1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I ask about Diesel vs Prius in Europe

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by USK, Jul 7, 2004.

1. USK

USK New Member

It is thought in Japan that a diesel is not good for environment.

But some one say that the diesel is best creen eco car, not hybrid.
    The people in Europe with consciousness strong against environment have chosen the diesel.
    And in France or the Netherlands etc., there is a person who choice the diesel car 50% or more.

Is it true in europe?
    What is the meaning whose you chose Prius in such atmosphere?

2. Heikki

Heikki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius will be rare and individual purchase

We have a special annual diesel tax for diesel powered cars and trucks in Finland and that is the reason why diesel is cheaper than petrol (gas).

If you drive more than 20000 kilometres (12400 miles) per year it is cheaper to use diesel car than a petrol car.

Because Prius is more expensive to buy than diesels in the same class (for example Volkswagen Passat and Volvo V40) many people choose diesel car instead.

I chose Prius mainly because it will always be very rare in my neighborhood. So it will be individual purchase. Another good reason is engines huge torque and cars good standard equipments. Toyota has also a good reputation and excellent dealer network.

It is good that Prius is an eco friendly car but it was not the reason why I chose it.

-Heikki

3. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    I have a Hyundai Santa Fe (which I am replacing with the Prius). The SF is available in both Petrol and Deisel versions, but the deisel cost more to purchase and more to tax. The fuel is cheaper, but there isnt a big difference any more, maybe 20Ct/ltr. So unless you drive a lot, there is no cost saving over all. You have to drive 15-20K km before it payes out.

Deisel is a lot cleaner that it was, but still is regarded as dirty by a lot of people.

What surprises me is how MRT compares the Prius polution with that of a deisel, and not with a petrol car. I would have prefered both to be compared, but I guess then the Prius may not look quite so good :wink:

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

When I needed a car for my travel to and from work (over 50k per year), the choice was easy: diesel. In the Netherlands diesel is some 40 eurocents (~$0,5) cheaper per litre than gas. Even though a diesel car is more expensive and the road tax is a tad higher, at the kms I drive it's waaaaaay cheaper. The Prius will cost me a bit more per km, but I think it's the least I can do for the environment. And it's a cool car, with good safety features (and good safety rating).

Peugeot (together with Ford) introduced a rather clean diesel engine:

Peugeot's two new Euro IV compliant diesel engines

277 words
    7 June 2004
    Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
    English
    © Copyright 2004 Newsquest Digital Media.

gwent

Peugeot launches its first GTi.

TWO new state of the art HDi diesel engines will be fitted across the Peugeot 206, 307 and 407 range. Both engines are the result of the partnership between PSA Peugeot Citroen group and the Ford Motor Company. The standard fitment of PSA Peugeot Citroen's second-generation particulate emissions filter (FAP) also ensures that both engines easily meet the stringent Euro IV emissions standards and provide a reduction in BIK taxation of 3%.

The all aluminium four-cylinder engine offers high performance in terms of driving economy and respect for the environment. With a capacity of 1,560cm, the engine is equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger and an air/air intercooler. It develops a maximum power of 110bhp at 4,000rpm and a maximum torque of 180lb ft at 1,750rpm which, thanks to the "over boost" function - activated with the engine at full load between 1,500rpm and 3,750rpm - can provide a temporary torque increase to 192 lb ft.

This new engine will be fitted to the new 206 GTi HDi 110, a model which will strengthen further the 206 GTi range and become Peugeot's first diesel powered GTi. identifiable by a highly visible red `i' in the HDi badge on the car's front wings, it will also be the first small (B segment) car to be fitted with a particulate filter.

The 4-7 and 307 hatchback and estate range will also benefit from the new engine which in the 307 range will replace the previous 2.0-litre HDi 110 engine.

I think Toyota has introduced a similar diesel engine. :D

5. USK

USK New Member

Thank you for reply.
    A rare vehicle, a running cost, a safe performance, etc.
    It is not an environmental problem that Prius was chosen.
    I am looking for others.

Prius is the car by which operation becomes pleasant very much.
    The motto of Toyota, a fan to drive.

My average tank mileage is 1173Km by 2001 Prius.
    The life time mileage is 3.91 L/100Km.
    http://eshy.s22.xrea.com/cgi-bin/nenpi/nli...list.cgi?hn=USK

In Japan, the highest tank mileage is 1710Km by 2004 Prius.

I can not read this.
    http://www.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/Kraftstof...est/default.asp

But I read this.
    http://www.adac.de/images/ADAC-EcoTest2004..._tcm8-79043.pdf

Prius is the highest score which took 89 points ( 90-point full marks ).
    A diesel car has almost all the types of a car in the lowest grade portion.
    Avensis is the highest among the diesel, but 10 points less from Prius.
    I cannot think that a diesel car is clean.

Victor
    Please let me know your country. I cannot understand from your location.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Based upon his postings on other threads, he appears to be from Germany.

7. victor

victor New Member

Thats half correct. I am English, but living in Munich, south Germany. We also have a house in Greece (Crete) being built. My wife is French and we were married in Jamaica.

We get around a bit :lol:

8. victor

victor New Member

A very bad translation by worldlingo, but enough to understand (perhaps)

General German Automobile Association tested 113 vehicles on their
    environmental compatibility

At the hybrid none goes past

With the second General German Automobile Association EcoTest
    113 vehicles were examined from the smallest car to the upper class
    for their environmental compatibility. Only scarcely thereby missed the Toyota Prius 1,5 hybrid with 89 points and the Honda Civic 1,3 Dsi IMA
    hybrid (83) the 90 point hurdle for five environmental stars.

Both hybrid vehicles - these are propelled by a gasoline and an
    electric motor and used thereby the specific advantages in each case -
    lay with the criteria pollutant and Kohlendioxid(CO2)-emmisions in
    front.

Best Benziner without hybrid technology became the OPEL Signum 2,2
    directly, with 79 counters the same score reached as the most pollution free Diesel, the Toyota Avensis 2,0 D-CAT with particle filter and DeNOx catalyst. This shows, that diesel engined vehicles with most modern emission control systems during the pollutant valuation with very good Benzinern to keep up can. All these vehicles reached four stars.

At the end of the field Mitsubishi Pajero rank 2,5 TD Classic with 19
    points, with only in each case one star Renault Grand Espace 3,0 dCi AUTOMATIC (27) and Ford Tourneo Connect
    1,8 TDCi (29) closely followed of the two-star cars OPEL Zafira 2,2
    DTI and Nissan Almera Tino 2,2 dCi with in each case 30 points.

Altogether the gasoline-claimant vehicles lie in front due to the
    smaller pollutant output. Euro4 and particle filters bring the Diesel. With the CO2-Emission have against it Diesels due to the smaller fuel
    consumption an advantage opposite the Benziner. Modern Benziner with direkteinspritzung can unlock here.

In the EcoTest, that the General German Automobile Association on behalf of the FIA Foundation accomplishes, becomes consisting on the one hand the pollutant output of Carbon monoxide, Hydrocarbons, Nitrogen oxides and particles evaluates and on the other hand the
    climaticrelevant CO2-Emission measured. Equal Benziner and Diesel passenger car are treated and judged by car class. Beside the legal type testing tests in the General German Automobile Association exhaust laboratory also with air conditioning system was driven and a General German Automobile Association motorway test was accomplished.

I really cant be bothered with correcting the grammer or word order, but if you really cant understand what they mean, then I will do so!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diesel is not now a clean option in the US because our fuel still has a high content of Sulfur, often 500 ppm. This will change starting 1 July 2006. We can expect to see hybrid Diesel-electrics soon after, and enjoy low emissions with even better fuel economy and lower fuel cost.

10. USK

USK New Member

victer:
    Thank you for translation.

Richard:
    Also in Japan, it is announced that an oil selling company sells gasoline and light oil for low sulfur from January, 2005. They are 10 ppm or less.

Even if the level of the exhaust gas of a diesel becomes low by it, it does not have a change in it being higher than the level of gasoline.

The diesel of Toyota Avensis is not sold in present Japan.