. It will lead him to believe that he should continue to deal this way because there are 'desperate' people. One has to wonder how he KNOWS he can get a black BC in 2 weeks. No one on his list wants one he has been allocated or is he shafting them for $2K?

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can find cars in rural areas. I got mine in 5-6 weeks in Helena MT. Others have found cars in more rural areas. You might try this strategy. I paid sticker for my car.

9. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Update

I walked away from dealer 1, he was talking $28k without taxes!
    I secured my Black 2004 #9, and left a deposit.

I got a great deal to boot. I'll tell you how after I pick up Saturday (no "how" to it really)....I won't believe it until I am driving home.

I think I'll pay a visit dealer 1 and rattle his cage a bit. On behalf of all the victim buyers out there :lol:

Shalom
    j.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I paid just over 28k for a BC (04 #9) tax title the whole 9 yards. 100 points to those who know the refernce

11. jchu

jchu New Member

Google "the whole nine yards" and came up with this:"nine yards" link and no thanks on the point. Got enough of my own.