1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am more than fed up with Duke University

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, May 1, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

The intolerance and profileing at Duke University has got to stop! I refuse to watch another Duke team play on TV until this kind of thing is allowed freely without some old conservative fart saying it's wrong. Maybe it was wrong for him 50 years ago when he was a student. Today when he's Dean, it's a new world and he needs to be progressive!

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/s...s-2888102.shtml

All of the sudden it's cool to seperate out cheaters from non cheaters? I'm outraged!!

At least call it 'ethically challenged' or 'honesty impaired'.... Nobody should have to be called a CHEATER!!

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At least those students who were expelled have a good future in the Bush administration.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cheating is a serious offense... you have to agree to the "honor code" every time you register... sure it's not as extreme as the Great Loyalty Oath Crusade (if you've read Catch-22) but they make sure as you're thinking about what you're getting into that semester that you think about not getting into a situation like that.

they make it hard, for a reason. you know how many hours i spent on pharmacokinetics in my general pharm class? argh! but you just buck up and do it, you're at one of the nation's best universities for a reason, they expect you could cut it on your own.

even in college, spring of my senior year, we had four students in my molecular biology class collaborate on a take-home test. (one that contained the warning: "failure to do this test entirely by yourself may result in death" no less!) they did not graduate... no screwing around there either.

dishonesty perpetuates itself and tends toward worse things than cheating if people get away with it. good for them for kicking these kids' asses.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 1 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]433310[/snapback]</div>
    Why are they stupid too?

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:rolleyes:

The REAL world cares not if you "cheated" during the course of pursuing your MBA...

I personally cheated on a final exam Freshman year of college. Simply took another student's corrected exam, changed the wording and got an "A".

The reality of it is, it saved a lot of time and effort, for something I would never need to know anyway, for a stupid elective class nonetheless...

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 1 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]433363[/snapback]</div>
    the time and effort is what makes the degree worth something. i'm not willing to spend an extra 10 hours a week for an A vs an A-, but i'm not willing to be dishonest to avoid spending the time at all. that's why you're in school. again, if you can't cut it on your own you don't belong in that program, you belong in one where they hold your hand the whole way.

a friend and i suspected a couple other students in our class of doing just what you did... but never could prove anything.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On this fine May Day -

Anyone seeing a parallel between this controversy and the debate on whether illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and become citizens?

Hey, the students took up space in the class for how long? They did the work. So what if they cheated and broke the rules. They should now be allowed to stay and graduate because they are being stigmatized by being called cheaters . . . and they want to be GRADUATES!

I think anybody who can plant their butts onto a chair in a college classroom should be allowed to stay and graduate . . . even if they didn't apply for admissions, were never accepted, didn't pay tuition (tax), overburden the tutors (social services), and even take space (jobs) away from enrolled students and demand the subjects be taught in a language other than English. WHY NOT!!!!

[of course, this was sarcasm . . . um, except to the ultra-liberals amongst us who were nodding their heads in agreement and soon may be calling for me to run for president of the United States. :eek: ]

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every class should be aproached as if it was specific to your major. There is something to be learned in every class I've been in. Some business majors at my school doze off or are openly hostile to the ideas presented in my Natural Resource Conservation class and I cannot help but feel sorry for us because these arrogant idiots will be running our future economic systems without a clue as to how the world actually works.

So yeah, cheating is not acceptable at all. They should be punished accordingly.

9. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Business majors. Figures. Future car dealers.

10. ozyran

ozyran New Member

34?!? Holy crap! Well, I hope this serves as a great example to all who see it as being the pitfall for cheating. Now if only you'd see this kind of thing in Corporate America...

Oh, and BTW:

(from Merriam-Webster site)
    cheater: 1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>

From the definition, I'd say cheater is a fitting description of the offenders.

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 1 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]433438[/snapback]</div>
    Um, wrong.

It's MY 120K on the line, and I'm going to be the best in my class for my major. Colleges in the U.S. suck BALLS, and have relatively little flexibility in terms of curriculum. They are there, first and foremost to make money, just like any other business, the degree is merely a by-product. At least, at the undergrad level, you could argue differently within the post grad regime, but even there you're fraught with politics FIRST, benefit for mankind truly takes the back seat, that is, unless you can fund your own research... :lol:

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They were busted, which means they aren't good cheaters. They need to take the Remedial Cheating class during the summer semester. Now you know why so many people with initials after their names are clueless.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 1 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]433478[/snapback]</div>
    You can chose to be ignorant of other ideas and issues then. It's your ignorance, not mine. ;)

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 2 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]433773[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, more like your naivety, not mine...

Paying for things I don't want is just something I generally try to avoid...

;)

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 06:27 AM) [snapback]433871[/snapback]</div>
    Closemindedness is such a ugly thing. I'm more into efficiency. If I'm paying for it then I want to get all I can out of it. Then again we do live in a very wasteful society so I can't blame you. ;)

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 2 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]433897[/snapback]</div>
    Here's your model citizen award:

:lol:

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]433871[/snapback]</div>
    You're proud of cheating and proud of being willfully ignorant? Wow, no wonder you're a neocon!