1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am having trouble with my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by trimel, Sep 3, 2014.

1. trimel

trimel New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When trying to drive my car out of the garage this weekend, it started backing up and then it stopped. It would also not do anything when I put it in drive. Next, the engine cut out. It would only stay on for a few seconds when starting it up again. It continued to do this. I had the car brought to my local mechanic who specializes in foreign cars. He called me today and said my car will not talk to the computer. He stated it must be the hybred battery. He told me I need to take it to a Toyota dealer. My question is how do you tell if this battery is truly out and there is not another problem? I do not want to invest money and find out that wasn't the problem.

I have a 2001 Prius.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to obtain the DTC logged by the ECUs to obtain a clue about the car's problems. Apparently your mechanic's OBD-II code reader will not communicate with the car's numerous ECUs. Your local Toyota dealer should be able to retrieve the DTC unless your car has a communications problem.

okcwxguy and dorunron like this.
  3. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Take the car to someone with a decent scanner that has the ability to pull Hybrid codes. The issue of his scanner not talking is 90% his scanner being too basic to pull codes. Are there any lights on the dash? Have you checked your fluids?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?