1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I am so gutless...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCPrius, Apr 14, 2005.

1. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I really wanted to see my first 500 mile tank of gas, and the flashing "low fuel" indicator came on at 450 miles. I know I could have easily done it - but something about that nagging light just made me pull into a gas station at 470 miles. Despite the computer showing 48.5 overall mpg, and knowing the thing has an 11 gallon tank, that flashing light made me pull in early. And it took 9.5 gallons - Could have easily done it -but too chicken. Maybe next time.

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :iagree on my part it's more of being worried that it dies on me and i get stuck somewhere ending up late for work :wink: the most i've braved the flashing bar was up to 460miles, and filled-up around 9.5gallons. i'll push for that 500+mile tank one of these days that i'm not busy and alone in the car (to avoid anyone being aggravated... just in case..) :lol:

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Don't let it worry you. I've backed off as well -- just don't want to take the chance of running out of gas (which could be very bad for the car).

Doesn't effect your MPG -- and that's the figure to shoot for (competition-wise :D ).

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get to 530 miles and I have not gotten the blinking light. So I usually chicken out and fill up before my blinking light goes off. My coworkers would give me so much crap if they found out I ran out of gas.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I figure Mr. Blinky is there for a *very* good reason. I've only once taken the tank down to the point that Mr. Blinky turned on, and I was able to refuel within 5 minutes.

There are a lot of reasons *not* to run a fuel tank that low: could affect the life of the in-tank electric fuel pump; you could pick up sediment/water at the bottom of the tank; might be forced to refuel in a bad part of town; and, might actually run out of fuel in BFE, FUBAR something, and the dealer will tell you TFB you're SOL, etc etc etc

6. Prolene

Prolene New Member

I agree with the possible complications of running the tank dry. The phrase goes something like this: there are "old soldiers, bold soldiers, but no old, bold soldiers". Better to be careful, sometimes.

7. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

The last time I pushed my luck with the blinky light I only got 37 miles before I ran out of gas.

So when I see blinky-blinky I go looky-looky for gas.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't apologize I usually fill up when I get one bar left. I don't drive around on the Army or Airforce base so I know no one will give me a hero metal for running out of gas. If I get to 500 miles with one bar left I have a one gallon gas can I might put in the back and go for it... or not. I will let you know when I get there.

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have filled up 10 times since Oct 04 and always wait for the flashing reminder, drive at least 20 miles and fill up. The most I've every added is 7.61G (Imperial) and I've averaged 51.13mpg . Don't think I've sucked the bottom of the fuel tank or overworked my fuel pump. Jayman, respectfully, I think your dire predictions are out to lunch. :lol: Maybe my blinkie show up before other's do?
    Gary

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Having a cautious Mr. Blinkey is not a bad thing. :lol:

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Last tank I drive 602 miles at 60MPG before blinkie. Was able to drive another 52 miles before I chickened out. Took 11 gallons.

Someone in another thread here or on PriusOnline thought I should be able to go to 700 based on a tank before.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    kcprius, you did the right thing. An 11 gallon tank lined with a bladder (as the Prius has) does not necessarily have 11 gallons of gas in it.

13. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher\";p=\"81530)</div>
    :iagree Bladder shrinkage (shudder!), particularly with ambient cold temperatures will tend to limit the total volume of gas you can fit in the tank before it spews gas back at ya.

14. marathonmike

marathonmike New Member

Something else to consider is the extra wear that running the tank that low puts on the fuel system. The pump has to work that much harder as the tank has less in it. So, It is fun to go that far on fuel, but I do not plan on doing it all the time.