1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am not sure how or why I killed my battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NoMoShocks, Jul 8, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Today, when I left the Prius, it beeped at me three times. I should have investigated, but I didn't. Apparently I left it on, because about one hour later, I was doing some yard work, and I heard the ICE start up. This is when I realized I had left it on. So I walked over and reached through the window to hit the power button which I thought would turn if OFF. I don't think I needed my foot on the pedal or anything. At the same time, I noticed that the headlights were on, so I clicked them off. But the ICE had just been running, so I thought everything should be fine.

Well, tonight, I went out and it was dead, so I had to jump it. What part of the puzzle am I missing here?

2. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 8 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]474972[/snapback]</div>
    I get the three beeps when I leave mine on (usually on purpose). You do not need the pedal
    to turn it off. If you turned the lights off at the same time, I cannot see where you went wrong.

Maybe a door wasn't shut all the way? I'm not sure what kind of beep pattern you would get
    in that case.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You left an interior light on, or did not completely close the rear hatch, or pushed the power button more than once and left it in IG-ON or ACC instead of OFF.

Always lock the car: anything other than one short beep means you've made some mistake somewhere, and a dead battery is in your future if you don't correct it.

4. adchesney

adchesney New Member

Dear Folks

I have installed some window tinting on my new Prius T-Spirit (see photo before and after). Anyhow, after three hours of the doors being opened my less-than-a-week-old Prius was dead, battery completely flat. I had to read the manual and jump start the car. Thank goodness there is a jump point under the fuse box.

BTW, I will take the wheel covers off when the dealer has supplied the grey alloy hub centers!

Regards

ANDREW (UK)

[attachmentid=9519]
    [attachmentid=9520]
    [attachmentid=9521]
    [attachmentid=9518]

Attached Files:

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adchesney @ Jul 8 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]475108[/snapback]</div>
    I think Toyota is was short sighted as to how people use their cars when they put in such a small 12 V battery. This story about using interior lights to install tint, radio on during a picknic, the time I left the headlights on for 15 minutes to light a plumbing repair are all things people are used to doing with other cars with a standard battery.

If I were to replace the tiny battery with a full size car battery, would I overtax the charging system or confuse the computer or anything?

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 8 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]475114[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with the reg. size car battery, maybe even a deep cycle battery would be nice to have since you actually don't spin a starter , but I guess that would not charge properly.
    maybe the prius gurus could shed more light on the battery issue

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can put in a larger battery, but you will have to deal with putting in new battery cable terminals and re-doing the mounting hardware. You will want a sealed battery as well, either an AGM or Gel type. The AGM is "absorptive glass mat". An Optima yellow top in size 51 would be fine. It's larger than the Prius one but still fairly small, and is a spiral wound sealed AGM type. The yellow top indicates it's not for engine starting applications, but rather float applications, which is what the Prius use is. The Optima red top ones are the engine starter types. Some will tell you a vent tube is necessary, but the Prius runs the battery at 13.8 V so I doubt you would run into a problem with it venting.

You do not want either a sealed or unsealed lead acid battery with uncontrolled liquid electrolyte. In an accident they can be cracked and will leak acid into the car interior. AGM batteries will not drip anything if they are broken open and neither will gel batteries.

There will be no problem with charging from the Prius charging system.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Regarding the Prius 12 v battery, it is NOT a gel or AGM battery. I've had the 12 v battery out of my Prius and you can clearly see - and hear - the electrolyte sloshing around inside. The little vent tube is the only special thing about the battery.

9. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 7 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]474972[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that pressing the start button while reaching in through the window will turn the car off since the sks fob will be detected as outside the car; (my car is not available right now so I can't test that). I think that you would have to hold the button down for several seconds (emergency shutdown) in the situation you describe.

On the other hand, leaving the car on should not deplete either battery (unless its is also in neutral and doesnt run out of gas). The ICE will start as necessary to maintain SOC in the traction battery, which will charge the aux battery. The ICE will not start if in neutral.

10. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adchesney @ Jul 8 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]475108[/snapback]</div>
    My father use to purchase Volvos in Europe, while working for 3 months, and then ship them back to the US. We went to pick up the car after the ship delivery to Chicago. The battery was dead and the car had nearly no gasoline (removed for safety during shippping? There is no gas at a shipping terminal. So we got a jump and drove to the nearest gas station and filled up. Of course we needed another jump and the gas attendant charged us for the jump while sitting at his station, nice touch.

But it occurs to me that a smallish battery might suffer the same fate during shipment. If sufficiently drained, the battery actually loses the ability to hold a charge. So it might be you had a small amount of battery capacity that ran down completely during your tinting. I guess I would suggest a new battery or at least a fully load test of the battery. Toyota should deliver a "good" battery with the new car.

11. Jaqueh2

Jaqueh2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adchesney @ Jul 8 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]475108[/snapback]</div>
    is ur prius from out of town(USA) because it has that european turn signal on the side. and other things that are not standard here. such you dont have reflective yellow strips on your headlights... ACtually why is that standard here in the states?

12. BexarWolf

BexarWolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaqueh2 @ Jul 8 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]475299[/snapback]</div>

The poster with the red Prius and unusually long license plate info has this in his info box:

Group: Members
    Member No.: 25,500
    My Car: 2007 Prius
    Package: T Spirit

Yeah, I'd say that's from out of town. lol :D

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Jul 8 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]475308[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot to add that his steering wheel is on the right side of the car. ;)

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

The heck with the car .......Nice summer house. :eek:

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you left the car running and took the smart key with you.

16. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adchesney @ Jul 8 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]475108[/snapback]</div>

Andrew, your car looks great. Very sharp. Maybe you have heard this already but if you did end up draining your 12V battery it would be wise to give it a full charge with a home charger. From what I have read, the Prius is not the best at keeping the little 12V battery charged. If you just gave it a 'jump' it might have enough power to start the car, but not much else. Would be smart to make sure that little battery is at full charge so you don't have any trouble in the future.

-Peter B

17. adchesney

adchesney New Member

Dear Peter B, et al,

Thanks for the advice - I will be driving some 900 miles down to Spain next week, I would imagine that this run will be sufficient to fully charge the 12v battery.

I will have roof bars and a top-box - so the MPG will be interesting to see - Ouch!

Regards to all

ANDREW (United Kingdom, that's in Europe :))