1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am so freaking excited... 66.1MPG on the way in to work this morning:)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BrettS, Feb 1, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since I got a new job (and a new Prius) two weeks ago, I've been staying on the highway most of the way in to work (about 15 highway miles and 10 miles on surface streets) and I've been averaging about 52-56MPG, mostly depending on how fast I go on the highway.

This morning I tried a new route with only 3 highway miles and 19 miles on surface streets... mostly with 35-45MPH limits, but there's a few stretches at 30 and a few at 50-55 too. It's slightly shorter than the highway route, so it only took me a minute or two longer... but in the end I wound up with an average of 66.1MPG over 21.9 miles... not bad, if I do say so myself;)

I think I could do a bit better once I learn the route too... a couple of times I had just gotten up to speed when I came around a corner to find a red light. Once I learn where the lights are I'm hoping I can get it up to 70.

I'm excited and I just had to let someone know:)

Brett

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WOW, that's some great numbers especially for a newbie. I've logged as high as 75mpg at 25 miles on a new tank under ideal conditions. The fuel computer is optimistic so wait to finish the tank and compute it yourself. Work on plus/glides to the lights once you get the patterns down.

Just like you, I too found a more favorable commuting route that better played to the hybrid strengths. Unfortunately, it was longer but I found it took about the same time with a big plus: it was much less stressful (no school zones and law enforcement and less traffic) than my old short cut.

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Brett, that's a great way to do it. I used to take side streets in and back from work everyday. It only takes a few minutes longer but it's more relaxing and the mpg's are great. Good job.

4. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just did the math... I know I can average low to mid 50's by taking the highway every day... if I can stay in the low to mid 60's on the surface roads every day then between the increased fuel economy and the fact that the surface road route is a bit shorter I'll save more than a gallon of gas a week and, depending on the price of gas, upwards of $3.50 or $4 a week... that's a pretty significant savings for giving up a couple of minutes in commute time.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If youre getting 60mpg going one way, chances are you'll get 40 the opposite direction, due to the slope of the road. Sorry to burst your bubble.

1 person likes this.
  6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's quite possible, but I suspect that won't be the case... I live in FL which is pretty flat... elevation change is probably well under 100 feet from my start to my destination and over 20 odd miles I think that's pretty insignificant. Additionally, I average in the low to mid 50's going both directions on the highway.

But, I leave to go home in 5 hours and I'll see how it goes on that trip.

I'll take this route for the rest of the week before I declare that I can consistantly get 60+ on my commute... but I'm still reasonably confidant.

7. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    He's in Orlando, FL. They have virtually zero slope.

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Macmaster:

Even with commutes with annoying hills all over the place, I tend to average about the same in both directions at a decent mpg. One way does tend to be off a bit on my longer commute, but just by 2mpg or so.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For his distance, that means an elevation difference of 1000 to 1100 feet.

A quick topo check suggests that the only parts of Florida that high above sea level are at, and north of, Atlanta.

I also find gentle rolling hills themselves to be of little consequence to mpg, when there is no net elevation change. But elevation difference between endpoints makes a huge difference.

10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well in Florida warm weather and dry roads are normal.
    You can easily get a true 50 plus MPG calculated, and 60 mpg is not out of the ballpark.

Here in the northwest with rain and temps in the 40's mpg's run around 45 mpg. In summer its easy to get over 50 mpg even with
    our all year long 10% Ethanol flavored gasoline.

al

11. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, my evening last night wound up being pretty hectic and I didn't get a chance to sign on and post the results from my commute home. But, for anyone who really cares, I'm happy to report that I managed to get an average of 67.6MPG on the way home last night.

On the way in to work this morning I pulled into my parking place at 69.7MPG... just .3 away from the elusive 70... I think 70 should definitely be doable if the lights and traffic are favorable, but I don't think I'm gonna be hitting 70 every morning.

Gotta love living in FL with it's nice warm weather and flat roads:)

Brett

Attached Files:

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lucky you. You get to drive near Disney World everyday and pull out 60-70 MPG.

13. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hehe... yeah, I love living in this area. Actually, the reason I was busy last evening was because I drove down to Disney to have dinner with my parents... they were at Disney over the weekend and were supposed to fly home to Albany, NY yesterday, but because of the weather up north they're not going to be able to get out until at least tomorrow.

I actually had a pretty good mileage run last night too... I reset the meter when I left work, then drove home to pick up my wife, then down to Disney for dinner and back home... a total of 111.4 miles and averaged 65.8MPG over the whole trip. The Disney trip took me down a bit from where I was when I arrived at home, but it was mostly highway, so I suppose that's to be expected.

14. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Elevation changes make a tremendous difference in mileage. Even 100 feet over miles is significant. I've gotten 75mpg in the 15 miles between fill-up and work, a downhill difference of about 200 feet. I've also gotten in the high 30s on the way home. Also, the computer tends to estimate higher than the true consumption. My 2-way average hovers around 50.

Any method of "calculation" other than using actual gas consumption vs. mileage over several fills-up is almost guaranteed to be erroneous.

OTOH, I'd be happy - very very happy indeed in this ridic NJ winter - to trade my accurate calculations for your Florida weather.

Richard

15. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I agree, but I still like seeing numbers in the 60's and 70's because they're big numbers and they make me happy;)

I'm on my third tank of gas now and when I fill it again I'll do the calculation and see how that compares to the car's estimate. On my first tank the car estimated about 55 and my calculations put it closer to 51. I suspect I'll see the same here.

16. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even is you average a true, calculated 45 mpg, that is great mileage
    not many larger motorcyles can match that.

Infact most motorcycles are driven, for obvious reasons, in warm, dry weather. When a Prius is driven in warm dry weather on similar roads you can expect to get the same MPG as the larger major
    motorcyles.

Lets not forget that the Prius weighs over 3,000 lbs. bone dry. Fill it up with 4 people and its over 3,600 lbs, and yet still delivers
    motorcyle mileage.

Not bad....

al

17. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I set my NAV system to north up when driving south so it's always down hill.:):):)

18. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, that's like me thinking riding my bike South is easier because it's down hill.;)

19. dropshot

dropshot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ay Carumba!!! :eek:

20. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hehe... well, I was running a bit late for work. I imagine I didn't get much regen going from 69.7 to 0 in the length of a parking space, though;)