1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I averaged 30.3 mpg after a 650 miles ski trip in the Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vajratlr, Feb 14, 2011.

1. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some of you might have seen my previous thread last week with regards to dropping 7mpg after ski rack put on roof. and to follow up on that after the actual ski trip to Mammoth from L.A., I ended up averaging 30.3 mpg!!! FYI... i had four people in the car, probably 500lbs total plus 6 snowboards on my roof and all the bags in the trunk. I'd guess a total load of 700lbs. and my conclusion is... prius is really not the best car for roof racks, it simply screws up the aerodynanics which creats a crap load of drag. And i had to gas up every 260 miles or so. so with one tank, I couldn't make it to Mammoth(310 miles) which sucked! :(

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Considering what you were packing, I say you did OK. As long as it was comfortable drive... it will average out of the life of the car.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you imagine what the MPG would be on a "normal" car if you did all this? :)

1 person likes this.
  4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

It's like noticing bad MPG in cold weather and saying the Prius isn't good in cold. Still FAR better than the other choices. It's just that damn MPG display making us more sensitive to it all the time.

- D

1 person likes this.
  5. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly, I don't think it's anywhere as horrible as the Prius. I think the aerodynamics on the Prius is enginnered so perfectly that if you put anything outside of the car, you will most likely suffer from MPG. my two previous "normal cars" which I had put on roof rack as well did not see a noticable difference at all. maybe 5%... not enough that I want to remove the rack everytime I'm done using it. So i pretty much had a rack year round. so my conclusion is that normal cars are not engineered around aerodynamics as the Prius. Thus, normal cars already have mediocre airflow. and putting on a roof rack does not really efffect it too much...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're absolutely right. but the point is, what mileage would you get with a 'normal' car?

7. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... you probably won't like my answers, but I'm stating the fact from experience. I had a Honda Accord which averaged about 25mpg and a Subaru WRX which averaged about 23mpg. Both cars I took to mammoth(with roof rack) actually averaged more than normal daily driving. granted I did not have 4 people but 3 at most. but i doubt that had much effect. For the most part, it's the hwy driving thats saving me more gas. I'd say a prius with a roof rack and a 700lbs load is comparable to a unloaded corolla without a rack.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like your answer just fine, but when you don't go to mammouth in your accord and the weather warms up, you were still getting 25 mpg while i was getting 60.

1 person likes this.
  9. amorris

amorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Took a trip from Texas to Florida several years ago in a Nissan Quest. With so much highway driving I was expecting to see a jump in mpg, but with rooftop luggage carrier we saw a dramatic drop in mpg. Don't recall the numbers, but the drop was dramatic, very noticeable.

10. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, I'm getting 50 myself on average. I'm not really complaining... just thought it was interesting to see the significant drop in MPG with a roof rack. :)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definately. the prius is optimized for mpg's when it leaves the factory. most changes/alterations will have a modest to major hit.

12. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mammoth is at what? 7,900 feet, and you schlepped a full load up there? Where'd you start from?

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    low 40's are what I get when crusing at 10,000ft over the Rocky Mountains (no case uptop, my 180cm skis fit perfectly with the back seat folded down). (Usually high 40's low 50's)

Honda Civic hybrid gets mid 20's with the same trip. Skis have to be put in diagonally in the back since the trunk doesnt fold down... (Usually low 40's)

Lexus RX gets high teens on the same trip. (Usually low to mid twenties).

So for all the weight and the added air-killer, I would say not bad.

14. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does altitude really have any negative effect on MPG? i know the steep grade does obviously. but let's say you were cruising at a constant 10,000 ft altitude, does it drop your mpg? in theory, MPG should be better because there's less power due to the thin air, no?

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My "cruising" is going up and down a few thousand vertical feet many many times over. I am not sure what other factors would play into FE at our altitudes. There is less air for ICE compression though...

16. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It ain't the altitude, it's getting there.

And you won't recover everything you lost going back down (Especially if you've buggered the aerodynamics.) It's the second law of thermodynamics.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My non-hybrids always produced better mpg at higher altitude, noticeable even at 3k-4k feet. A week spent in and around Yellowstone Park and Beartooth Pass, at elevations of 6k-11k feet and typical speed of 35 mph, produced spectacular results. If only I knew about hypermiling back then.

Non-hybrids gain two advantages in thin air -- less air drag and less part-throttle engine pumping loss. Atkinson cycle hybrids do not get the latter. Or more correctly, they get that advantage all the time, even at sea level, so the elevation change makes less difference.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also speak from experience, from a Thule rack originally an Accord hatchback, now on a Subaru Legacy wagon. As older models than yours, and not stationed in CA, they had better baseline mpg.

While weather and road conditions made direct comparison difficult, I'd have been very happy if the ski rack penalty for either could have been reduced to just 5%.

I also question your 4-person cargo load of just 700 pounds. Children? Anorexics? Spring bikini skiers with no change of clothing?

19. sa68ta

sa68ta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually better. I returned last week from Skiing hollidays in Italian Dolomiti. My Renault Scenic Diesel 1.9 achieved 33 MPG. Fully loaded with four people plus all ski gear and roof box. Not to mention that speed limit on EU Highways is 130 kph / 83 mph. 80% of my trip was @83 mph on the highway.

20. Bob Powers

Bob Powers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have some very small people if you each average 125 #. As your going into a ski area, there had to be a lot of hills (mountains) to ascend. With your afomentioned drag and the hills I would be praising 30 mpg.:)